• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

What a strange day...

MrSwerve

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
I feel like I should be absolutely heartbroken today, but I genuinely feel nothing about yesterday. A little disappointed of course, but I genuinely don't care that we'll be playing Barnsley next year instead of Man Utd.

I think the fact that I expected to lose in the fashion that we did has meant that I'm not gutted at all. There was no contest, and I think most of us knew deep down that it was going to play out like that.

Even though the PL is seen as the 'promised land' by many, especially the media, I don't miss much of it. The only thing that I am disappointed about is the financial side of things. Although we all know that the hands start to dip in when you're in the PL.

I don't think I'm on my own on this?

Can't disagree. Today feels more gut wrenching from the prospect of what we lost financially and the implications for the club. Perhaps if we had the swashbuckling styles of yesteryear perhaps it would be sadness that we'd fallen short but this team didn't deserve promotion

I'm with you on this Mr S. But my conflict is always around wanting us to win every game (like most Jack's, obv) and so winning the league we are in means we get promoted.

When we last went up we were playing some lovely stuff and challenging, and sometimes beating, the big boys.

But this time around, watching us hoof aimlessly with the hope that a lucky bounce or a defensive mistake will fluke us a goal is just not fun.

I sometimes watch the "Michu 22 goals" and "Celina v Man City 2014" videos and to see how far we have fallen is quite depressing.

So like you, I'm ok with not playing in the PL next season because I genuinely believe we would get a pasting most weeks.

And I simply don't understand how our players yesterday can have put in such a pathetic performance in what is the richest match in club football. I can't believe any of them are truly that poor and quite why Cooper was not able to get his tactics right and more importantly better motivate the team are the reasons why I think he should move on. He seems like a genuine guy, but nice guys aren't always winners.

legoman said:
I'm with you on this Mr S. But my conflict is always around wanting us to win every game (like most Jack's, obv) and so winning the league we are in means we get promoted.

When we last went up we were playing some lovely stuff and challenging, and sometimes beating, the big boys.

But this time around, watching us hoof aimlessly with the hope that a lucky bounce or a defensive mistake will fluke us a goal is just not fun.

I sometimes watch the "Michu 22 goals" and "Celina v Man City 2014" videos and to see how far we have fallen is quite depressing.

So like you, I'm ok with not playing in the PL next season because I genuinely believe we would get a pasting most weeks.

And I simply don't understand how our players yesterday can have put in such a pathetic performance in what is the richest match in club football. I can't believe any of them are truly that poor and quite why Cooper was not able to get his tactics right and more importantly better motivate the team are the reasons why I think he should move on. He seems like a genuine guy, but nice guys aren't always winners.

Championship play offs are usually close, tight, hard fought affairs. We had no fight. That's what makes me angry

I feel exactly the same as the OP. An excellent thread that's inspired me to comment. Long may it continue.

Compared to the brutal play off final losses against Barnsley and Northampton yesterday was a meh. Was obvious early on what was gonna happen and not many had high expectations anyway.

More interested to see the comings and goings in the summer. Feels like a crossroads off season to me.

I’d forgotten about it by the time I was stood on the platform at Wembley Stadium Station. Didn’t give it a thought driving back and not at all put out today. In 2011 I don’t think I’d have got over it for a long time.

monmouth said:
I’d forgotten about it by the time I was stood on the platform at Wembley Stadium Station. Didn’t give it a thought driving back and not at all put out today. In 2011 I don’t think I’d have got over it for a long time.

It's really strange and I cannot put my finger on why I feel this way.

The same would equally apply if we'd won yesterday.

MrSwerve said:
I feel like I should be absolutely heartbroken today, but I genuinely feel nothing about yesterday. A little disappointed of course, but I genuinely don't care that we'll be playing Barnsley next year instead of Man Utd.

I think the fact that I expected to lose in the fashion that we did has meant that I'm not gutted at all. There was no contest, and I think most of us knew deep down that it was going to play out like that.

Even though the PL is seen as the 'promised land' by many, especially the media, I don't miss much of it. The only thing that I am disappointed about is the financial side of things. Although we all know that the hands start to dip in when you're in the PL.

I don't think I'm on my own on this?
Same.

There was a sense of inevitability about it based on the 'form' of the last few months.

Looking at it objectively, we can compete in the Championship but any aspirations for further progress needs to be shared by the club's decision makers and backed with investment to give the team a chance to deliver.

Oh to be entertained again, rediscover our identity and put a smile on everyone's face. That to me is far more important right now than welcoming the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City to the Liberty.

Apart from wanting promotion for the financial gain there was no wish for it. The team/squad were nowhere ready for it. The defensive side has improved but some clean sheets were down to the poor standard of strikers in the division. Many things can be looked at that went against us transfer and injury wise. It does seem that Birch leaving had an affect on Cooper. At the moment we are in a transition period where the rebuild hasn't even started

Jackfath said:
I feel exactly the same as the OP. An excellent thread that's inspired me to comment. Long may it continue.

Keep posting, Fathy.

Maybe we need another LT10 character to get the life back into us all after such a torrid year. Covid has taken its toll on is all in ways we'd never have anticipated.

MrSwerve said:
monmouth said:

It's really strange and I cannot put my finger on why I feel this way.

The same would equally apply if we'd won yesterday.

It’s because we’ve been there for 7 seasons and it’s not what it’s cracked up to be.

Last time it was about playing the big teams and in big grounds. We’ve done them all so often now you’re only left with the reality of hoping not to lose every week.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back