• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Swans close in on Henry transfer?

Ayew wages gone parachute payment gone.

The squad is weakee but we need to be clever in the market.

The likes of Rangel Bodde Scotland did not cost the earth.

Days of big spending are gone.

airedale said:
SwansFan1912 said:
Unfortunately this is all savings to offset the parachute payments, which as you know have now stopped. I think this is the best our squad will be for some time, i imagine the owners will be keen on selling Grimes to ensure we stay in the black, especially with Roberts injured so we can't sell him. Not sure who else we would be able to offload.

There's no way we can afford the 5m+ transfer fee and wages on top. Not with the current financial strategy anyway, no risk no reward.

Risk, equals rich people, probably with no interest in soccer, putting their money, for no gain, into a football club for your reward, right?

I completely disagree with that. Obviously there's different levels of risk, and as we all know, this ownership aren't exactly mega bucks rich. I don't think anyone is expecting them to drop 25million on transfers while we are in the Championship. But I think we should be able to afford up to 5 million at least, the club is making a profit.

I don't think anyone wants the club to spend recklessly like we did in those final PL transfer windows, but we do have to spend something. You can talk about free agents but let's be honest, there's a reason they are free agents. Same with loan players, most of them are not going to be enough to push the first team on. Especially the ones that we can seemingly afford, without Cooper's influence.

And the owners and Winter have to realise that the only way they are getting a return on their investment is if we get back to the Premier League, its their reward as much as ours. We have to recruit players smarter than other teams yes, but we still need a little bit of money to buy players. Can't spend what little we have done so far (on Piroe and Joseph) and call it a day with any expectation that we will challenge for the promotion places.

Its no wonder that the manager is half way out the door. Let's hope we back him and get in a couple of the type of players that he will be looking for, to put his own twist on this young, inexperienced squad.

We’ve spent a million on a single player in Piroe - I never thought we’d spend that much with parachute payments gone and the year or so we’ve had with Covid.

I’m amazed at the investment.

You want Cooper to stay and be basked more? Are you nuts!?

He’s been backed enough and failed.

The club is making a profit because we're not spending millions on players we can't afford in order to sate the whims of a manager who's wanted out all summer.

Can't see that we need another forward anyway. We've already got Whittaker, Piroe, Lowe, Cullen and Joseph playing for two, maybe three positions. Would rather beef up the midfield a bit.

Magic_Michu said:
We’ve spent a million on a single player in Piroe - I never thought we’d spend that much with parachute payments gone and the year or so we’ve had with Covid.

I think the Piroe fee has been slightly inflated in the press. Besides he is what 21? And not played much first team football.

Would have rather the club go for Henry instead of him but obviously they chosen piroe instead as the cheaper option.

What backing has he in your eyes?

I can't help but feel if he was actually backed last summer and in January we would now be in the Premier league. We were top 2 around then. Didn't have the squad to push on

SwansFan1912 said:
Magic_Michu said:

I think the Piroe fee has been slightly inflated in the press. Besides he is what 21? And not played much first team football.

Would have rather the club go for Henry instead of him but obviously they chosen piroe instead as the cheaper option.

I can't help but feel if he was actually backed last summer and in January we would now be in the Premier league. We were top 2 around then. Didn't have the squad to push on

We made plenty of business in both the summer and January transfer windows

Hourihane was our "marquee" signing of the January window and that went wrong. He had Morris and Arriola with Whittaker and Freeman on top of that. He was backed, he just backed the wrong horses.

Last summer he was backed heavily - what backing do you want because if its millions at the expense of the club then I'll say no thanks.

We should not be considering £6m on a striker IMO, we don't have that kind of budget to spend!

PSumbler said:
SwansFan1912 said:

Hourihane was our "marquee" signing of the January window and that went wrong. He had Morris and Arriola with Whittaker and Freeman on top of that. He was backed, he just backed the wrong horses.

Last summer he was backed heavily - what backing do you want because if its millions at the expense of the club then I'll say no thanks.

We should not be considering £6m on a striker IMO, we don't have that kind of budget to spend!

Surely the noise about Henry is that just though, noise. Unless you've heard different?

There is no way we are looking to spend that in the window overall, never mind on one player.

Risc said:
PSumbler said:

Surely the noise about Henry is that just though, noise. Unless you've heard different?

There is no way we are looking to spend that in the window overall, never mind on one player.

The only way I can see this one happening is if we have a sale but even then I would rather the sale money went into strengthening where we need it more.

PSumbler said:
Risc said:

The only way I can see this one happening is if we have a sale but even then I would rather the sale money went into strengthening where we need it more.

I think 6M is a big risk if it doesn’t work out, we could use that elsewhere as you’ve said.

PSumbler said:
SwansFan1912 said:

Signing players doesn't mean backing the manager though does it unfortunately.

