• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Russell Martin

• Thread starter Geoff
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 164
  • Views: Views 34,979

Geoff

Youth Team Apprentice
Reaction score
Stu James:

Updated Swansea story: the other candidate Swansea are considering for head coach is Russell Martin, the MK Dons manager.
Any move for Martin, who has won admiration for playing an attractive brand of football, would require Swansea to pay compensation.

https://t.co/gnoMaRnsJk?amp=1

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/108/stats/season/15541/teams/possession_percentage/overview

Clearly, Martin fits us from a style point of view.

But he's done a great job at MK Dons. Took over when they were struggling near the bottom 4 mid-season, mid-table in his first full season while completely transforming their style of play and on a smaller budget.

Both him and Morris, are very good options I think.

jruss said:
Clearly, Martin fits us from a style point of view.

But he's done a great job at MK Dons. Took over when they were struggling near the bottom 4 mid-season, mid-table in his first full season while completely transforming their style of play and on a smaller budget.

Both him and Morris, are very good options I think.

What am I missing then? They came 13th last season, not sure how he’s being touted for a championship club if I’m being honest, but I don’t know whole story.

Morris as it stands for me seems a much better fit due to his work with young players and links to Chelsea which would come in handy in loan market.

Risc said:
What am I missing then? They came 13th last season, not sure how he’s being touted for a championship club if I’m being honest, but I don’t know whole story.

Morris as it stands for me seems a much better fit due to his work with young players and links to Chelsea which would come in handy in loan market.

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2021/03/06/the-russell-martin-way-how-the-efl-boss-revolutionised-mk-dons/

As far as introductions to the managerial hot seat go, it doesn’t get much more turbulent than Russell Martin’s start to life at MK Dons. After taking the reins of a team dangling dangerously above the drop amidst a global pandemic, the 35-year-old has seen it all in a truncated period of time.

However, the 2020/21 campaign represents a season of “progress” for the League One club, as the Dons begin to settle into the Russell Martin way.

After a sluggish start to the season, they clawed their way back to mid-table, and are now just 10 points out of reach of the top six. Martin, however, won’t hear of any promotion talk, with his sole focus on consolidation.

“If I can get through all of this, then it should be pretty mundane and straightforward after this one and the last one!” he joked.

“There’s been a lot of change in terms of the structure and financially because of the impact of COVID. From the end of last season to now there’s only three or four guys that have been here the whole time so it’s been a season of change.

“I said it was all about improvement and we’ve certainly done that, compared to where we were last season when we stopped.”

MK Dons were resigned to relegation when Martin succeeded Paul Tisdale in November 2019, 10 months after signing for the third-tier side on a short-term playing contract.

When the season was suspended in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, he took a “step back” to regroup.

He added: “It’s so intense when you’re thrown in at the deep end, going from a player to a manager in the relegation zone on a really bad run of form, and then trying to bring an identity as well as getting the results needed to stay in the league.

“The break gave me time to think. I used it as a blessing in disguise because once you start, very few managers get a chance to reflect unless they’ve been out of a job.”

The former Norwich defender, who guided MK Dons to an 19th-placed finish last year on a points-per-game calculation, brought his own philosophy to the Buckinghamshire club, which now boasts an impressive record.

He said: “A lot of people have spoken this season about how we’ve had the highest possession in Europe which isn’t normal for a League One team. We’ve also got the most touches in the opposition box so we don’t just have possession for the sake of it – we’re aggressive with it.

“MK lost its way for three or four years. I was asked to bring an identity to the club when I took over and we’ve got a strong one now.

“It’s not always going to be easy. It takes courage to play that way on some tough pitches. I’m proud of the way the players have bought into it because it’s not easy. It’s very demanding and takes a lot of work.

“It’s become a bit of a tagline for me. The supporters are bored of hearing me say it but we are process driven. We’re not emotional about results.”

Martin previously held the record as the youngest manager in English football, before being usurped by Bradford City’s joint appointment. However, despite being knocked off his pedestal, he has been encouraged by the talent coming through in the EFL.

He said: “I hope I’ll be at this club a long time seeing out the work that we’re putting in and hopefully seeing the rewards. It came a lot quicker than I expected it to. I don’t think anything can ever prepare you fully for what’s in store as a manager.

“The dynamic changed really quickly. I tried to be the same and be consistent with the guys because they were my team-mates but once I spoke to them and the door was closed, it was different. I could sense it straight away.”

Patience has been key for Martin in implementing his own ideas and style of play, which has been heavily influenced by his own superiors throughout his career. And although the ‘P-word’ is still off bounds, he’s confident the Dons are heading in the right direction.

“I don’t know how long that will take but we’ll get there eventually,” he said. “I was aware it was going to take time. In my office I’ve got about eight notepads – I compartmentalise my life with notepads! I wrote a lot down when I played about stuff I liked and stuff I didn’t like.

“As a player, sometimes you have to sacrifice your own beliefs but now I’m in a position where I can influence other people and convince them that my way is the right way.”

He would be leaving one head fck only to dive into another. Not for me thanks.
Toshack or Morris will do for me. But get a fckn shift on is it.

I think that article shows he's done a great job all things considered.

sainthelens said:

Why would anyone want Toshack?

Are they just blinded by his surname?

50 years old and done nothing in the game whatsoever

The more I read about Russell Martin, the more I want him here.

ARQS said:
sainthelens said:

Check out his record with our youth/academy/u23s and let me know yer findings.
Least he wants to be here.

sainthelens said:
ARQS said:

Would be a big shout Saint, the Championship has seen many big name managers fall short, but, as you say, he's got the Swans in his dna 👍

Swanjaxs said:
sainthelens said:

Would be a big shout Saint, the Championship has seen many big name managers fall short, but, as you say, he's got the Swans in his dna 👍

Main misgivings being possible lack of contacts to bring in a few. But no doubting he'll bust his bollox to make best of it. Championship is a graveyard for the bigger named managers bar the likes of Colin, who really should be in an abattoir.

sainthelens said:

I'm not going to belittle his achievements with a good squad at U18 and U23 level but how does that translate to him managing us in the Championship where we are going to need instant results? We certainly need someone who can develop players but we do also need to win some games too. Maybe that's him, maybe it isn't.

"Least he wants to be here" - except he left didn't he. To work for some random team in Cyprus. And he hasn't worked since. It also isn't really much of a qualification to manage a team either is it? That he wants to be here?

Basically, we would be appointing someone with absolutely no experience in the senior game whatsoever. Not playing, not managing. He isn't even young.

I could understand the argument if he was still our U23 manager and had worked with most of our squad recently but he isn't and he hasn't. He left here nearly 2 years ago.

I can't imagine he has anywhere near the amount of contacts that Martin or Morris have.

I wouldn't be against him coming necessarily but it seems bizarre to me that he is people's first choice, based on not very much

For me Russell Martin is the outstanding candidate. He’s got an ordinary MK Dons team playing passing football and we have to look past where they finished in the league. Read an article on his work in The Athletic and his attention to deal is really came across. He would have the opportunity to come here and work with better players with a fan base who will give him time if they can see a playing style akin to the Swansea way.
Surely any ambitious manager being offered the chance to go from mid table in league 1 to a team who finished 4th in the Championship would see a significant step up. These opportunities don’t come along that often but if he gets Swansea playing passing football look no further than Graham Potter to see what it can do for a career.

martin for me and was one I mentioned months ago. Lose lose though as if he does well he'll be offski to the prem

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back