• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

People are judging Coleman and the results are plain to see

Is it just me feeling some excitement coming back to the Swans again?… in Eom and Ronald we have 2 bums off seats players that excite every time they get the ball.
And what looks to be a proper striker which we haven't had for a while (piroe inclusive)

It feels like managers want to be play pretty passing Pep-like football, but don't have the confidence to really commit to it
It's not the managers' lack of commitment is the problem - it's the ability of mostly sub-optimal players to implement the plan on the field of play. And that comes through poor recruitment, which has been the hallmark of the club since the Americans took over.

Since they bought the club, we've only really had two out and out clowns in charge - Bradley and Duff. The rest of them broadly knew what they were doing to a greater or lesser extent, but all had to work with one hand tied behind their back.

It's not the managers' lack of commitment is the problem - it's the ability of mostly sub-optimal players to implement the plan on the field of play. And that comes through poor recruitment, which has been the hallmark of the club since the Americans took over.

Since they bought the club, we've only really had two out and out clowns in charge - Bradley and Duff. The rest of them broadly knew what they were doing to a greater or lesser extent, but all had to work with one hand tied behind their back.
Although since the January transfer window it feels that the transfer policy has completely shifted and seems almost thought through

Yeah of course, that's why we're so short of numbers, dear me mun :rolleyes:
I much prefer the policy of quality over quantity… last season we bought a heap of players who were all guff.

I’d imagine we’ll see at least 3 players come in to strengthen us in the next 2 weeks and we’ll be fine.

Our starting 11 is already stronger than last seasons

I much prefer the policy of quality over quantity… last season we bought a heap of players who were all guff.

I’d imagine we’ll see at least 3 players come in to strengthen us in the next 2 weeks and we’ll be fine.

A stronger first 11 and the right man in charge at the start of the season. Its fine margins for 80% of this league, if we can add some more goals then there’s no reason why we can’t make a push for the top 6.

Agreed. Eom snd Ronald are 20mil players in the making. Add VIP to that if he scores goals this season.

Quality costs though and it seems like there's not a lot of cash about at Liberty HQ, but I definitely agree with you!

The club is definitely trying to pull up out of a nose dive in regards to recruitment quality vs quantity over recent seasons. A reliance on loans which has been largely hit and miss combined with signing large number of players that were either ill suited to how the manager wanted to play or just ill suited to the club in general compounded that problem.

Since January it does feel like the recruitment philosophy at the club has gone back to where it needs to be and Watson/Coleman do deserve some credit for that. The players we are signing are players of upper Championship quality and in years gone by signing 2-4 players would be fine with only a few players leaving each summer.

Of course much has been said of 4 in vs 13 out - apologists will point out that a huge number of that 13 out were either injury prone and hardly ever featured or were simply not good enough and spent almost the whole season warming the bench or watching from the stands.

In most seasons 4 in would be acceptable, but the club is in a problem of their own making right now where we physically don't have the bodies for a long and punishing 50+ game Championship season (not even counting international football) - the squad is light on its feet and while the quality of our starting eleven is better than last season right now quality from the bench or those to come onto the bench to replace injuries/rested players is so threadbare that you can see through it.

Ideally another 1 or 2 permanent players and a couple of loans to pad out the squad and add competition combined with a healthier recruitment in vs players out next summer would see us back on the right course. However there's a long old season between now and then and today's problem can't be put off until tomorrow.

The club is definitely trying to pull up out of a nose dive in regards to recruitment quality vs quantity over recent seasons. A reliance on loans which has been largely hit and miss combined with signing large number of players that were either ill suited to how the manager wanted to play or just ill suited to the club in general compounded that problem.

Since January it does feel like the recruitment philosophy at the club has gone back to where it needs to be and Watson/Coleman do deserve some credit for that. The players we are signing are players of upper Championship quality and in years gone by signing 2-4 players would be fine with only a few players leaving each summer.

Of course much has been said of 4 in vs 13 out - apologists will point out that a huge number of that 13 out were either injury prone and hardly ever featured or were simply not good enough and spent almost the whole season warming the bench or watching from the stands.

In most seasons 4 in would be acceptable, but the club is in a problem of their own making right now where we physically don't have the bodies for a long and punishing 50+ game Championship season (not even counting international football) - the squad is light on its feet and while the quality of our starting eleven is better than last season right now quality from the bench or those to come onto the bench to replace injuries/rested players is so threadbare that you can see through it.

Ideally another 1 or 2 permanent players and a couple of loans to pad out the squad and add competition combined with a healthier recruitment in vs players out next summer would see us back on the right course. However there's a long old season between now and then and today's problem can't be put off until tomorrow.
that a fair summery and you could be correct , am hoping that the people sorting any upcoming incomings are looking to have the quality they have had in this window to date to continue, the squad IS paper thin and unfortunatly Ginnelly will be a long long injury concern so i think we should forget him untill jan at least , but its down to money, which as we all are aware IS tight at the club but the club has to spend within reason( i do not know any figs) . we have it seems picked up 4 fair players now we need in all honesty another 4 of the same quality and we might just might have a tidy season

Good post & I agree with just about all of that.
The only thing I would say is that the lack of squad depth isn't helped by the new contracts given to Joe & Kyle Naughton.
I know they both offer quality & if we had a bigger budget they'd be worth it but the decision to give both new contracts must be questionable in our current position.
We really need the likes of Parker & Govea being available regularly.

Unless my memory is catching up with my age, I can't remember playing that lot so early on in a season.
Maybe its come at the right time, a good performance & win against them will lift the mood.
some may think this is an exaggeration, but the season (through no fault of the players or LW) is already in danger of falling flat from unkept promises by the board.

I think the lack of exciting players hasn't really helped in recent years.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of many 'bums off seats' players between Dan James and Ronald... (I accept I am probably missing someone obvious).

Gibbs White fit into that mould, we ran into the unfortunate situation where he picked up a long term injury very early on with us, he recovered from said injury right in the middle of the January transfer window and Wolves recalled him for squad cover only to not use him the entire 2nd half of the season.

Ginnelly likewise, he was tearing Millwall apart before he got injured. While the actual injury wasn't down to a foul by a Millwall player the ref did absolutely nothing to protect players from being kicked off the pitch which could well have contributed.

Oko-Flex could well have also been that kind of player, but RM seemed completely adverse to any sort of attacking flair on the wings during his time with us.

I think the lack of exciting players hasn't really helped in recent years.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of many 'bums off seats' players between Dan James and Ronald... (I accept I am probably missing someone obvious).
This has been my biggest bugbear over the last few years. For all the nice football we play, it takes teams a few minutes to work out we haven’t got a player who’s going to put his foot down and worry them. You could see the confidence shift to the opposition, no matter how poor they were and how little they had the ball.
Hopefully it’s a thing of the past….”They do Ron Ron Ron, they do Ron Ron”

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back