• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Japanese Restaurants

Niigata Jack

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Anyone been to any? Lad would like to go for his birthday, not sure I'll fancy or like the food myself, but I'll try.

My nephew and his wife went to one in Portugal last week. Said it was lovely. Does that help?

Anyone been to any? Lad would like to go for his birthday, not sure I'll fancy or like the food myself, but I'll try.
Been to loads. If you don’t like Ramen you should be able to get a good steak or Katsu Curry. Can’t go wrong.

Has anyone been to the new one in Swansea called Joyato next door to Vue cinema

I have been to Japan at least fifty times over the years and the star attraction has always been the grub. Aside from the obvious sushi…

Ramen: think noodles and meat in a broth
Japanese curry: not unlike Chinese curry
Tempura: battered fish and veg
Onigiri: stuffed rice balls
Yakisoba: basically chow mein
Okonomiyaki: think savoury pancake
Gyoza: oriental filled dumpling
Donburi: a rice bowl with various add ons

And my all time favourite, Shabu Shabu: boil your own meat, veg and bizarrely an egg, comes with a choice of dipping sauces and then you’re left with a tasty broth for a final slurp.

Not for everyone’s taste, for sure.

I have been to Japan at least fifty times over the years and the star attraction has always been the grub. Aside from the obvious sushi…

Ramen: think noodles and meat in a broth
Japanese curry: not unlike Chinese curry
Tempura: battered fish and veg
Onigiri: stuffed rice balls
Yakisoba: basically chow mein
Okonomiyaki: think savoury pancake
Gyoza: oriental filled dumpling
Donburi: a rice bowl with various add ons

And my all time favourite, Shabu Shabu: boil your own meat, veg and bizarrely an egg, comes with a choice of dipping sauces and then you’re left with a tasty broth for a final slurp.

Not for everyone’s taste, for sure.
Have you been to Niigata?

That's the one he fancies, it seems, he's away with work at moment, but he's looked a few up.
The lunch menu looks quite good. Katsu curry or teriyaki chicken for £12 or so isn’t bad. It’s not left field Japanese, but more than a taster.

No, but I know where it is. We used to have a plant in Gunma and the quickest way there was via the Tokyo-Niigata bullet train.

What’s with your user name?
I keep Japanese Koi Carp and Niigata is where all the top Koi breeders got their Koi mud ponds and Koi Houses, Hiroshima's Koi industry is growing to, I'd love to go there, but I believe that you got to go with a Tour party from a Koi dealer over here, don't think they'd entertain you just rocking up there unannounced etc,

Or you could email them and ask. Nothing to lose.

Just tell them that you are prepared to travel 12,000 miles and they are the main reason. 1 They'd feel complimented and it's just an email. 2 You might feature as the last item on a Japanese news broadcast as a 'crazy Englishman'. 3 It would probably piss off the Proclaimers.

Much respect to you for cultivating Koi carp

I keep Japanese Koi Carp and Niigata is where all the top Koi breeders got their Koi mud ponds and Koi Houses, Hiroshima's Koi industry is growing to, I'd love to go there, but I believe that you got to go with a Tour party from a Koi dealer over here, don't think they'd entertain you just rocking up there unannounced etc,
It’s a damn long way to go these days as well. The embargo on flying over Russia means you can’t take the straight line route up over Scandinavia.

I didn’t know about the Niigata mud ponds, I shall do some reading.

That's the one he fancies, it seems, he's away with work at moment, but he's looked a few up.
Here you go, Max. One of the more left field dishes which you won’t find on the menu in Swansea. Boiled pigs womb…

Attachments

• 68543C47-4ACB-4061-86E5-9D461081D6C0.jpeg
    68543C47-4ACB-4061-86E5-9D461081D6C0.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 4

West Brom v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members