• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Our Defending

Skippyjack

Michu
Reaction score
I know we have the most clean sheets in the league, but what is it with our defending sometimes, we look weak and frail and easy to play against, as a defender, Martin needs to have a word with them, because the goals we're shipping are so avoidable, and Grimes today, almost gifting them a few goals with a few give aways, he's only had two decent games this season, needs a rocket, but he won't be benched because he's teachers pet for every manager, can't wait to see the back of him, maybe we'll have a chance once he's finally gone, but his stats are great etc etc..

Skippyjack said:
I know we have the most clean sheets in the league, but what is it with our defending sometimes, we look weak and frail and easy to play against, as a defender, Martin needs to have a word with them, because the goals we're shipping are so avoidable, and Grimes today, almost gifting them a few goals with a few give aways, he's only had two decent games this season, needs a rocket, but he won't be benched because he's teachers pet for every manager, can't wait to see the back of him, maybe we'll have a chance once he's finally gone, but his stats are great etc etc..
We too open and square at back it's suicidal on times

Personally, I weren’t confident after seeing Latibeaudiere starting when we had Cabango and Williams on the bench! We weren’t terrible today by any means, but as OP says, the goals we concede seem avoidable. All in all though, if you offered me 2 wins out of 3 games before the Cardiff game, I’d have snatched your hands off.

Missed Downes defensively today, he's been great last few games fair play.

cabango looked good weds, lati is a decent back up rwb but nothing else

Yeah Downes would have sorted out Deeney a bit better than we did. He won every aerial challenge and was up to all his old tricks, like the late foot left in on Hamer and we didn’t respond.

Malvernjack said:
Yeah Downes would have sorted out Deeney a bit better than we did. He won every aerial challenge and was up to all his old tricks, like the late foot left in on Hamer and we didn’t respond.

As soon as I saw the team sheet and seen Deeneys name, I knew hed get a chance or 2 , as the manager said its a game too many this week a hard week, but it'll do us good thats for sure.

Skippyjack said:

We had the most clean sheets in the league last two seasons as well.(if not the most, then among them) It means very little if you have so many 0-0 draws.

It's common knowledge that Birmingham are a big aggressive side. So we should have picked our bigger men like Bidwell and Cabango to compete with them on that front. Cabango would have caused trouble from all the corners we had too, but instead, we had to opt for short corners which usually didn't make it into the box. It appears RM has players that the fans rate, but he doesn't. e.g Cabango and Whitticker. In what world is Cullen more likely to get you a goal than Whitticker? We need more solidity in the back line anyway, a back four maybe. A back three with only one natural centre back isn't going to cut the mustard. A solid defence should be first priority, then build from there.

Cabango had to play yesterday if fit.

I must admit, that short corner is getting on my wick now. It’s not even disguised, or varied when the oppo put three men on all the options. We wouldn’t put it in the box even if we had the Concourse Girls with their buns, pony tails and Alice bands in there.

Manning was atrocious and having Laty in front of him compounded the issue.
They were knackered but even so Brum were unlucky not to have had another 2 or 3.

old cob said:
It's common knowledge that Birmingham are a big aggressive side. So we should have picked our bigger men like Bidwell and Cabango to compete with them on that front. Cabango would have caused trouble from all the corners we had too, but instead, we had to opt for short corners which usually didn't make it into the box. It appears RM has players that the fans rate, but he doesn't. e.g Cabango and Whitticker. In what world is Cullen more likely to get you a goal than Whitticker? We need more solidity in the back line anyway, a back four maybe. A back three with only one natural centre back isn't going to cut the mustard. A solid defence should be first priority, then build from there.

We were told the process we had to be patient with was starting at teh vack getting the defence right?

Vetchonian said:
old cob said:

We were told the process we had to be patient with was starting at teh vack getting the defence right?

I may be wrong, but my understanding of that "process" is that RM wanted to get our defenders to learn how he wanted them to build from the back - rather than coach them how to defend (although he'd probably argue that the number of clean sheets suggests we're doing OK at that too). That's why Naughton is playing where he is and it's also why Cabango is unlikely to ever play there. Can you imagine trying to start our attacks with the keeper rolling the ball to Cabango? One of the funniest things I've read on this forum is a comment that Cabango acts as if someone's passed him a bomb. Got to say that he's improved a little since his horror show at Fulham. Anyway, I think the process is: sort the defenders first, then the midfield (in the same way), then the attackers - basically, how do you move the ball upfield without hoofing it up there. Because we all know what happens when you just hoof it up there all the time. The question re teams like Birmingham and Fulham is, should we sacrifice our process and style of play just because they have a big lump up front. Mitrovic is different gravy (so maybe, yes), but in fairness Deeney did very little on Saturday.

The OP
" I know we have the most clean sheets in the league, but what is it with our defending sometimes"

Answer

They are human. If they were much better they would play in the league above. Some may in the future.

So many drama queen moaning twits among our fans.
If any fan wants 100% perfection in a game, they are probably following wrong sport, certainly wrong team.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back