• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

over 50' s walking football

• Thread starter Epaul
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 5
  • Views: Views 1,304

Epaul

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I signed up for Barry Town United when sports were allowed to be played again, I'm absolutely loving it, perfect at my age, haven't played for over 20 years and it's surprising where I guess we think we're "invincible" this brings you back down to earth and makes you realise how old you really are.
It's taken very seriously and while it's called "walking" it's how fast can you walk lol without running(that'll get you booked) unbelieveable amount of rules, which are taking time to getting use to.
Apparently many ex pro's play, we will have two teams when tournaments begin next month under 55's and over 55's.
There is also a great social side to it as well.
I make sure I always have a swans top on in training as there are a few blueturds, which we have a great bit of banter, but all round great fella's

I'm absolutely loving it, it's given me a new lease of life, and a great bit of something to do instead of sitting on my backside

That's great to know mate, might have a look at doing that up here.

I started playing masters RL after finishing serious rugby a few years ago, there are different coloured shorts for different age groups, ie 35-40, 40-45 going upto 60, the younger fellas can tackle by wrapping the upper body up and the 55-60 can just tackle by touching, the problem was the older fellas put shots on every player and it descends into chaos, funny to watch but it gets quite dirty.

Really fancy giving this a go ( football not rugby).
Any Swansea or Neath based teams anyone on here involved in ?

Epaul said:
Anyone do this? I signed up for Barry Town United when sports were allowed to be played again, I'm absolutely loving it, perfect at my age, haven't played for over 20 years and it's surprising where I guess we think we're "invincible" this brings you back down to earth and makes you realise how old you really are.
It's taken very seriously and while it's called "walking" it's how fast can you walk lol without running(that'll get you booked) unbelieveable amount of rules, which are taking time to getting use to.
Apparently many ex pro's play, we will have two teams when tournaments begin next month under 55's and over 55's.
There is also a great social side to it as well.
I make sure I always have a swans top on in training as there are a few blueturds, which we have a great bit of banter, but all round great fella's

I'm absolutely loving it, it's given me a new lease of life, and a great bit of something to do instead of sitting on my backside

I think Pegojack managed a walking football team in Spain a couple of years ago. Not sure how the communication worked out though! It is pretty good if you still like playing football but can't any more. I'm 69 and still play an hour of normal football every Friday evening, anything from 5 a side up to 12 a side depending on how many turn up but I did some walking football when our club took a summer break in 2019. Enjoyed it for those 2 months but realised I wasn't ready to stop playing the normal stuff just yet even though it's sometimes been painful since we resumed in April post-lockdown and it's taking a long time for my body to recover from the enforced inactivity and being realistic, it probably never will now. I'm determined to continue for another 10 months until I'm 70 though! 👍⚽😁🤕

I play this in Dorset, last year we beat Watford FC is a tournament in the final who had 4 ex-pro's in their team. The most noticeable thing for me is each club has different interpretations of the rules. Some clubs have non contact and strictly walking others you can play physical contact and jog and others its just like a standard 5/6 aside game maybe with a a 3 touch rule. I liken it do would the pro's do as a warm up in the small pitch game where move the ball quick in a confined space and first touch football. A 90 min session of this is quite a workout physically and mentally as you need to pick your passes out to feet where you have little chance of pass being chased down the channels.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back