• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Rhys Williams

Fireboy said:
Bridgendjack said:
Don’t think he’ll leave Flynn Downes out again. Shows how much we missed his defensive work with the sloppy goals we conceded !!

Put that on the indy site and see how long it takes for that imbecile andy cole to reply.

Who is Andy Cole?

PSumbler said:
Bridgendjack said:
Don’t think he’ll leave Flynn Downes out again. Shows how much we missed his defensive work with the sloppy goals we conceded !!

This for me. Was probably the biggest surprise for me yesterday was not seeing Downes start. Williams starting was the wrong decision but not a surprise if that makes sense

Even more surprising after being subbed at Barnsley.

Bryanswan said:
Dr. Winston said:
Not easy for any player to be chucked in at the deep end with almost no game time for more than two months.

Williams clearly has technical ability but got chucked in at the deep end today.

I think that is the worst we have been defensively all season.
I don't think Williams is up to scratch at this level both defensively and the way we want to play, he was dreadfully poor and i was amazed that RM didnt put Bidwell on and shift Manning to CB.
I can only assume Liverpool have been kicking off about the loan and that was us showing them that he is terrible.

For me, we were worse against Stoke.
Although we were defensively naive yesterday.
Now and again our defenders need to put the laces through the ball, hoof upfield or out into touch. Slow the play down and give us a chance to regroup.
Not the first time this season, this at certain times belief in playing out every ball from defense, has given the opposition a good chance. And some goals.
At least 50p head used to kick it into the East stand, knowing we'd slow things down, when it needed it.

I'm not sure the Liverpool team as a whole didn't make Williams look excellent. He looked class with them around him and I was excited to see him here.
He couldn't keep up with Caroll, who's always had the speed of a striking limpet.
Carroll has always been a strength type striker- a good striker but Williams made him look excellent.
Someone else said rabbit in the headlights. Totally agree

Manning, Bennett, Naughton should be the starting for defence.
Yes we could do with a replacement for Naughton as he's too slow to get back and cover. Looked really exposed with Smith on instead of Downes or Bidwell helping him out
Bennett should be in the centre with the others outside.
Downes and Bidwell need to be starting.
Cullen needs to be out on loan at a club that will play him. Even if that means him dropping down to L2.
I personally think that a better option would be to have either Whittaker or Obafemi on the bench, no matter what the F is going on in training.

What we really need, is someone who can take free kicks and corners.
Quick free kicks and we concede possession immediately yesterday. Not for the first time either.
Corners that the first defender can gather more often than not.
Free kicks in dangerous areas. Ball nearly always ends up in the crowd or waking the ball boys up at the corner flag!

Ah well.
Everyone of us has an opinion about players.
And rightly or wrongly, it's what makes the game so interesting
To see what others say, study the player in question for a few minutes during a game and see if the flaws are mistakes or just a player not capable.
Just remember, many managers from other clubs and pundits have called us a very knowledgeable, patient fanbase and wished all clubs had fans like us.
No need to slag someone off for having a different view...

Especially when I'm never wrong :roll:
:D

Last season Cabango was among the highest rated CBs in the Championship but he, like Bennett is a centre back not a left or right back.
Williams was quite poor yesterday maybe because he hasn't had much pitch time to get used to his team mates in which case he should have been brought on with 20 minutes here and there.
Some say Cabango is too slow for Martin's style. As a full back that is probably true but as a centre back he's very, very good. In the Blackpool game I think he played more first time passes than any other player on the pitch and that too speeds up our movement going forward.
I hope, for his own sake, Cabango leaves in January because Martin is ruining a potentially great player.

bryanswan

I will admit that my first post could have been put in a less vindictive way.

The Naughton situation is very similar to when Potter kept playing Kristopher Nordefeldt in goal.

In modern football there is this fixation on goalkeepers now in having to be good at playing as a sweeper but then it gets to a point when we forget what a goalkeepers job actually is in the first place.

It's the same thing with Naughton. For all his passing stats, when we come up against better teams where keeping possession isn't going to be enough; he's found out.

That's why I said that we need a Joe Rodon type player in that position. Someone that can do a centre backs job as well as pass the ball cleanly.

