• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The summer of test cricket - Ashes 2023

Bloody hell if we can jam another wicket before close it’s game on!!

It’s all on the two yorkie boys tomorrow. 200 partnership incoming.

TheLoneRanger said:
Exactly like the Lords match. Anderson dropped Head, and next ball Smith was out.

I'd pick Foakes every time as the wicketkeeper. There's not much between their test batting average, if you're comparing their batting - but Foakes is by far the better wicketkeeper ...

Foakes. 32.2

Bairstow. 36.88

I dint think anyone thinks Bairstow is a better keeper than Foakes but it’s a bit pointless comparing the batting averages of someone who’s played 20 games to someone who’s played 90.

Catches win matches, Foakes for me behind the sticks, Bairstow at 3 or even not at all, runs aren't England's problem most of the time...

Swanjaxs said:
Catches win matches, Foakes for me behind the sticks, Bairstow at 3 or even not at all, runs aren't England's problem most of the time...

It’s an age old debate. A keeper who can bat a bit or a batter who can keep wicket. England fans have been having the argument since Alan Knott and Bob Taylor retired. Jack Russell is probably the best wicket keeper I’ve ever watched but only played 54 tests cos the preferred Alec Stewart behind the stumps.

exiledclaseboy said:
I dint think anyone thinks Bairstow is a better keeper than Foakes but it’s a bit pointless comparing the batting averages of someone who’s played 20 games to someone who’s played 90.

Bairstow doesn't even look right behind the sticks, he's to heavy for one thing, bout as agile as I am ffs, need to bring in wicket keeper and move Jonnie up the order.

exiledclaseboy said:
It’s all on the two yorkie boys tomorrow. 200 partnership incoming.

Be all out for 150 /180 if they lucky, I reckon.

England let them off the hook at 85/4.

I think comparing their averages in matches in which they have kept wicket would tell you all you need to know about who deserves the WK spot.

Squarebear said:
I think comparing their averages in matches in which they have kept wicket would tell you all you need to know about who deserves the WK spot.

Sensible. Bairstow averages 37.5 when keeping wicket (51 games) 36.5 when playing as a batter only. It’s fine margins and depends whether you’re or the school which says pick your best keeper or not. If you are, Foakes is undoubtedly your man. Bairstow would be in the team as a batter anyway. But how do you balance the team is the big problem.

exiledclaseboy said:
Sensible. Bairstow averages 37.5 when keeping wicket (51 games) 36.5 when playing as a batter only. It’s fine margins and depends whether you’re or the school which says pick your best keeper or not. If you are, Foakes is undoubtedly your man. Bairstow would be in the team as a batter anyway. But how do you balance the team is the big problem.

Dropping catches ain't gonna help you win matches and there's been far to many by England in this series, not just by Jonnie of course, but in my opinion to be a test WK you need to be agile and have speed, Jonnie is adequate which isn't ideal for a test keeper, in my opinion of course.

Niigata Jack said:
Dropping catches ain't gonna help you win matches and there's been far to many by England in this series, not just by Jonnie of course, but in my opinion to be a test WK you need to be agile and have speed, Jonnie is adequate which isn't ideal for a test keeper, in my opinion of course.

No arguments with any of that. I’ve said a few times that Foakes is the better keeper by far. I doubt even Bairstow would argue and he’s been poor behind the stumps this series so far. But it remains that he’s effectively filling two spots in the team. To play Foakes you either have to weaken the batting or lose a bowler.

exiledclaseboy said:
It’s an age old debate. A keeper who can bat a bit or a batter who can keep wicket. England fans have been having the argument since Alan Knott and Bob Taylor retired. Jack Russell is probably the best wicket keeper I’ve ever watched but only played 54 tests cos the preferred Alec Stewart behind the stumps.

Cos Micky Stewart preferred Alec Stewart behind the stumps?

monmouth said:
Cos Micky Stewart preferred Alec Stewart behind the stumps?

Well yeah but even taking the potential nepotism dynamic out it’s not the only example. Just the most high profile. Stewart was a far better keeper than Bairstow mind. Geraint Jones, Matt Prior, Jos Buttler. None of them were the best keepers available for England when they were test regulars.

exiledclaseboy said:
Well yeah but even taking the potential nepotism dynamic out it’s not the only example. Just the most high profile. Stewart was a far better keeper than Bairstow mind. Geraint Jones, Matt Prior, Jos Buttler. None of them were the best keepers available for England when they were test regulars.

Jos Butler is out of the Test picture is he or is he injured, think I remember somin about him being injured I may have dreamt it though :D

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back