• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Situation in Iceland

• Thread starter K23
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 15
  • Views: Views 615

K23

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
This morning, I was due to fly out to Iceland on the 6.15am from Bristol for a few days but cancelled all my arrangements last night so here I am typing this instead.

One of my proposed trips on arriving at about 9.30 this morning was to Blue Lagoon and another was to drive out towards Grindavik tomorrow evening to see what I could around the Fagradalsfjall volcano in the dark but that whole area is a complete no go zone now and as a result the Blue Lagoon resort has been closed and the whole town of Grindavik with a population of about 3.5k has been completely evacuated. I was supposed to be staying in Reykjavik about 20 miles away so don't think I'd have been in any physical danger there but I couldn't risk being stranded in Iceland if they started cancelling flights in and out as my wife is due to go into hospital on Friday and I need to be here. The roads out of Grindavik have been cracking and if the main 41 road between Reykjavik and the airport also starts cracking the airport could be cut off and that road passes within about 6 miles of the volcano so only about a mile further away than Blue Lagoon and Grindavik.

With that and yesterday's football, to be honest, I haven't had a great weekend so far. :(

Not great news for you, but the Swans will win again sometime, another trip to Iceland could be arranged later, just concentrate on your wife for the time being and all else will fall into place.
Hope she is ok. Best wishes to you both.

Muteswan said:
Not great news for you, but the Swans will win again sometime, another trip to Iceland could be arranged later, just concentrate on your wife for the time being and all else will fall into place.
Hope she is ok. Best wishes to you both.

Yes, absolutely and many thanks. Already looking to rebook for end of Feb or thereabouts.

karnataka said:
This morning, I was due to fly out to Iceland on the 6.15am from Bristol for a few days but cancelled all my arrangements last night so here I am typing this instead.

One of my proposed trips on arriving at about 9.30 this morning was to Blue Lagoon and another was to drive out towards Grindavik tomorrow evening to see what I could around the Fagradalsfjall volcano in the dark but that whole area is a complete no go zone now and as a result the Blue Lagoon resort has been closed and the whole town of Grindavik with a population of about 3.5k has been completely evacuated. I was supposed to be staying in Reykjavik about 20 miles away so don't think I'd have been in any physical danger there but I couldn't risk being stranded in Iceland if they started cancelling flights in and out as my wife is due to go into hospital on Friday and I need to be here. The roads out of Grindavik have been cracking and if the main 41 road between Reykjavik and the airport also starts cracking the airport could be cut off and that road passes within about 6 miles of the volcano so only about a mile further away than Blue Lagoon and Grindavik.

With that and yesterday's football, to be honest, I haven't had a great weekend so far. :(
Sorry to hear you plans have be scuppered. As it happens my daughter and hubby have just taken off from there, and are on their way home, thank goodness, we were getting a bit worried.
She was due to go to the Blue Lagoon on thursday but it was cancelled and shut down for at least a week. She did see the Northern lights, which was her main goal.

Jack2jack said:
Sorry to hear you plans have be scuppered. As it happens my daughter and hubby have just taken off from there, and are on their way home, thank goodness, we were getting a bit worried.
She was due to go to the Blue Lagoon on thursday but it was cancelled and shut down for at least a week. She did see the Northern lights, which was her main goal.

Thanks. I've PM'd you but it always seems to take a few days for messages to leave by Outbox :x

I didn't know anything about this until i saw your post, now I'm following 6 volcanologists on Twitts 🤣

karnataka said:
Thanks. I've PM'd you but it always seems to take a few days for messages to leave by Outbox :x
I'll keep an eye out for it, when it arrives🥴👍

Jack2jack said:
I'll keep an eye out for it, when it arrives🥴👍

:oops: Sorry, my mistake, it's WxmJax I Pm'd not you, nothing personal :oops:
When I read your reply, for some reason I thought it was from him! A senior moment! :D

karnataka said:
:oops: Sorry, my mistake, it's WxmJax I Pm'd not you, nothing personal :oops:
When I read your reply, for some reason I thought it was from him! A senior moment! :D
No worries K. 🙂👍

Neath_Jack said:
I didn't know anything about this until i saw your post, now I'm following 6 volcanologists on Twitts 🤣

I was hoping it would still be doing something interesting and worth having a look at by the time I got out there but not something dangerous! :shock: :shock:

WxmJax is definitely the Planet Swans volcanologist and he posted live webcam footage a while ago of the one that's causing the current state of emergency in the area which has been active for the last 2-3 years.

I've only been to Iceland once before, in March last year, and absolutely loved the place and Wxm & I have PM'd each other a few times since then but I wanted to return as I'd missed out on the Northern Lights and this week's trip was supposed to redress that but it'll have to wait another few months now assuming things calm down a bit over there. :eek: :eek: :eek:

karnataka said:
I was hoping it would still be doing something interesting and worth having a look at by the time I got out there but not something dangerous! :shock: :shock:

WxmJax is definitely the Planet Swans volcanologist and he posted live webcam footage a while ago of the one that's causing the current state of emergency in the area which has been active for the last 2-3 years.

I've only been to Iceland once before, in March last year, and absolutely loved the place and Wxm & I have PM'd each other a few times since then but I wanted to return as I'd missed out on the Northern Lights and this week's trip was supposed to redress that but it'll have to wait another few months now assuming things calm down a bit over there. :eek: :eek: :eek:

There’s some cracking videos of the earthquakes they’ve been having over there, something like over 1700 quakes over a day or two! When Mother Nature ain’t happy, there’s not much you can do other than hope!

Grindavik this afternoon, about 5 miles from the volcano

53330118291_bf5dec672d_h.jpg

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back