• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Finally – Swansea City and Southampton agree Martin compensation

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
It appears as if the Russell Martin saga could finally be coming to an end with news today that compensation between the two clubs appears to be agreed and that Martin will be confirmed today or tomorrow as the new Saints boss. The discussion of compensation has rumbled on for some weeks now with discussions...

Read more

"Martin’s move will bring to an end his two years at Swansea where he steadied a side that was reeling from a play off defeat"

😂😂😂

Bluenile said:
"Martin’s move will bring to an end his two years at Swansea where he steadied a side that was reeling from a play off defeat"

😂😂😂

Coming in on the eve of a season that saw the club lose it's manager with backroom staff coupled with us losing players such as Woodman, Guehi, Hourihane, Ayew and on the verge of losing Roberts then I think the task at hand shouldn't be played down.

I am not trying to make out he was some saviour because clearly he wasn't but let's have a sense of reality of what we were facing at the time.

swansnews said:
It appears as if the Russell Martin saga could finally be coming to an end with news today that compensation between the two clubs appears to be agreed and that Martin will be confirmed today or tomorrow as the new Saints boss. The discussion of compensation has rumbled on for some weeks now with discussions...

Read more

This is good news. Will be interesting to see what the fee is but I would suspect it will undisclosed.

We can now push on with our appointment, pre season and our recruitment.

magicdaps10 said:
Coming in on the eve of a season that saw the club lose it's manager with backroom staff coupled with us losing players such as Woodman, Guehi, Hourihane, Ayew and on the verge of losing Roberts then I think the task at hand shouldn't be played down.

I am not trying to make out he was some saviour because clearly he wasn't but let's have a sense of reality of what we were facing at the time.

You mean like now after we have finished 10th, losing our manager and backroom staff, CEO, and losing Manning, Latibeaudiere, Cundle, on the verge of losing Piroe and possibly Grimes and Fulton according to reports. Can probably add Whittaker and a few we haven't yet heard are looking for a way out.

Not to mention we only have one senior goalkeeper until Benda returns to action. That's assuming Fisher hasn't found a way out of the club, I can't see another goalkeeping coach falling for his calamity of performances, and by all accounts Duff doesn't value playing the ball as a GK half as highly as Russ ever has.

Can't downplay the task from here, finishing 4th under Cooper, we then dropped down 11 places under Martin to 15th. A similar drop now sees us 21st, dangerously close to dropping down (not realistic I know, just showing the magnitude of it). This managerial appointment is going to be pivotal for our future as a Championship club. As is the business we do in the window.

SwansInTheLake said:
You mean like now after we have finished 10th, losing our manager and backroom staff, CEO, and losing Manning, Latibeaudiere, Cundle, on the verge of losing Piroe and possibly Grimes and Fulton according to reports. Can probably add Whittaker and a few we haven't yet heard are looking for a way out.

Not to mention we only have one senior goalkeeper until Benda returns to action. That's assuming Fisher hasn't found a way out of the club, I can't see another goalkeeping coach falling for his calamity of performances, and by all accounts Duff doesn't value playing the ball as a GK half as highly as Russ ever has.

Can't downplay the task from here, finishing 4th under Cooper, we then dropped down 11 places under Martin to 15th. A similar drop now sees us 21st, dangerously close to dropping down (not realistic I know, just showing the magnitude of it). This managerial appointment is going to be pivotal for our future as a Championship club. As is the business we do in the window.

You're absolutely spot on.
Another summer and season of uncertainty and I am hoping the new man can steady the ship once again.
Certainly I hope the new guy to highlight the issues defensively but I won't be expecting any miracles or putting any silly expectations in whoever gets the job.

Hopefully a good recruitment might change the picture but as I say......no unrealistic expectations from myself.

If Duff see's a future here for him to further develop his managerial career fair play to him, he's done very well up to now.

Hope it comes off and if it does lets see if we can keep him happy enough to stop here longer than the two years the last 3 managers have stayed, its a two way street though he'll need the owners support.

What’s the chances, we’ll be in the same situation in two years time? It’s Swanseas version of Groundhog Day

Niigata Jack said:
If Duff see's a future here for him to further develop his managerial career fair play to him, he's done very well up to now.

Hope it comes off and if it does lets see if we can keep him happy enough to stop here longer than the two years the last 3 managers have stayed, its a two way street though he'll need the owners support.

When was the last time we had a manager for more than two seasons? Roberto?

TerryPHELAN said:
What’s the chances, we’ll be in the same situation in two years time? It’s Swanseas version of Groundhog Day

Hope not, need to change this cycle, it'll need commitment from both Owners and Manger though, although I'm not convinced that Martin was all that wanted here by them, but who knows, he was very lucky to keep his job after that winless run, most clubs would have sacked him.

Last I saw average tenure across the EFL was in the neighborhood of 450-500 days, fwiw. Championship tends to have the shortest tenure, if I recall.

bakajack said:
When was the last time we had a manager for more than two seasons? Roberto?

Roberto just got over the 2 season mark due to joining in February 2007

Before that Kenny Jackett was involved in 4 different seasons (joined April 2004 and left February 2007)

Finally confirmed.

Notice we are still fighting the compo part.

Duff to be confirmed tomorrow now if I was a betting man. Probably due a shed load of announcements with Watson etc aswell.

"The club also stands firm in our belief that we are owed full compensation for Russell, and we will continue working diligently and strategically to protect the best interests of the club."

So compo not agreed, but we've let him go presumably to stop it dragging out any longer.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back