• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Meltdown Thread

Badlands said:
Nocountryforoldjack said:
😂 Second goal maybe but there was nothing freaky about the third goal, that was simply the goal keeper giving up playing whilst the match was still going on. Revisionism at its finest coming from you but in glad your encouraged.

Not according to Palmer who states they targeted Woodman, the only expectation was someone would get a touch rather than the ball going in with the goalkeeper stranded.
After the Brentford game I said we were very lucky they didn't take their chances or we could have been thumped as were Wycombe soon after ... ridicule ensued.
Forest and now Bristol have now highlighted the situation ... a team that isn't afraid of our defensive reputation can help themselves to the points. Through the season it is difficult to find a game we have been comfortable winning (no bull, other sides have comfortable wins, everyone has good luck and bad luck and everyone has nervy games). I also read the ‘ winning ugly' commenters claiming we lost because we played 'pretty' (good) football while ignoring the fact we were completely dominant and leading when we were playing that way.
From the goal on it was back to hoofing and hoping as our midfield once again was overrun.
Some say two goals were 'freaky' ... no they weren't, all three resulted from Bristol pressing and out-thinking a complacent / tired / mentally fatigued set of players.
Cooper's subs were a panic measure, a poor reaction to a situation he had not considered.
Cooper stood, hands in pockets, not knowing what to do we humbly surrendered all 3 points.
We beat Coventry and Forest because of two players' individual skill and determination when the team was at sea.
It has been the same since Cooper arrived, he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Not going to argue everything in there, but I'd say we won comfortably against Norwich, which even you have to admit is pretty impressive?

We've won 10 league games this season by 2 goals, often by a score of 2-0. Are you really suggesting that none of those 2 goal wins were relatively comfortable?

If we go up this season, it's going to be through playing the same relatively dour football we've seen all season, underpinned by strong defensive performances. We're not Brendan's 2011 team and we're not going to score like Brentford. I think those facts make people a lot more disappointed when we lose games.

Chief said:
Swanjaxs said:
Crossed wires, I was referring to the 3rd goal, a goal you also refer to as "freak"

Certainly a freak again yea, rarely happens. And game was over then anyway. Hopefully Woodman is awake to it in future.

So the game was over at 2-1... Jesus christ, your talking nonsense.

JackSomething said:
Not going to argue everything in there, but I'd say we won comfortably against Norwich, which even you have to admit is pretty impressive?

We've won 10 league games this season by 2 goals, often by a score of 2-0. Are you really suggesting that none of those 2 goal wins were relatively comfortable?

If we go up this season, it's going to be through playing the same relatively dour football we've seen all season, underpinned by strong defensive performances. We're not Brendan's 2011 team and we're not going to score like Brentford. I think those facts make people a lot more disappointed when we lose games.

I think that nails what I felt about Coventry and Saturday. We went into negative passive mode at one nil. It has to be two nil and then it works just fine. At one nil unless it´s after 75 to 80 minutes we have to keep playing for that second goal in terms of mental focus. Saturday we just went straight back into negative and seemed to think it was done. We also needed some fresh impetus in midfield before we even scored. Saturdays failure was ultimately a coaching failure in the end. It wasn´t his fault though that so many players couldn´t hit a cows arse. It need never have come to what it did. Cooper is doing a lot better than I thought he would and he deserves to do the next 15 games his way, even if that is 15xFlat Three and Ayew'Lowe twin ´prong´.

Chief said:
Swanjaxs said:
Crossed wires, I was referring to the 3rd goal, a goal you also refer to as "freak"

Certainly a freak again yea, rarely happens. And game was over then anyway. Hopefully Woodman is awake to it in future.

If you think a player chasing down a back pass and catching out a keeper who is taking too long over a clearance is a "freak goal" then perhaps football ain't for you 😂

Swanjaxs said:
Chief said:

If you think a player chasing down a back pass and catching out a keeper who is taking too long over a clearance is a "freak goal" then perhaps football ain't for you 😂

It is a 'freak goal' as in it's not something you see happening very often. Goalkeepers don't have clearances blocked very often and it's even more rare that the block leads to a goal. It can be a freak goal and a cock-up by Woodman at the same time, which I'd say this was.

If I'm wrong and goalkeepers have attempted clearances blocked leading to goals scored regularly, then by all means give us the examples and I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

It was clearly a freak goal. Conceding straight from a corner is also highly unusual. Guehi losing the ball like he did was also out of character. Those are the facts.
If, however, you have a narrative to sustain, they are just evidence of Coopers continuing failure.