Naughton doesn't have both but then none of our other centre backs appear to either.

Witneyjack said:
Comfortable on the ball but seems to find the art of defending difficult, which is a problem for a defender. I really thought we were getting a player but I feel disappointed so far. Maybe the racist incident knocked him harder than we realise?

In that first sentence, you've actually described Kyle Naughton in a nutshell.

Funnily enough I don't recall Rhys Williams making one bad pass yesterday, yet I don't hear anyone falling over themselves about that yet people talk about Kyle Naughton like he's Franz Beckenbauer.

Honestly I think most of our fans have fucking tunnel vision at times.

Even taking into account injures, he's played in the best domestic league, and taken part in biggest domestic cup competition in World football, all before the age of 21.
He's not the finished article by any means, but let's not judge the lad too soon, remember Marc Guéhi didn't set the championship alight at first...
Ryan Bennett on 23k a week mind 🤔

Swanjaxs said:
Even taking into account injures, he's played in the best domestic league, and taken part in biggest domestic cup competition in World football, all before the age of 21.
He's not the finished article by any means, but let's not judge the lad too soon, remember Marc Guéhi didn't set the championship alight at first...

I agree with not judging him too soon but he needs regular football to have any chance of becoming the finished article and I dont see him getting that here

PSumbler said:
Swanjaxs said:

I agree with not judging him too soon but he needs regular football to have any chance of becoming the finished article and I dont see him getting that here

Fair, but not even for the cumbersome lump Bennett, who is clearly a square peg in a round hole for the type of fluid, possession based "pass and move" game that Martin is trying to install 🤔

Swanjaxs said:
PSumbler said:

Fair, but not even for the cumbersome lump Bennett, who is clearly a square peg in a round hole for the type of fluid, possession based "pass and move" game that Martin is trying to install 🤔

Bennett's done OK this season to a level but his injuries,suspensions and lack of pace will mean he isnt a long term solution

But I wouldn't underestimate the experience he brings to the side (same as Naughton)

Do I sound convincing? :lol:

PSumbler said:
Swanjaxs said:

Bennett's done OK this season to a level but his injuries,suspensions and lack of pace will mean he isnt a long term solution

But I wouldn't underestimate the experience he brings to the side (same as Naughton)

Do I sound convincing? :lol:

Anything sounds convincing to me after 5 bottles of Corona :D

Swanjaxs said:
PSumbler said:

Bennett’s impressed me with the way he’s taken to what Martin wants us to do. On the ball, he’s always available, looks to get us on the front foot when he can and more often than not makes the right decisions, be that positionally or with the pass. There’s an obvious maturity that’s missing (understandably) in Williams’ game. For me, he’s been the best of our natural CBs in those 2 roles flanking Naughts.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Swanjaxs said:

Bennett’s impressed me with the way he’s taken to what Martin wants us to do. On the ball, he’s always available, looks to get us on the front foot when he can and more often than not makes the right decisions, be that positionally or with the pass. There’s an obvious maturity that’s missing (understandably) in Williams’ game. For me, he’s been the best of our natural CBs in those 2 roles flanking Naughts.

I agree that Bennett is the "steady Eddie" mature player at the back that every side needs, but for me, playing the type of game Martin wants, only one holding CH is needed, and for me that is Naughton at the moment, he's been outstanding this season and playing out of position as well.
But yes, it's all about opinions 👍

Swanjaxs said:
LeonWasTheDog's said:

I agree that Bennett is the "steady Eddie" mature player at the back that every side needs, but for me, playing the type of game Martin wants, only one holding CH is needed, and for me that is Naughton at the moment, he's been outstanding this season and playing out of position as well.
But yes, it's all about opinions 👍
Like the rest of the back three he made a mistake that lead to a goal on Saturday with that poor attempted pass to Bennett. True, it wasn't as bad as Bennett's idiot brothers routine with Laird for the first and no he didn't go to sleep like Williams and then look towards the linesman at a crucial time instead of concentrating on catching the geriatric foitballer. However, it was sloppy play, that Cooper would have called non-negotiable, putting the ball right in the danger area. Hardly steady Eddie.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back