• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Winter fuel allowance could be removed for most pensioners to pay for triple lock

Niigata Jack said:
Old people be fucked, everyone gets old, if they are lucky you looking forward to being Old?

A tory policy, yeah rightio, a Tory government that has wasted trillions over the last ten years or more on policy failure after failures

You can believe what you like, but not all pensioners, have had decent businesses, well paid job's with very good retirement plans, I see it everyday in my working week, pensioners afraid to run their boilers for fear of not being able to pay the next bill, or those who don't have the money to top their pre-payment meters up, you wouldn't see it in the tory circles that you probably move in.

"If it had been a “double lock” for a few years this would have raised billions, this could have pumped money into services that old people need and more especially poorer pensioners."

You're an expert then?

You can butter it up all you like, but its about time people who have worked all their lives receive the benefits they deserve, not all can or could afford to have private pensions, or have worked in an environment that enables them to receive final salary pensions.

Millions have worked in hard physically demanding jobs and are suffering from ill health, arthritic joints etc they haven't all sat behind a desk looking out of the window of their offices and drinking coffee all day, their stress levels must be off the scale bless them :roll: yet most can look forward to a decent pension if not a final salary one and yes they still exist.

Why are you so angry? This site amazes me at times.

I’m simply suggesting that the money could be funnelled better towards those most in need and into services that old people require. It’s just an opinion there’s no need to see this as an attack on old people.

I do think post credit crunch there has been a massive imbalance in the way the State has cut significantly and it increased taxation yet older people have been completely insulated and actually done much better.

I’m simply saying that eg 10% pay rise when inflation was peaking deemed a bit crazy to me when we’re struggling to pay for public services and taxation is at its highest.

And as much as you like others like to go on an anti Tory rant. This was a policy brought in by the coalition Government and is a firm favourite with the Tory voters and party. There’s no way in a million years they would drop it. Far more likely that would happen under a Labour Government although again very unlikely.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the UK has one of the lowest if not the lowest pension in Europe.

Sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on this.

Resolvenjack said:
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the UK has one of the lowest if not the lowest pension in Europe.

Sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on this.

In much of Europe they don’t have the same level of Home ownership. There’s a multitude of factors that we could go into. But it’s a fair point that is raised often.

In my opinion we should have a much wider conversation over the proportion of spending the State does on certain things.

For me we should put more resources into education and infrastructure. But all we’ll ever hear is more money on “our NHS” I’ve no issue with the latter if that comes with massive reforms. But these ‘choices’ are just that choices. If we keep triple lock that means money is taken from elsewhere.

rockinj said:
In much of Europe they don’t have the same level of Home ownership. There’s a multitude of factors that we could go into. But it’s a fair point that is raised often.

In my opinion we should have a much wider conversation over the proportion of spending the State does on certain things.

For me we should put more resources into education and infrastructure. But all we’ll ever hear is more money on “our NHS” I’ve no issue with the latter if that comes with massive reforms. But these ‘choices’ are just that choices. If we keep triple lock that means money is taken from elsewhere.

No it doesn't, the Trillions wasted by your useless Tory Government has taken that money away, but hey their mates and their funders have made fortunes from the British trod on Tax Payer, but, Hey, lets not let facts spoil your narrative, is it!

Niigata Jack said:
No it doesn't, the Trillions wasted by your useless Tory Government has taken that money away, but hey their mates and their funders have made fortunes from the British trod on Tax Payer, but, Hey, lets not let facts spoil your narrative, is it!

Look I’m not going to fall into this tedious red blue trap especially as I loathe this Government (sigh)

But I will respond with some very simple truths. The reason we are in a lot of trouble stems from several factors.

Namely the pandemic which resulted in massive borrowing to keep things on track. Remember furlough? That very Tory policy of propping up the labour Market? It cost tens of billions.

We had the enormous spending on the covid response with yes some very dodgy agreements (you won’t get any arguments from me)

The Global inflation issues which every Government has wrestled with.

Then you have the Brexit debacle that has exacerbated all issues with lower business inward investment, end to FOM and trade barriers

So although it suits you to talk about money for mates in reality it’s multi faceted and much of this is at the door of this useless Government.

When you add in the dramatic moves towards AI this requires radical thinking in relation to how we structure our economy, that no party is really willing to have a grasp. The closest was that disastrous Liz Truss period which had some truths in relation to the UK economy but the prescription was ideological vandalism.

rockinj said:
Why are you so angry? This site amazes me at times.

