• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Duff's post match comments

Andrew - North Hill

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
IMG-20230902-WA0010.jpg

Might I suggest that when you've been winless in your first 5 league matches, and your team is utterly shapeless, giving a post match interview suggesting you don't care if you lose both derby matches to your new club's most hated rivals isn't the best way to dampen down criticism and take the pressure off yourself.

At best it's naive, at worst it's completely tone deaf.

Not for the first time this summer he's left me scratching my head with something daft he's uttered in an interview.

I'm sorry but I really don't think he's the sharpest tool, is he?

Lose up there after the start we've had...and it's not the be and end all?
Massive alarm bells me thinks.

I get what he’s saying in essence….however, we’re not anywhere near a team that looks like it’ll survive this division at present, never mind get promoted, so I get the bravado of it, but it’s very Ill timed and gives off the wrong vibe due to the fact we find ourselves in a bit of a sh£t situation, albeit it’s still early doors, however, we’re now starting September and let’s face it, whilst it’s not desperate, losing to Cardiff won’t exactly have everyone on board, and he’s right, it’s not be all end all in the grand scheme, but say that to the players in private as it’s not what we want to hear let’s be honest.

Post-match interview from the OS below.

Again, says a lot of the right things in terms of identifying what went wrong, but every game that goes by where those things don't get fixed, it's going to heap pressure on him.

https://youtu.be/3b6LIA4hBv0

Just watched his comments on the OS. I thought he was honest and fair - didn’t single anyone out for criticism (unlike some former managers I can think of), praised Joe for one of the few bright performances. Interesting that people are latching on to one aspect in order to criticise him. Never stops, does it?

Maybe he should have burbled on about being brave and how much it hurt, like some overgrown toddler.

Gammons are always going to stick up for gammons.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we have a manager who's winless in the league but still feels sufficiently emboldened to tell the fans the forthcoming derby fixture is not really all that important and he doesn't care if we win or not.

I mean, read the room Mick. Say it in private if you must. But keep it there.

cadleigh said:
Just watched his comments on the OS. I thought he was honest and fair - didn’t single anyone out for criticism (unlike some former managers I can think of), praised Joe for one of the few bright performances. Interesting that people are latching on to one aspect in order to criticise him. Never stops, does it?

I was indifferent to Martin, didn’t hate him, but didn’t love him, some of his after interviews were car crashes, and I’m not against Duff either, I’m not happy with our start, and you have to say some things lay with him, but time and patience is the key, and hopefully new signings, sweep a broom with this international break and let’s get going, but, be honest, he didn’t exactly light himself in glory with the Cardiff quote, I completely understand what he’s getting at, and partially agree, but right where we are at the moment I just feel it was something he will find most people will be disappointed with, I’ve no agenda against him, I want him to succeed as it means we succeed, and words on social media mean f all to be honest, but every facet is scrutinised and I personally think he’s not thought that one through completely, even though I don’t disagree with what he’s getting at.

Its a role reversal, even if that is the reality of the situation, you have to have a little bit of nous not to actually say it..

Would you prefer he talked about a relegation fight or? :roll:

The only thing that narks me about that selected quote is that it sounds like the last couple of scum managers in the lead up to the derby game.

I don't think it was the wisest thing to say, but has anyone considered that he's probably trying to take the pressure off the players a bit? At the moment they look clueless as to what they're supposed to be doing out there (which Duff has to both take responsibility for and find a way to correct on the training ground), so admitting the derby is a must win is hardly going to be beneficial is it?

Longlostjack said:
Amazing the vitriol against the manager after a couple of games. Nothing wrong with being a gammon. It’s plastics that get on my man boobs.

It's amazing how posters who had nothing to say about about yesterday's signings (apart from a few sly digs at Lowe) have suddenly found their keyboards now that the Legacy Martin defence has yet again shipped goals and the manager has made an off-hand remark that we all probably wish he'd kept to himself although most of would agree with it.

Fact is, the Church of Martin was largely built on supporters too young to remember the Premier League who mistook two Derby wins for success. Enjoyable though it was to do the Double (and the Double Double), the sooner we let go of the crack pipe of Cardiff-envy the better.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back