• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Now let’s talk about Matthew Grimes.

Longlostjack said:
Agree with this. Strange how Martin the genius didn’t try it as part of his process.

He did. Grimes played more advanced than Downes a bunch of times and it didn't work because Grimes is a risk-averse defensive midfielder at heart (and one of the best in the division for 5 years now). He gets a nose bleed in the final third and can only pick those creative passes when he has the whole game in front of him.

One of our biggest problems under Martin has been filling the team with too many conservative water carriers and expecting some of them to become ambitious attacking threats. Our best form came with Grimes doing the grunt/stats work on his own, with Ntcham and Cundle having a go either side. A far cry from the days of Downes+Grimes+Korey Smith as a 10.

jasper_T said:
He did. Grimes played more advanced than Downes a bunch of times and it didn't work because Grimes is a risk-averse defensive midfielder at heart (and one of the best in the division for 5 years now). He gets a nose bleed in the final third and can only pick those creative passes when he has the whole game in front of him.

One of our biggest problems under Martin has been filling the team with too many conservative water carriers and expecting some of them to become ambitious attacking threats. Our best form came with Grimes doing the grunt/stats work on his own, with Ntcham and Cundle having a go either side. A far cry from the days of Downes+Grimes+Korey Smith as a 10.

100%. Grimes is brilliant as a single pivot, a whole another level (and he's good regardless).

The Korey Smith as a 10 thing drove me mad but Fulton also played there several times. It was baffling. Made worse by the fact Lati was playing wing back most of the time. Just too many defensive players in the attacking third.

Even Ntcham and Cundle playing as 10s didn't work. They looked brilliant players at this level playing as number 8s.

Hoping we get a new boss who will play 4 3 3.

Matty Grimes is a class act at what he does, and I'd like to think our next manager has the vision to get the best out of him. I can still see his slide rule pass to Obafemi for his goal against Cardiff at the Liberty, sheer bluddy poetry.

Pegojack said:
Matty Grimes is a class act at what he does, and I'd like to think our next manager has the vision to get the best out of him. I can still see his slide rule pass to Obafemi for his goal against Cardiff at the Liberty, sheer bluddy poetry.

You’re clearly a connoisseur of proper DCM play. Our Grimesy is our main man.

So much so our Owners are not bending over backwards to the Saints.

And nor should they, nor anyone bend over backwards. Hey, JackFish ?

This is the Grimes who was given the corner taking duties by both Cooper and Martin but was unable to provide quality corners with any consistency at all, removed from those duties eventually by both managers, then given the last defender role at corners only to be found out because of his lack of pace leading to the inevitable break away goal being conceded under Cooper and Martin that role was taking away from him as well, only after the number of substitutions he ends up there again, why as Captian he let's himself be exposed time and time again instead of insisting one of the faster midfielders takes the role.
Found both Downes and Allen played the DCM role far better, although Downes tended to be crowded out by Grimes who comes back to play the two yard pass often taking one touch too many.
Under Cooper it was noticeable how slow he was with the inclusion of Hourihane who was unable to do the covering work Corey Smith and Fulton had to do.
For me he is one of the reason we struggle to get forward with any pace, always taking the easy path, as for slide rule through balls, I've seen so may over hit balls by him ending up with goal kicks.
Not enough quality I'm afraid or is he just playing well beneath his best given his inclusion seems to be a certainty?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back