I’m simply suggesting that the money could be funnelled better towards those most in need and into services that old people require. It’s just an opinion there’s no need to see this as an attack on old people.

I do think post credit crunch there has been a massive imbalance in the way the State has cut significantly and it increased taxation yet older people have been completely insulated and actually done much better.

I’m simply saying that eg 10% pay rise when inflation was peaking deemed a bit crazy to me when we’re struggling to pay for public services and taxation is at its highest.

And as much as you like others like to go on an anti Tory rant. This was a policy brought in by the coalition Government and is a firm favourite with the Tory voters and party. There’s no way in a million years they would drop it. Far more likely that would happen under a Labour Government although again very unlikely.

I am not and wasn't angry, annoyed maybe, by your Old People comment and then writing pensioners is there a difference?

You miss my points [conveniently without doubt] about the value that "older people" have given throughout their working lives and paid vast amounts into economy so why shouldn't they recoup some of that? I've worked for 47 years and got another 4 yrs to go, how much have others and myself contributed to the economy through taxation and national insurance [another tax dressed up as something else].?

Anyway you crack on waving your Blue Flag. Don't take that as me being a Labour supporter either, cause they are and would be as equally useless.

Niigata Jack said:
I am not and wasn't angry, annoyed maybe, by your Old People comment and then writing pensioners is there a difference?

You miss my points [conveniently without doubt] about the value that "older people" have given throughout their working lives and paid vast amounts into economy so why shouldn't they recoup some of that? I've worked for 47 years and got another 4 yrs to go, how much have others and myself contributed to the economy through taxation and national insurance [another tax dressed up as something else].?

Anyway you crack on waving your Blue Flag. Don't take that as me being a Labour supporter either, cause they are and would be as equally useless.

You sound like a tory to me Sir.

Me, myself and I. Just keep missing my points and keep calling me something I’m not if it makes you happy.

I’ll say it again and for the last time. It was implemented by the coalition Government it has been trumpeted by subsequent Tory Governments and is something that is overwhelmingly supported and used as a political tool in papers like the mail and express.

I wish you well over the next few years and enjoy your retirement. I hope it’s a happy and healthy one.

exiledclaseboy said:
I agree with almost all of this. The problem with means testing is and has always been that it disadvantages those who need help most and often struggle with a lack of support amd filling in forms etc. means testing is great in theory, like a lot of things. In practice it doesn’t always work out well for many.

I didn’t realise you were a Tory. How I could call you left wing, you massive Thatcherite

rockinj said:
You sound like a tory to me Sir.

Me, myself and I. Just keep missing my points and keep calling me something I’m not if it makes you happy.

I’ll say it again and for the last time. It was implemented by the coalition Government it has been trumpeted by subsequent Tory Governments and is something that is overwhelmingly supported and used as a political tool in papers like the mail and express.

I wish you well over the next few years and enjoy your retirement. I hope it’s a happy and healthy one.

Thanks.

I wouldn't know who to vote for, neither instil any confidence in me and a Tory I'd never ever be, perish the thought. :x

J_B said:
I get the winter fuel allowance and I don’t need it. The first year I got it was last year and I gave it straight to our daughter who’s bringing up two children on her own on a teacher’s salary and is struggling financially.

It wouldn’t be that difficult to target those on pension credit with the winter fuel allowance.

I'm in the same boat but a few years ahead of you. The first time I got it would have been about 6 years ago and I remember giving it to a homeless charity in Somerset on that occasion. I've given it to various other charities since then and never the same one twice but it would make far more sense to target those in genuine need whether that's by means testing or any other system.

Pegojack said:
Hey, I'm a pensioner, why aren't I getting my winter fuel allowance???
😎

You can’t get air conditioner allowance.

Niigata Jack said:

Fu*k me you had a beer mush :lol: solidarity comrade!!

Epaul said:
Fu*k me you had a beer mush :lol: solidarity comrade!!

I did last night yes, not sure if that counts in regards to my posts yesterday morning though :lol:

Reading this thread back in comical.

As ever attacked at time but proven right. But as ever the usual tribalism kicks in with most.

Labour are making good decisions that will help to put economy on a more stable footing after the profligacy of the last Government.

Anyone commenting on here ready to reflect a bit? Take the specs off and have an open mind on issues.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back