• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Thoughts on Martin's gameplan

Stop fugging about with it when pressed at the back would be my team talk! Row Z and then reset.

Great to watch the tippy tappy gameplan. Really enjoyed it during the rise to the prem. When there is an end product ie a goal or scoring chance is lovely to watch but sadly teams have got us sussed out.
Our general play is pedestrian at best. We need to play at pace and get it wide( if we had decent wingers)
The problem we have is that with all due respect to the players we have we will never be able to prevent being caught out trying to play out from the back in tight situations. In the spine of the team we have our Harry and Ben with Grimes / Fulton doing their thing and Joel up front and not Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta & Messi up front.

killayjack74 said:
Stop fugging about with it when pressed at the back would be my team talk! Row Z and then reset.

Great to watch the tippy tappy gameplan. Really enjoyed it during the rise to the prem. When there is an end product ie a goal or scoring chance is lovely to watch but sadly teams have got us sussed out.
Our general play is pedestrian at best. We need to play at pace and get it wide( if we had decent wingers)
The problem we have is that with all due respect to the players we have we will never be able to prevent being caught out trying to play out from the back in tight situations. In the spine of the team we have our Harry and Ben with Grimes / Fulton doing their thing and Joel up front and not Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta & Messi up front.

I miss wingers.

Nocountryforoldjack said:
Fisher a blip 😂

What about wood,sorinola ect, they just more blips.i wouldn't give Martin a tenner to take to Frankie and bennies for lunch.

Sorinola is a loan, assuming a cheap one too, and Wood is a 20 year old centre half making his way in the game, he’ll be a good player at this level with experience.

Good job you’re not in charge of the purse strings then because when you’re allegedly in a deficit of £10m per year, you need smart signings like Downes to bring the coin in. Darling will be another imo as I keep saying.

Risc said:
You asked if we should trust him with money, the answer is yes, as the Downes deal shows, and then what if moment if he had been backed with the O’Reilly transfer, who was ready to sign.

Fisher looks to be a blip but I’m certain we’ll make heavy money on darling, bookmark it.

You cannot bring O’Reilly into this debate. There’s zero guarantee that he would have flourished in our team under Martin’s game plan.

karnataka said:
Darling has some inspired moments but also has more than enough catastrophic ones although maybe the catastrophic ones are down to how our defenders are told to play. Most of the time he's nothing special IMO, but, who knows, maybe a different manager can get more out of him. What's your definition of 'heavy money'? Wouldn't say he's worth much more than we paid for him atm.

This is where I am concerning Darling. He’s yet to adjust and fully step up to Championship standard, this isn’t helped by some of the tactics that he’s forced to play.

Risc said:
Sorinola is a loan, assuming a cheap one too, and Wood is a 20 year old centre half making his way in the game, he’ll be a good player at this level with experience.

Good job you’re not in charge of the purse strings then because when you’re allegedly in a deficit of £10m per year, you need smart signings like Downes to bring the coin in. Darling will be another imo as I keep saying.

All guess work on your part wood and darling are just as likely to remain rubbish as become worldies.i respect your opinion but I don't share it and there's a few others here that don't.

And where is the ten million coming from this year then? Not from the sale of obi

There was a comment earlier in the topic about getting back into the Premier League.

That's an interesting one for me - for years its what I wanted to see but it is also the period that gave us the very best times but also reminded us of the very worst that football can offer.

If we could get up there with the same spirit and belief we had in 2011 then brilliant but if we get up there needing to buy 15+ mercenaries who couldn't care if we get relegated or not then mid table in the Championship is a far better option to me. I have no issue in us needing to be a trading club but to be a successful trading club you need to be able to spot the good player at a good price, develop them nicely over 12-24 months and then sell them on at a profit.

For the Flynn Downes we have wasted loans in Burns, Stevens, WIlliams, Sorinola and Oko-Flex (balanced by Christie and Wolf - Laird went backwards in his time here IMO)

Then you can add in Wood, Darling and Fisher to the purchases and even Paterson and Obafemi (granted we wanted Obafemi beforehand) and you have issues that make me hesitate whether Martin has that ability to "spot the good player at a good price, develop them nicely over 12-24 months and then sell them on at a profit."

My final issue at the moment which goes back to I would happily watch a mid table Championship side over a Premier League side full of mercenaries is that for that to be good the entertainment needs to be high. And it isn't. And we still seem to have more than one mercenary in the squad.

PSumbler said:
There was a comment earlier in the topic about getting back into the Premier League.

That's an interesting one for me - for years its what I wanted to see but it is also the period that gave us the very best times but also reminded us of the very worst that football can offer.

If we could get up there with the same spirit and belief we had in 2011 then brilliant but if we get up there needing to buy 15+ mercenaries who couldn't care if we get relegated or not then mid table in the Championship is a far better option to me. I have no issue in us needing to be a trading club but to be a successful trading club you need to be able to spot the good player at a good price, develop them nicely over 12-24 months and then sell them on at a profit.

For the Flynn Downes we have wasted loans in Burns, Stevens, WIlliams, Sorinola and Oko-Flex (balanced by Christie and Wolf - Laird went backwards in his time here IMO)

Then you can add in Wood, Darling and Fisher to the purchases and even Paterson and Obafemi (granted we wanted Obafemi beforehand) and you have issues that make me hesitate whether Martin has that ability to "spot the good player at a good price, develop them nicely over 12-24 months and then sell them on at a profit."

My final issue at the moment which goes back to I would happily watch a mid table Championship side over a Premier League side full of mercenaries is that for that to be good the entertainment needs to be high. And it isn't. And we still seem to have more than one mercenary in the squad.

Good post,I don't think we'd get that spirit back again tbh. It was a blessing and a curse for sure.

PSumbler said:

Excellent.

Also, the 2011 spirit ran through the club top to bottom, not just the team. We won't be seeing those days again.

PSumbler said:

nail head firmly hit

I've written about the band of brothers spirit in the squad ...the "family" the club became from top to bottom after the Petty saga.....there were players who walked out in that first PL game against Man City who had played in that game against Hull when we faced dropping out of the league..
Back to the opening post I watched the video he lost me with "Fisher who has been good for us"......
It would be so easy for anyone to explain successful plans after the event ....how many times have we actually humiliated under Martin and how many times have we been humiliated?
Maybe he should stick to playing with counters

PSumbler said:

I've just posted a short comment in the General malaise thread.

I wish I'd posted this.

PSumbler said:

Careful, I only wrote a fraction of that yesterday and I was being touchy and grumpy apparently :(

Nocountryforoldjack said:
Good post,I don't think we'd get that spirit back again tbh. It was a blessing and a curse for sure.

Spot on, think it might have been me that posted about the Premier League, I also said that I can't see us achieving that with these owners and moreso with this Manager.

We are where we are because that's where we deserve to be at this present moment in time.

I'm happy enough with us being a mid table side with the odd flirtation with the top 6.

As for mercenaries aren't most Footballers that way, look at Paterson sulking around this time last year, same could be said about Manning and Latibeaudiere they remain professional though so I'm probably being unfair to them both.

Neath_Jack said:
Careful, I only wrote a fraction of that yesterday and I was being touchy and grumpy apparently :(

You was, I think you must have put sour milk on your cornflakes yesterday morning ;) :lol:

Cooperman said:
You cannot bring O’Reilly into this debate. There’s zero guarantee that he would have flourished in our team under Martin’s game plan.

Well he did under Martin at MK dons.

We missed the boat, simple as that and won’t be convinced otherwise.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back