• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Tropical Fish

Muteswan

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Anyone on here keep tropical fish?
I kept fish for quite a while many years ago and I’m thinking about setting up another tank.
Being away from it for about 25 years obviously equipment has changed significantly and so have the prices. 😳 Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I’m looking at a 120 x 40 x 50 cm ish size.
Any suggestions of retailers locally (Swansea) and surrounding area who, in your opinion are helpful would be great. Thanks.

Slightly different to what I’m looking at, but thanks for the info.
My brother in law has a large pond and he’s got some impressive Koi, I’m more for the smaller species. 😁

Muteswan said:
Slightly different to what I’m looking at, but thanks for the info.
My brother in law has a large pond and he’s got some impressive Koi, I’m more for the smaller species. 😁

I’m not sure how long he’ll have them mind he’s a gutsy twát.

Keeping tropical fish at home can have a calming effect on the brain.
This is due to all the indoor fins...

I used to use these https://fishnthings.wixsite.com/skewen

But like you, that was 25+ years ago.

Neath_Jack said:

Thanks. Things have changed a lot in the meantime, especially lighting.

Swanjaxs said:
Keeping tropical fish at home can have a calming effect on the brain.
This is due to all the indoor fins...

That's awful...but also quite good. :D

Muteswan said:
Neath_Jack said:

Thanks. Things have changed a lot in the meantime, especially lighting.

Google's your Friend

https://www.facebook.com/World-of-Aquatics-185775078136500/

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/storefinder/swansea-enterprise-park/

Aquatic Supplies & Services Wales Ltd, Unit 7, Queensway Business Centre, The Queensway, Fforest-fach, Swansea SA5 4DT

Cheers pal. Back in the day I used to go to a guy called John, he had a place behind the Odeon in Swansea. I think he moved to the garden centre near Fforestfach Tesco, now the Mary Dilwyn. Maybe he moved to Queensway. (If he’s still going after all this time). 🙄
I’ll certainly check around these places. Thanks again.

Muteswan said:
Cheers pal. Back in the day I used to go to a guy called John, he had a place behind the Odeon in Swansea. I think he moved to the garden centre near Fforestfach Tesco, now the Mary Dilwyn. Maybe he moved to Queensway. (If he’s still going after all this time). 🙄

Only just seen this one but I can help a bit!
I kept tropicals for 40 years (since I was in school) until I had to shutdown my setup in 2019 because of a house renovation.

I used to go to John Orr for years & he was a lovely bloke, really knowledgeable. After Forest Mill garden centre he did move to Queensway but unfortunately he's retired now & not involved.

Aquatic suppy Wales is decent, not very big but good quality stock (up to 2020 when I was still checking anyway!). The lad running it after John was a Swans fan too, I remember seeing him at Legoland before a derby game.

Maidenhead Aquatics in Llansamlet is OK but they also have a branch at the Pontardulais garden centre which is much bigger & well worth a visit if you're thinking about starting up.

The place in Skewen had gone downhill from my experience, too much diversifying & non aquatic stuff

Manselton Jack said:
Muteswan said:

I kept tropicals for 40 years (since I was in school) until I had to shutdown my setup in 2019 because of a house renovation.

I used to go to John Orr for years & he was a lovely bloke, really knowledgeable. After Forest Mill garden centre he did move to Queensway but unfortunately he's retired now & not involved.

Aquatic suppy Wales is decent, not very big but good quality stock (up to 2020 when I was still checking anyway!). The lad running it after John was a Swans fan too, I remember seeing him at Legoland before a derby game.

Maidenhead Aquatics in Llansamlet is OK but they also have a branch at the Pontardulais garden centre which is much bigger & well worth a visit if you're thinking about starting up.

The place in Skewen had gone downhill from my experience, too much diversifying & non aquatic stuff

Think his Son started a place up by the Liberty, but that went to the wall I think, has he started up again at Queensway?

Niigata Jack said:
Manselton Jack said:

Think his Son started a place up by the Liberty, but that went to the wall I think, has he started up again at Queensway?

John was running the shop at Queensway when it opened up but it must be the best part of 10 years since he packed it in. The place carried on with a young lad running it (in his 20's) & he was still there in 2020 when I last went there.
No idea whether he's related to John though.

Thanks guys, I’ll have to do a lot of reading up to get up to speed. I had a look in Maidenhead Aquatics last year, before I thought about starting again, and found it excellent. This was, obviously, whilst the restrictions were in place and I was merely browsing, next visit will be more interesting for me hopefully.

Muteswan said:
Thanks guys, I’ll have to do a lot of reading up to get up to speed. I had a look in Maidenhead Aquatics last year, before I thought about starting again, and found it excellent. This was, obviously, whilst the restrictions were in place and I was merely browsing, next visit will be more interesting for me hopefully.
The Pontardulais branch has got a massive range, largest in the area definitely.
You're right about lighting having changed a lot, my last setup had a Fluval LED light bar - bluetooth connection & controlled by an app on my phone, cost about £100 but a great bit of kit.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back