Hourihane wasn't great but still won us games. Expected more

Arriola was a money saving move for DC United (freed up their wages) Morris a cheap way of finding an attacking player. Both had recent ACL injuries and were severely lacking any match fitness. Hard to say that either of them were the player you need for a promotion push.

Whittaker is obviously a young player for the future, again didn't improve the starting XI for a promotion push.

No idea why we signed Freeman, we had 2 RBs already and just to show the incompetence we could have had him for free at the start of the window, and instead decided to wait until Swindon snapped him up so we could pay for him.

I think its fair to say he wasn't backed in January, anyone who thinks those signings were his idea needs to have a rethink. The fact he wants to leave even if there's no job to go into, tells me there's problems at the club which we are not aware of that he can see a mile off, and its going to be a problem this season and beyond.

I'll come back to last summer as well -
Bennett (old, can't play our style)
Smith (experienced but lazy, can't play our style)
Manning (not a bad value signing but can't defend)
Latibeaudiere (inexperienced, one for the future)
Palmer (lacklustre loan signing, shows why Bristol didn't want him)

Then there's coopers loans - guehi and woodman returning, and gibbs-white. No one can moan about the transfers he actually was involved with.

There's a clear style issue with the fans on here and its not hard to see why when you look at the players who have come in. Even Woodman, as good as a goal keeper he is, can't play football, absolutely hopeless with the ball at his feet - showed on multiple occasions last season. Needs to work on that if he's going to make it at the top

SwansFan1912 said:
PSumbler said:

Arriola was a money saving move for DC United (freed up their wages) Morris a cheap way of finding an attacking player. Both had recent ACL injuries and were severely lacking any match fitness. Hard to say that either of them were the player you need for a promotion push.

Whittaker is obviously a young player for the future, again didn't improve the starting XI for a promotion push.

No idea why we signed Freeman, we had 2 RBs already and just to show the incompetence we could have had him for free at the start of the window, and instead decided to wait until Swindon snapped him up so we could pay for him.

I think its fair to say he wasn't backed in January, anyone who thinks those signings were his idea needs to have a rethink. The fact he wants to leave even if there's no job to go into, tells me there's problems at the club which we are not aware of that he can see a mile off, and its going to be a problem this season and beyond.

Then there's coopers loans - guehi and woodman returning, and gibbs-white. No one can moan about the transfers he actually was involved with.

There's a clear style issue with the fans on here and its not hard to see why when you look at the players who have come in. Even Woodman, as good as a goal keeper he is, can't play football, absolutely hopeless with the ball at his feet - showed on multiple occasions last season. Needs to work on that if he's going to make it at the top

In the transfer market he has been backed. You can't give him the credit for loan transfers and claim nothing else was down to him. Each of those from last summer are Cooper signings and - Morris and Arriola outside I may give you - as are all the rest,

We just need to accept that he is an OK manager but not one to get the best out of a group of players and watching us go slowly backwards (in more ways than one) over the past 2 years has been painful and quite boring to watch

PSumbler said:
SwansFan1912 said:

In the transfer market he has been backed. You can't give him the credit for loan transfers and claim nothing else was down to him. Each of those from last summer are Cooper signings and - Morris and Arriola outside I may give you - as are all the rest,

We just need to accept that he is an OK manager but not one to get the best out of a group of players and watching us go slowly backwards (in more ways than one) over the past 2 years has been painful and quite boring to watch

Well considering the loan players who were involved with his U17 England setup its easy to give him the credit for those.

And its funny how the tides have turned from praising Andy Scott and Co for excellent transfers over the last 3 years to blaming Cooper for the bad ones ;) certainly suits the Cooper out agenda

SwansFan1912 said:
PSumbler said:

Well considering the loan players who were involved with his U17 England setup its easy to give him the credit for those.

And its funny how the tides have turned from praising Andy Scott and Co for excellent transfers over the last 3 years to blaming Cooper for the bad ones ;) certainly suits the Cooper out agenda

Not for me. This season is massive for Andy Scott, when he came here he said three seasons, isn't this is fourth?

Risc said:
SwansFan1912 said:

Not for me. This season is massive for Andy Scott, when he came here he said three seasons, isn't this is fourth?

Yea I agree with you here has a lot to prove (unless he gets the manager job?) . This will be his third season actually won't it. He wasn't here under Potter, my mistake. But based on the business done so far I am not sold. Especially when you take out the loan deals from the England u17 crew.

SwansFan1912 said:
PSumbler said:

You left Jamal Lowe out of your list of summer signings and he was definitely an Andy Scott signing. Seems those with a Cooper in agenda like to twist the facts to suit their agenda also...

Also in one of your earlier posts you said that most loan players 'are not going to be enough to push the first team on'. Brewster, Guehi, Gallagher and Gibbs-White all prove you wrong as they've been amongst our best players in the last 2 seasons.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back