• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 24/25 | The Official Match Thread | Swansea City vs Wycombe Wanderers | The Carabao Cup

At the next press conference can't someone (or everyone) ask Williams to explain his rationale for playing Grimes and Fulton? He must have a reason so tell us FFS!
This needs to happen

Tonight was, genuinely, one of the worst games I've ever seen.

Sometimes, and I've had this happen several times on teams where I've worked, there is a person (or persons) who have been so long in their role that no one can remember what it was like before they were in that role.

Anything good that may have been happening before they took the role is lost, it's forgotten, because they've been there so long doing it their way, no one even stops to question if it could be done better, or differently, everyone just accepts the status quo for fear of upsetting the applecart, or that things might start to go wrong if they weren't there anymore.

It is not healthy, it does not make for high performing teams. It stinks of mediocrity. It stifles creativity. It prevents change from happening.

That is exactly what is happening with our team, and the persons concerned are Matt Grimes and Jay Fulton.

Four games in, and we've looked as stale as fortnight-old bread in three out of the four.

We need a shake up in the engine room - but we sure as hell ain't going to get it any time soon.

We have problems.

I hope anyone who harboured even the slightest hope we might have a play off tilt is adjusting their expectations, if you aren't I fear you're going to be very disappointed.

Barcelona stopped playing this 'keep it on the ground at all times, bar crosses' because they stopped winning. Everybody knows how to handle it, block the channels forward from the man on the ball, no need to defend areas, rush press when someone at the back gets isolated on the ball, as they will.

Players are so used to having no forward pass available they stop looking and their first and only thought is to pass back. Look at what the player on the ball sees in front of him most of the time, a wall of opposition faces. It's easy to exploit that, there are inevitably large areas left empty, but that means a chip which is not allowed, so pass it back. Dejection sets in, it's boring to watch, it's boring to play.

Football has moved on, this style is out of date, everyone knows the counters, it's only useful as a tool in the box, not as the only tool. It is not the players who are at fault, it is the way they are being told to play.
I think it’s Man City he’s watching, not Barca. I saw them against Ipswich and they bored the arse off me even though they scored 4. They just have moments that win them games but a lot of their play is dull and backwards. Difference is, we have no moments, as we don’t have Haaland, Silva and the talented Belgian ginger bloke.

It’s funny we say about Grimes and Fulton (I know it’s clear as day it doesn’t work at all) but we got to two play offs one being a final with them as our pairing 🤣

Early days, new players have to be given time to bed in, but Williams is starting to sound like a broken record, every decision he makes at the moment impacts the game in a negative way.
The warnings signs are there for all to see...

Barcelona stopped playing this 'keep it on the ground at all times, bar crosses' because they stopped winning. Everybody knows how to handle it, block the channels forward from the man on the ball, no need to defend areas, rush press when someone at the back gets isolated on the ball, as they will.

Players are so used to having no forward pass available they stop looking and their first and only thought is to pass back. Look at what the player on the ball sees in front of him most of the time, a wall of opposition faces. It's easy to exploit that, there are inevitably large areas left empty, but that means a chip which is not allowed, so pass it back. Dejection sets in, it's boring to watch, it's boring to play.

Football has moved on, this style is out of date, everyone knows the counters, it's only useful as a tool in the box, not as the only tool. It is not the players who are at fault, it is the way they are being told to play.
Precisely! Laudrup moved us on from that style of play at the same time as Spanish football evolved, and that was the best period in our history. Remember when he played one winger, and then three? Really inventive stuff. Martin was cos-playing the glory days of Barca’s tiki-taka and I worry that Williams may not know how to move Grimes and Fulton on from that. Might as well send the team out with baggy shorts, mutton chop facial hair and a sodden leather ball.

Nice guy, zero evidence he can manage a football team since he’s been here, I’d love to see a full list of the “we need tos” that happen every time we don’t win which is most weeks. Plus when we win and play crap, he bigs it up beyond ridicule. We’re stuck with him, but there is zero reason for optimism based on what he’s shown so far, and nothing in the players to dig him out of any hole. Not picking the players you’ve highlighted would be a start for sure. Getting them playing the way he does makes it even worse. Not really sure where we go from here. Crossed fingers that it miraculously improves I guess.
Yeah, I’m yet to be convinced. It’s also looking like we’ve recruited badly again, although it’s still early for the new guys so I’m trying to keep an open mind.

I like Luke. Seems like an honest, down to earth guy. He understands the club, its history and the supporters. And I like what he has to say about how he wants his team to play. I want him to succeed.

I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for Sunday. I truly believe his substitutions were driven by necessity due to knackered players from the first half’s high press, rather than a deliberate intention to go negative.

I am willing to believe that today he underestimated the opposition and started too many players who barely knew each other’s names. I honestly believe that Abbey, Bianchini and Eom are quality players who will deliver for us given a chance.

But I have to say that the decision to start Fulton and Grimes together, and to play Abdullai out of position yet again, is seriously undermining my confidence in our manager.
Abdulai shouldn't be allowed in the fckn car park let alone the pitch. Bluntly, he's one of the worst I've ever seen wearing a white shirt.

I know that basing the entire game plan on Grimes being the pivot isn't working, but I'm actually worried that if Grimes is injured (thankfully he rarely is) then there isn't a game plan at all. I don't think Luke has a Plan A let alone a Plan B.

Grimes gets loads of criticism but he is our captain, is remarkably fit and needs better coaching because he's a very talented player.

It’s funny we say about Grimes and Fulton (I know it’s clear as day it doesn’t work at all) but we got to two play offs one being a final with them as our pairing 🤣
Yes, but that was the Jay Fulton who gave 110% (and cost us the play-off finals as a result of his enthusiasm), not the one who taps the ball straight back to whoever gave it to him with no movement at all 90% of the time. (Which is particularly frustrating given what he can do the other 10%.)

Fulton used to be a tough-tackling terrier who’d arrive in the box late and be a threat. These days he gets a nose bleed over half way and always opts for safety first. His ambition has been coached out of him imo.

Fair play to the Wycombe fans though didn’t stop singing all match.
They were amazing.
Everyone in the west was nodding and stamping along which took our minds off what our eyes were seeing.
We seriously need to look at getting a drummer like that.

The second coming of Russell Martin
You know who one of Russell Martin's good mates in football is? Played together at Wycombe, Matt Bloomfield. Who has been criticised last season for trying to get the team to play like Martin teams!!

They were amazing.
Everyone in the west was nodding and stamping along which took our minds off what our eyes were seeing.
There's been a whole drummergate thing going on for Wycombe the last couple of seasons, think they had to "appoint" the current one as another one was not too popular.

They were amazing.
I think we need some fresh songs and chants too. We sing the same stuff we were about 15 years ago, maybe a name change here and there but that's it.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back