• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Legalising Marijuana

• Thread starter Darran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 80
  • Views: Views 7,064
JackSomething said:
I've known plenty of people in my life who have enjoyed a spliff or two. To the best of my knowledge, none of them have moved on to heroin or become drug addicts.

I've also known plenty more people who enjoyed getting pissed. Some of them have definitely gone on to have alcohol addiction problems.

NJ's got a point here. The way we treat drug use now isn't working, so why not try something new? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over etc...

Couldt have put it any better myself.

JackSomething said:
I've known plenty of people in my life who have enjoyed a spliff or two. To the best of my knowledge, none of them have moved on to heroin or become drug addicts.

I've also known plenty more people who enjoyed getting pissed. Some of them have definitely gone on to have alcohol addiction problems.

NJ's got a point here. The way we treat drug use now isn't working, so why not try something new? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over etc...

Before this country gave in to years and years of pressure from the USA, all the most common drugs were being used by many people here, and most were able to carry on functioning in their everyday lives. It was only when they became outlawed and therefore control given to criminal gangs that they became a problem. Some very good books out there on the subject.

The biggest drinkers seem to be the people most against legalising any drug, but they can't give you a reason for why they wouldn't want to see alcohol outlawed either. Well they can, but they just don't want to say it.

This country has a huge problem with alcohol, drink when sad, drink when happy, drink to forget, drink to watch sport, it goes on and on. Basically any excuse to drink. You see grown men bragging about how much they can or are going to drink, like it's a measure of their masculinity. Remember when smoking used to be seen as a masculine activity? And look at it now.

The "war on drugs" is the biggest waste of money in the world, a complete and utter failure. It is one war that will never ever be won.

JackSomething said:

Its not working, I agree. but the opinion that the drug dealers will disappear if drugs are legalised isn't true, the drug dealers will still be here and the black market for drugs will still strive on, in my opinion.

I'm against non prescribed drugs.

The fact I enjoy a drink as nothing to do with any of it, alcohol is another subject all together in my opinion, although it clear has its problems, massive problems for some at that, sadly.

Neath_Jack said:
JackSomething said:

Before this country gave in to years and years of pressure from the USA, all the most common drugs were being used by many people here, and most were able to carry on functioning in their everyday lives. It was only when they became outlawed and therefore control given to criminal gangs that they became a problem. Some very good books out there on the subject.

The biggest drinkers seem to be the people most against legalising any drug, but they can't give you a reason for why they wouldn't want to see alcohol outlawed either. Well they can, but they just don't want to say it.

This country has a huge problem with alcohol, drink when sad, drink when happy, drink to forget, drink to watch sport, it goes on and on. Basically any excuse to drink. You see grown men bragging about how much they can or are going to drink, like it's a measure of their masculinity. Remember when smoking used to be seen as a masculine activity? And look at it now.

The "war on drugs" is the biggest waste of money in the world, a complete and utter failure. It is one war that will never ever be won.

‘The biggest drinkers seem to be the people most against legalising any drug’
What evidence is there to support that?
That’s like saying all drug users want alcohol outlawed,
As was mentioned above, legalising drugs would not put drug dealers out of business, if anything it would give them more customers.

Lifelong said:
Neath_Jack said:

‘The biggest drinkers seem to be the people most against legalising any drug’
What evidence is there to support that?
That’s like saying all drug users want alcohol outlawed,
As was mentioned above, legalising drugs would not put drug dealers out of business, if anything it would give them more customers.

Hang on fairs fair a minute, i answered your previous question last night. I'll answer all of your questions with no issues at all. But first, answer my question to you from last night first.

Why don't you want to see alcohol criminalised?

I’m sitting here, as is my habit on a Saturday night, drinking a cold beer and smoking a cigarette while watching the footie. Loving life. Im doing no damage, other than to myself and that’s my choice. So my question is, if someone else would like to enjoy their own Saturday night in a similar fashion only replacing the beer with a spliff, what’s the problem?

exiledclaseboy said:
I’m sitting here, as is my habit on a Saturday night, drinking a cold beer and smoking a cigarette while watching the footie. Loving life. Im doing no damage, other than to myself and that’s my choice. So my question is, if someone else would like to enjoy their own Saturday night in a similar fashion only replacing the beer with a spliff, what’s the problem?

