• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Now let’s talk about Matthew Grimes.

Everyone has a price and what is this price whereby it makes good sense to sell him and a) reinvest b) balance the books a little?

I will open the bidding at £10m minimum, £5m for reinvestment and the other half plugging a financial hole.

Itchysphincter said:
As the Martin out saga has played out I’ve heard lots of talk of who he’ll take to Soton with him.

Grimes is a name that keeps coming up. Now as I have consistently been in a minority of one, regularly receiving pelters over the last five years or so due my unwavering support for our captain, am I correct in thinking that Matthew Grimes to Southampton was cause even bigger celebrations than Martin out?

If Allen wasn't struggling with fitness I would be less concerned, but we don't really have anyone else to fulfil the "metronome" position that Grimes has made his own lately. Walsh could fill those shoes and has shown an excellent eye for a pass but his fitness is also a matter of concern

bakajack said:
If Allen wasn't struggling with fitness I would be less concerned, but we don't really have anyone else to fulfil the "metronome" position that Grimes has made his own lately. Walsh could fill those shoes and has shown an excellent eye for a pass but his fitness is also a matter of concern

Don’t refer to it as “metronome”. A metronome just goes repeatedly back and forth, from side to side.

Oh hang on a mo :lol:

bakajack said:

Go get Barry Bannen.

Grimes is just an ordinary football player given far more respect than he would be if he played anywhere else. We saw a host of better midfield players at the Liberty last season and will next season. That said, he is better than Martin made him look, as we saw with Potter and, very briefly, with Cooper. So if he stays great, he can fight for his place and show he has more to his attacking game than he’s showed for two seasons other than once in a blue moon, but no way should he be captain. If he goes to Soton as Martins new ‘Fish’ who ‘gets it’, we need to demand top dollar and afterwards have a good laugh because he won’t be taking them forwards with Martin…literally or figuratively, especially if he makes him captain with all those ex premier league egos around.

If we can’t get a decent wedge we should keep and see if we can ‘shop window’ him, or get more out of him, but no one should open a vein if he goes.

Considering that he was basically available on a free not that long ago and didn't attract anything better than he already had people may have to temper their expectations regarding a likely fee.

Having said that, if he is so vital to RM's process then we could possibly wrangle a bit more out of Southampton than others might be willing to pay.

He can be very inconsistent over the course of a season but we are better off with him in the side than whatever the alternative would be.

Could do without losing our better players as well as coaching staff.

Hillbillyjack said:
Stupid comment he's an holding midfielder one the best in world Kanye only scored about 15 in his career roy kean 30 something,he's in there do a job and scoring goals ain't one them
Holding midfielder or not, four goals in five seasons is a poor return. Personally, I’d like to see him in a more advanced role, he’s more a creative player IMHO, and can pick a pass others can’t see. Under Cooper and Martin he’s probably regressed.

He's possibly the most overrated and weirdly loved by everyone.. but JDG, Ki, Cork even Tom Carroll were playing a different sport compared to Grimes and they were pretty much lambasted weekly, Pozuelo and Canos, Orlandi were all better players an all, yet derided all over the web.. I don't know what we've become, but we've been accustomed to accepting average players and managers as god's in a midtable team.. oddest love in I've ever seen

custodian of our penchant for retaining possession.
chief architect, heartbeat and most influential leader for being calm under pressure, instilling belief and confidence.

managers' perennial 1st name on the team sheet.

Grimesy now has multiple options one of which is irresistible (not Southampton, obvs).

Meanwhile, let’s hope we land our prime target. A game changer who would likely persuade him to stay and fulfil his true potential here.

TerryPHELAN said:
Holding midfielder or not, four goals in five seasons is a poor return. Personally, I’d like to see him in a more advanced role, he’s more a creative player IMHO, and can pick a pass others can’t see. Under Cooper and Martin he’s probably regressed.

Agree with this. Strange how Martin the genius didn’t try it as part of his process.

backofthenet said:
Grimesy now has multiple options one of which is irresistible (not Southampton, obvs).

Meanwhile, let’s hope we land our prime target. A game changer who would likely persuade him to stay and fulfil his true potential here.

Who’s our prime target to persuade him to stay, Pirlo?

backofthenet said:

An interesting post but surely has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt without anything more concrete from yourself.
It covers the fact that you say he could go but might stay also......its covering the bases without giving anything concrete from yourself.

Its not a case you will be banged up if you name the teams or the person you are referring to, be brave and put up.

I wouldn't entirely back Allen, Walsh or Ntcham to save us from a relegation scrap.

100 per cent Grimes and Fulton will ensure we stay up in my opinion provided they can stay fit.

I can't see Cundle coming back and it is a lot to ask of Cooper and other youngsters to come through to turn tough games into draws or narrow wins.

I wouldn't focus too much on Grimes, he is a cool captain, technically gifted and a pleasue to play under.

We need a Montero or similar on the wing and then we will see a few passes pinged out from centre half to get us out of danger. Grimes or Fulton can dig us out of a hole most times but we need another type of option in attack.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back