• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Sober October.

I guess it depends on your view of what "drinking" is. I worked in the City for many years and I knew loads of people for whom 4 pints of Stella lunchtime every working day was the norm. Me I love beer I don't deny but I don't drink lunchtimes. For me an evening drink is mostly 3 half pint bottles of lager, and once the beer buzz wears off that's me done. I try to do at least 2 evenings a week with no booze at all.

But if I total it up I'm way more than the prescribed 14 units a week and when I admit to my GP that I'm more like 25 units a week I can see his look of disapproval.

I appreciate the risk I'm taking but I really find it hard to think I'm a "drinker". I think I've only done a gallon in one session twice in my life and I'm early 60s now.

So I'm giving dry October a swerve as I always do!

I believe I read somewhere (think it was in a book written by a locum GP) that surgeries receive additional funding for referring "problem" drinkers to support organisations, hence it being almost impossible to get through an appointment these days without being asked about it.

To be honest 14 units a week is very little. It's three bottles of wine. A pint a day. Most people would do that on one night out and suffer no long term issues even with a bit extra on other days.

Squarebear said:
For a long while I've restricted my drinking to weekends only. And by weekends I mean "finish work at 3pm then dash to the fridge while my PC is still shutting down".

Anyway, as a consequence of having put on 0.5KG last week I opted for a dry weekend.

This will have been my first dry weekend in, I dunno, at least 25 years.

I was dreading it yet I really enjoyed that feeling of alertness. I felt much more energetic. And I definitely felt a lot more "affectionate" towards Mrs Bear.

Since I first developed a taste for beer I've equated teetotalism with life not being worth living. Right now I'm reconsidering.

(Christ, can't believe I'm saying this, but it's true).

Be careful to avoid letting too much blood into the alcohol stream, buddy.

A bit like Clasey, the thought of a few drinks, music, The Swans, finished off with either a takeaway or cooking something nice gets me through the week. Especially at the moment with travel being restricted.

It sounds a bit sad really, but take the booze away and I wouldn’t look forward to it as much. I always restrict myself to drinking on the weekend though, mainly Saturday. A pint with Sunday lunch is also a winner.

There’s certainly a wide spectrum of alcoholism though. I think most/all of us are on it to some degree. There was a great programme with Adrian Chiles a few years back on the subject.

MrSwerve said:
A bit like Clasey, the thought of a few drinks, music, The Swans, finished off with either a takeaway or cooking something nice gets me through the week. Especially at the moment with travel being restricted.

It sounds a bit sad really, but take the booze away and I wouldn’t look forward to it as much. I always restrict myself to drinking on the weekend though, mainly Saturday. A pint with Sunday lunch is also a winner.

There’s certainly a wide spectrum of alcoholism though. I think most/all of us are on it to some degree. There was a great programme with Adrian Chiles a few years back on the subject.

Really enjoyed watching that programme and a real eye opener and I certainly saw myself in that position a few times in the past, it’s so easy to just drink out of habit and to not realise quite how much you are putting away.

Funnily enough, a few years back, on a chilly, windy autumn morning, I was walking somewhere on the south Gower coast - I think between Langland and Caswell - and there was absolutely no-one about, when behind me I heard the plodding footsteps of a jogger, along with very laboured breathing, and turned to see a big bloke bearing down on me.

Instantly recognised him as Adrian Chiles, and there was a brief exchange of awkward smiles (he could see I recognised him) before he lumbered past.

Probably fighting off the demon drink with some exercise, I think.

Always struck me as a decent bloke.

FieryJack said:
Funnily enough, a few years back, on a chilly, windy autumn morning, I was walking somewhere on the south Gower coast - I think between Langland and Caswell - and there was absolutely no-one about, when behind me I heard the plodding footsteps of a jogger, along with very laboured breathing, and turned to see a big bloke bearing down on me.

Instantly recognised him as Adrian Chiles, and there was a brief exchange of awkward smiles (he could see I recognised him) before he lumbered past.

I heard a rumour that he poked Christine Bleakley.
If that’s true I know three people that has poked her.

Darran said:
FieryJack said:

Who are the three?

Cooperman said:
Darran said:

Who are the three?

Well,Adrian,obviously Frank Lampard

And me. :lol:

Attachments

• 511F5B8B-B1DB-4DB6-A023-D69B8953070E.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,448
She looks like she's brought her Halloween ventriloquist dummy along to the party :lol:

BLAZE said:
She looks like she's brought her Halloween ventriloquist dummy along to the party :lol:

Aye, the whole of her left arm is hidden...

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back