• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

How is your local pub doing?

dickythorpe

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
A lot of uncertainty out there.
Black Friday run up was ok but since then orders are down.
Just wondering what Planet Swans posters are seeing out and about in their local areas.

Ours (the Whilte Lion, Felinfoel) was much quieter than expected on Black Friday. I was in there from about 3pm and it was steady but not like the usual last working Friday of the year. There was live music in the evening which possibly brought a few more in, but again not packed. Saturday afternoon was quiet as was yesterday afternoon when it's usually packed for carvery lunches. Not been in today yet :lol: will trundle down this afternoon whilst waiting for Mrs C to finish work.

Cooperman said:
Ours (the Whilte Lion, Felinfoel) was much quieter than expected on Black Friday. I was in there from about 3pm and it was steady but not like the usual last working Friday of the year. There was live music in the evening which possibly brought a few more in, but again not packed. Saturday afternoon was quiet as was yesterday afternoon when it's usually packed for carvery lunches. Not been in today yet :lol: will trundle down this afternoon whilst waiting for Mrs C to finish work.

That’s interesting Cooperman because I lived, three decades ago, a few doors up from the Royal Oak in Felinfoel and loved the place. Great pubs and lovely walks along the old Cynheidre branch plus Swiss Valley lakes. A real gem of a village.

My local now is the Kings Arms in Pentyrch on the north west of Cardiff. Great pub and good food, with lots of awards because it is a picturesque former Welsh long house with roaring fireplaces etc. Still open and hoping it keeps going. Pre Covid it was a real rip roaring local. It’s on the Brains for sale list.

My other local isn’t a pub because pubs don’t really exist there, it’s a Bistro called Lillstrommer in the Skargard. Mrs PentyrchJack is out there at moment with family because and I’m back home keeping the wheels turning.

I don’t really have a local, but my favourite pub, the old nags head in Monmouth, seems as it ever was when I’m in there. Was there before the Robert Plant gig the other night and they had a band on too. Coincidentally, Plant said he used to frequent that pub when they were recording at Rockfield.

Pentyrchjack said:
Cooperman said:

That’s interesting Cooperman because I lived, three decades ago, a few doors up from the Royal Oak in Felinfoel and loved the place. Great pubs and lovely walks along the old Cynheidre branch plus Swiss Valley lakes. A real gem of a village.

A few doors up as in Adulam Row? You're right, it's a lovely walk up passed the chapel and onto the Cynheidre path. Either way works fine, downhill to the beach or uphill to Five Roads.

My favourite local, the King Hotel in the Bont is no longer there. It was knocked down this year and a new Co-op has been built in its place. 😢

A proper little miners boozer..and a hundred and forty years of good times swept away by economics.

Not sure about pubs, but restaurants are struggling for staff too. Pierre's in Mumbles was sold out last Friday lunchtime but only half empty/full. They can only take reservations pro rata with available staff.

There's a new bar opened in Sketty which strictly speaking is my new local. They've propped a blackboard outside proclaiming it to be open yet every time I pass by it looks distinctly closed.

I haven’t been in a pub for over two years, since I retired, and pubs were struggling big time even before Covid.
My job meant I was in pubs and clubs every day and knowing a lot of owners, landlords, and committees at the time, the drop in custom over the previous few years was already having a huge affect on turnover. I imagine that it hasn’t got any better for any of them sadly. 😟

Muteswan said:
I haven’t been in a pub for over two years, since I retired, and pubs were struggling big time even before Covid.
My job meant I was in pubs and clubs every day...

So, purely for my curiosity (if you don't mind me asking), given your former line of work, do you see trips to the pub as a sort of busman's holiday? Or are you just not a social drinker?

Busman’s holiday definitely, was in the business for 40 years. Smoking ban for me was heaven, not going home stinking of smoke every day.
Main reason for not being in since Covid is I’m immuno suppressed.

One of my past locals🙈
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/poplars-pub-noise-carmarthenshire-licence-22462477

What was our local got turned in to a nursery/crèche steal years ago, the next nearest pub is a 1.5m walk away and is a chain type pub belonging to a major brewery. A local is so important, but the way things are going they are disappearing fast.

Swansea City v Stoke City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back