In answer to you question...

Absolutely nothing at all.

If beer is legal then Marijuana should also be. It's an idiocy that it isn't. To be honest, legalisation (or at least decriminalisation) is needed for all drugs. Prohibition doesn't work. Never has worked. Time we stopped kidding ourselves.

Having said that, I think we're a long way away from the fairly harmless dope of years gone by to some of the skunk doing the rounds these days. If legalisation is on the cards then it will come with problems in the same way alcohol does.

Dr. Winston said:
If beer is legal then Marijuana should also be. It's an idiocy that it isn't. To be honest, legalisation (or at least decriminalisation) is needed for all drugs. Prohibition doesn't work. Never has worked. Time we stopped kidding ourselves.

Having said that, I think we're a long way away from the fairly harmless dope of years gone by to some of the skunk doing the rounds these days. If legalisation is on the cards then it will come with problems in the same way alcohol does.

That's a very good point. However with it being legalised there would be a steady stream of income to fund activities to manage addiction etc.

And going in the opposite direction today, Home Secretary Suella Braverman is in favour of making marijuana a Class A drug, equal to cocaine and heroin. So potentially you could be jailed for 8 years if found with it.

It's never going to happen, but it certainly appeals to her fan base.

Dr. Winston said:

You’re spot on about the skunk that’s being smoked today, it’s far more potent than the cannabis that was around years ago.

I work with a couple of ex mental health nurses and psychiatrists and there is no doubt that smoking weed causes mental health problems including psychosis. The number of patients in mental health wards who are there because of weed surprised me, it’s defo an issue. That said, alcohol is a problem too and hospitals also have their fair share of patients who are alcoholics.

I’ve seen the damage and misery alcohol and drugs can cause, but these days I’m more inclined to go down the route of legalising possession of cannabis for personal use. I’d tax it and sell it through licensed distributors, I’d ramp up the penalties for production and supplying cannabis outside official channels, income would be reinvested in education and treatment programmes. I’d also think about doing the same with stronger drugs, but that would need more consideration. Legalising drugs has its negatives, but it has some positives and would hopefully put the gangsters out of business.

MajorR said:
Dr. Winston said:

You’re spot on about the skunk that’s being smoked today, it’s far more potent than the cannabis that was around years ago.

I work with a couple of ex mental health nurses and psychiatrists and there is no doubt that smoking weed causes mental health problems including psychosis. The number of patients in mental health wards who are there because of weed surprised me, it’s defo an issue. That said, alcohol is a problem too and hospitals also have their fair share of patients who are alcoholics.

I’ve seen the damage and misery alcohol and drugs can cause, but these days I’m more inclined to go down the route of legalising possession of cannabis for personal use. I’d tax it and sell it through licensed distributors, I’d ramp up the penalties for production and supplying cannabis outside official channels, income would be reinvested in education and treatment programmes. I’d also think about doing the same with stronger drugs, but that would need more consideration. Legalising drugs has its negatives, but it has some positives and would hopefully put the gangsters out of business.

I'd suggest that a lot of those mental health issues were there with, or without the use of cannabis.

Have a listen to a catch up of David Lammy on LBC this morning, alcoholism was one of the subject, some brilliant and emotional callers.

MajorR said:

I work with a couple of ex mental health nurses and psychiatrists and there is no doubt that smoking weed causes mental health problems including psychosis. The number of patients in mental health wards who are there because of weed surprised me, it’s defo an issue.

Addiction issues are a big part of my job so it's something we get regularly updated on. Mostly it just seems to make heavy users lethargic, particularly since a lot of smokers have done little else since March 2020. Those who are prone to mental illness are particularly vulnerable to over use though as you say.

Some people you can smell it on them from 20 feet away. Their clothes are totally impregnated with it.

Glyn1 said:
And going in the opposite direction today, Home Secretary Suella Braverman is in favour of making marijuana a Class A drug, equal to cocaine and heroin. So potentially you could be jailed for 8 years if found with it.

It's never going to happen, but it certainly appeals to her fan base.

She’s an idiot. A dangerous and unpleasant one at that.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back