JackSomething said:
Swanjaxs said:

It is a 'freak goal' as in it's not something you see happening very often. Goalkeepers don't have clearances blocked very often and it's even more rare that the block leads to a goal. It can be a freak goal and a cock-up by Woodman at the same time, which I'd say this was.

If I'm wrong and goalkeepers have attempted clearances blocked leading to goals scored regularly, then by all means give us the examples and I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

You don't see many 35 yard overhead kicks go in regularly either do you?

Listen up, the lad chased down a back pass, he caught Woodman out, the clearance struck him and went his way, was that luck, maybe, freak, absolutely not

Captain_Sham said:
It was clearly a freak goal. Conceding straight from a corner is also highly unusual. Guehi losing the ball like he did was also out of character. Those are the facts.
If, however, you have a narrative to sustain, they are just evidence of Coopers continuing failure.

Again, the Bristol lad chased down a back pass, and blocked the clearance, it went his way, do you class every tackle won as "a freak challenge"?

I'm all ears 👂

Captain_Sham said:

No narrative just facts, that third goal you'd see down ashliegh Rd on any Sunday. Lucky Rick o shay off woodman yes, freak no.

Swanjaxs said:
JackSomething said:

Listen up, the lad chased down a back pass, he caught Woodman out, the clearance struck him and went his way, was that luck, maybe, freak, absolutely not

A 35 yard overhead kick goal would also be a freak goal because it is so unusual. I think what may be spinning you out is your misunderstanding of what a 'freak' goal is.

A freak event is one that is a very unusual or extreme example of its type (Collins dictionary definition). So a goalkeeper having a clearance blocked isn't a freak event. The block leading directly to a goal is absolutely a freak event because it doesn't happen very often. Same with your overhead kick goal example. Overhead goals are pretty rare, but not rare enough to qualify as 'freak'. A 35 yard overhead kick goal would absolutely qualify.

Nocountryforoldjack's example of Ashleigh Road on any Sunday doesn't work because they aren't professional footballers and so poor play like that probably is more likely to happen. Although probably nowhere near as much as he suggests.

So, the goal was both a mistake by Woodman and a 'freak' goal. I can't really see how anyone can argue against that.

JackSomething said:
Swanjaxs said:

A 35 yard overhead kick goal would also be a freak goal because it is so unusual. I think what may be spinning you out is your misunderstanding of what a 'freak' goal is.

A freak event is one that is a very unusual or extreme example of its type (Collins dictionary definition). So a goalkeeper having a clearance blocked isn't a freak event. The block leading directly to a goal is absolutely a freak event because it doesn't happen very often. Same with your overhead kick goal example. Overhead goals are pretty rare, but not rare enough to qualify as 'freak'. A 35 yard overhead kick goal would absolutely qualify.

Nocountryforoldjack's example of Ashleigh Road on any Sunday doesn't work because they aren't professional footballers and so poor play like that probably is more likely to happen. Although probably nowhere near as much as he suggests.

So, the goal was both a mistake by Woodman and a 'freak' goal. I can't really see how anyone can argue against that.
So, let's get this straight, in your opinion, a player closing down an opponent, making basically a block tackle, resulting in a goal, is a freak incident...

Is that what your saying 🤔

Swanjaxs said:
JackSomething said:

So, let's get this straight, in your opinion, a player closing down an opponent, making basically a block tackle, resulting in a goal, is a freak incident...

Exactly, as long as you change 'closing down an opponent' to closing down a goalkeeper.

It doesn't happen very often in professional football. For a goalkeeper to make such a basic mistake, for the bounce of the ball to directly result in a goal, just doesn't happen often.

Or are you aware of loads of similar instances?

JackSomething said:
Swanjaxs said:

Exactly, as long as you change 'closing down an opponent' to closing down a goalkeeper.

It doesn't happen very often in professional football. For a goalkeeper to make such a basic mistake, for the bounce of the ball to directly result in a goal, just doesn't happen often.

Or are you aware of loads of similar instances?

So a goalkeeper isn't an opponent then?
Is that what yo...
Nah, second thoughts don't bother 😂😂😂😂

Not going to go through all the thread but this is just my opinion. there were two factors.

The ref bottled sending off their player when the foul committed warranted a yellow card, because the player was already on a yellow. This was the first factor.

This prompted an immediate substitution by Pearson, which also dictated a change in shape for them.

This change in shape changed how they played and they got more into the game, we scored initially but the tide was turning, the total dominance was gone and they were coming at us.

At this point I like many commenting were all realizing we needed to change things up. This never happened (second factor). Cooper should have done something to steady the ship not hope the players would suddenly switch on.

Unlike a few though, I don't believe the season is over, there will be plenty of twists and turns to come, there's 13-15 games to go. Whether we benefit or not none of us will know, but we still are up there.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back