• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Grimes

Been having this exact same debate with someone else recently.

Did you know a "progressive pass" is defined as a pass that is a minimum 10 metres long and moves the ball from one quarter of the pitch to another?

In other words, what Grimes does constantly for 90 minutes - getting it off the centre backs and passing it out to the flanks, usually to an advanced full back in our own half.

The metric itself is utter bollocks in terms of usefulness or impact but because he hits 90%+ it makes him brilliant apparently...
I've often wondered how he's top of the stats for progressive passes, that definition makes sense.

Likewise how he's constantly top of the stats for forward passes, when he spends so much time being deeper than the CBs then any pass he makes will be forward (as long as he can fight the instinct to go back to the keeper)

Bollocks, isn't it.
Yes, it is.

I detest what football is becoming. I used to watch every bit of it I could. Thinking nothing of spending 10+ hours on a Sunday doing nothing but watching Sky Sports. These days I can barely bring myself to spare the time to watching Swans away games. Certainly I rarely put other clubs on.

Boring, detailed, mechanical, robotic nonsense.

It's fair to say he grinds my gears. I find myself shouting at the telly - and that's not healthy. Too much needless, pointless, safe backwards or sideways passing. He kills momentum. Little appreciation of what's around him when he receives the ball. Rarely, if ever, drives forward - and when he gets into advanced positions he doesn't really know what to do. He needs binning but I don't know who'd replace him. Until we do, we're going to see slow turgid football. Just saying like.

Yes, it is.

I detest what football is becoming. I used to watch every bit of it I could. Thinking nothing of spending 10+ hours on a Sunday doing nothing but watching Sky Sports. These days I can barely bring myself to spare the time to watching Swans away games. Certainly I rarely put other clubs on.

This was my point the other day. Unbeatable Man City bore me to tears even if they score six. It’s horrible.

I watched a recording of the 1970 FACup final the other day. Brilliant, exciting, violent. I was riveted to it. No one cared about possession stats.

I’m finding us totally unwatchable.

It's fair to say he grinds my gears. I find myself shouting at the telly - and that's not healthy. Too much needless, pointless, safe backwards or sideways passing. He kills momentum. Little appreciation of what's around him when he receives the ball. Rarely, if ever, drives forward - and when he gets into advanced positions he doesn't really know what to do. He needs binning but I don't know who'd replace him. Until we do, we're going to see slow turgid football. Just saying like.
🤣 I do that too “go forward you f*****g ***t”. Not just at Grimes. It’s definitely not healthy.

Yes, it is.

It’s a simple game being made complicated by clueless managers and pundits alike.
Low block
Recycling the ball
Playing through the lines
We never had this bollocks twenty/thirty years ago.

It’s a simple game being made complicated by clueless managers and pundits alike.
Low block
Recycling the ball
Brian Clough is turning in his grave.

Yes, it is.

I get it.

Going away from Grimes a little bit now, but this trend towards roboticism - and let's face it, it's all because of Pep - is becoming a bit farcical, especially in the lower leagues where you're seeing vastly inferior players (and we've got a few) trying to play out from the back, inviting the press, trying to work angles.

I don't have stats or any analysis to hand to back this up, but I swear you never used to see as many defensive fuck ups that lead directly to goals as you see these days. Every week, you stick the football league highlights on, you'll see some keeper and his centre backs getting in one hell of a mess. It's because they're being asked to do stuff they're not capable of doing. It's absolute madness really.

Low block
Recycling the ball
Low block = Park the bus
Recycling the ball = Start again

It's the same game just with modern terminology so managers and coaches can feel intelligent

Low block
Recycling the ball

I would love to hear Frankie Burrows' response to the very concept of xG.

I get it.

Going away from Grimes a little bit now, but this trend towards roboticism - and let's face it, it's all because of Pep - is becoming a bit farcical, especially in the lower leagues where you're seeing vastly inferior players (and we've got a few) trying to play out from the back, inviting the press, trying to work angles.

I don't have stats or any analysis to hand to back this up, but I swear you never used to see as many defensive fuck ups that lead directly to goals as you see these days. Every week, you stick the football league highlights on, you'll see some keeper and his centre backs getting in one hell of a mess. It's because they're being asked to do stuff they're not capable of doing. It's absolute madness really.
What happened to the simple mantra of playing to your strengths?

"xG" - aka, we missed a lot of chances that we probably should have scored. But we didn't.

Or, we just had one of those days where everything went in.

Pseudoscience.

The Grimes Singularity

A Grimes singularity is a condition in which ineffectual passing is predicted to be so intense that football itself would break down catastrophically. As such, a Grimes singularity is by definition no longer part of the regular football spacetime and cannot be determined by "winning" or "losing", only by 'backwards' and 'sideways'. A footballer lost in the Grimes singularity has no concept of purpose or direction outside incrementing his passing stats. etc. etc.

Funny thing with Grimes is, wasn't he our leading assist guy last season? or joint with Tymon? He's both the black hole that sucks the life out of our midfield, and the only one who seems able to exist with any effectiveness in there.

I think he’s unfairly criticised. He’s a technically proficient footballer who covers a lot of ground and keeps us ticking over. He looks to get the ball forward more than he gets credit for. People seem to want him to do everything, but It’s the others around him who are the bigger problem imo.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back