• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Joey Barton on women commentating on men's football...

If I’m being honest, I don’t like listening to women commentate on football.

I can’t take them seriously I’m sorry, it’s just how I feel. It’s also unpleasant to listen to, the pitch is all wrong. There is a reason old fashioned commentators had a warm delivery, it’s meant to add layers not drown the coverage.

With the rise of the women’s game which I’ve no issue with, why can’t the natural progression be for these ex female pros to go onto that coverage?

Presenting is different there are some excellent female presenters. Although Alex Scott is the big exception. Her diction is appalling. I can’t understand how anyone could seriously say they enjoy watching her present. I just don’t believe you.

rockinj said:
If I’m being honest, I don’t like listening to women commentate on football.

I can’t take them seriously I’m sorry, it’s just how I feel. It’s also unpleasant to listen to, the pitch is all wrong. There is a reason old fashioned commentators had a warm delivery, it’s meant to add layers not drown the coverage.

With the rise of the women’s game which I’ve no issue with, why can’t the natural progression be for these ex female pros to go onto that coverage?

Presenting is different there are some excellent female presenters. Although Alex Scott is the big exception. Her diction is appalling. I can’t understand how anyone could seriously say they enjoy watching her present. I just don’t believe you.

Diction isn't everything, she's from a council estate and she has a go, she's not going to change her personality just to fit in with the snobs mun.. even the Eton politicians are not well versed, they're nowhere near the old guard, because they've moved with the times I guess

Skippyjack said:
Diction isn't everything, she's from a council estate and she has a go, she's not going to change her personality just to fit in with the snobs mun.. even the Eton politicians are not well versed, they're nowhere near the old guard, because they've moved with the times I guess

Always the excuse.

You can be working class and speak properly.

It’s just annoying to listen to that’s the truth

rockinj said:
Always the excuse.

You can be working class and speak properly.

It’s just annoying to listen to that’s the truth

What does “speaking properly” sound like to you?

exiledclaseboy said:
What does “speaking properly” sound like to you?

If a presenter is referring to boxing.

I would like them to say “boxing” not boxin

That should be pretty basic in my eyes. That’s just one example. This happens constantly. I find it annoying. I bet you would too if the person in question was a man, heterosexual and white.

rockinj said:

That should be pretty basic in my eyes. That’s just one example. This happens constantly. I find it annoying. I bet you would too if the person in question was a man, heterosexual and white.

So as a south Walian you don’t drop Hs or Gs? Because if you’ve got anything approaching an authentic south Wales accent you aren’t “speaking properly” in the way you’ve just described it. The same goes for no end of regional accents from across England, Scotland and the north of Ireland. Frankly, you’re talking absolute nonsense.

exiledclaseboy said:
So as a south Walian you don’t drop Hs or Gs? Because if you’ve got anything approaching an authentic south Wales accent you aren’t “speaking properly” in the way you’ve just described it. The same goes for no end of regional accents from across England, Scotland and the north of Ireland. Frankly, you’re talking absolute nonsense.

No I’m not. Two Welsh presenters that come to mind John Humphrys and Huw Edwards (bless him) are south wales boys.

Would you say they don’t speak properly? Accent is different to how you pronounce words. You just always have to take a progressive viewpoint no matter what.

Does it not get tiring?

rockinj said:
No I’m not. Two Welsh presenters that come to mind John Humphrys and Huw Edwards (bless him) are south wales boys.

Would you say they don’t speak properly? Accent is different to how you pronounce words. You just always have to take a progressive viewpoint no matter what.

Does it not get tiring?

Ever said “innit” instead of “isn’t it”? Do you say “in the house” or “in the ‘ouse”? I haven’t said anyone doesn’t speak properly. There’s no such thing as speaking properly. Which is kind of the point.

exiledclaseboy said:
Ever said “innit” instead of “isn’t it”? Do you say “in the house” or “in the ‘ouse”? I haven’t said anyone doesn’t speak properly. There’s no such thing as speaking properly. Which is kind of the point.

No never spoken like that. I say isn’t it and house.

Would you seriously be okay with a presenter saying innit? Think you’ve just lost this exchange matey.

rockinj said:

Queens English is what you like....I blame the yanks for the down fall of the English language, innit mush

rockinj said:
No never spoken like that. I say isn’t it and house.

Would you seriously be okay with a presenter saying innit? Think you’ve just lost this exchange matey.

I don’t believe the first bit if you’re actually from Swansea. And it doesn’t matter a jot to be what accent a TV presenter speaks in. Jamie Carragher speaks fluent Scouse. Alan Shearer drops geordie Hs all over the place. Ian Wright definitely doesn’t “speak properly” by your alleged standards. Roy Keane? Ally Mcoist? Karen Carney? Emma Haynes?

There is literally no such thing as “speaking properly”.

exiledclaseboy said:
I don’t believe the first bit if you’re actually from Swansea. And it doesn’t matter a jot to be what accent a TV presenter speaks in. Jamie Carragher speaks fluent Scouse. Alan Shearer drops geordie Hs all over the place. Ian Wright definitely doesn’t “speak properly” by your alleged standards. Roy Keane? Ally Mcoist? Karen Carney? Emma Haynes?

There is literally no such thing as “speaking properly”.

Not one *presenter* in that list.

Try again

rockinj said:
Not one *presenter* in that list.

Try again

You’re clutching now. Let it go. This contrary controversialist stuff is so 15 years ago.

exiledclaseboy said:
You’re clutching now. Let it go. This contrary controversialist stuff is so 15 years ago.

That’s not clutching that was literally my point

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back