• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Moving House

monmouth said:
Aye, cleaning, maintenance, garden, decorating all seem a constant pain. Like the bloody Forth Rail Bridge it is. I do like the space, but we hardly sit in the lounge and don’t need 5 bedrooms. It’s a lot of money tied up when you have no kids and are knocking on too. Equity release is better than it was, but I’d rather think about that in our last residence. Which I suppose might be this one if I accept that we can’t keep it as I’d want it; it’s quiet and secure, but doesn’t make much financial sense even with the cost of moving.

A five bed would be too big for sure.

Hoping to be mortgage free in two or three years if things work out. Selling my house would pay off both our mortgages with plenty left over for renovations on her place. Slowly starting to declutter already.

Dr. Winston said:
monmouth said:
Aye, cleaning, maintenance, garden, decorating all seem a constant pain. Like the bloody Forth Rail Bridge it is. I do like the space, but we hardly sit in the lounge and don’t need 5 bedrooms. It’s a lot of money tied up when you have no kids and are knocking on too. Equity release is better than it was, but I’d rather think about that in our last residence. Which I suppose might be this one if I accept that we can’t keep it as I’d want it; it’s quiet and secure, but doesn’t make much financial sense even with the cost of moving.

A five bed would be too big for sure.

Hoping to be mortgage free in two or three years if things work out. Selling my house would pay off both our mortgages with plenty left over for renovations on her place. Slowly starting to declutter already.

Hope it works out. Good plan.

Squarebear said:
When the in-laws were slowing down we spent several days clearing out their loft in readiness for them moving somewhere low-maintenance.

Well, the feckers had kept every box from every item they'd bought in sixty years of marriage.

Unfortunately every item we pulled out of the loft was immediately seized by one or other of the old codgers who began a long diatribe of where they came upon this item, what they did with it, where they'd like to put it in their next house. It was bizarre.

Consequently Mrs Bear is now ruthless about keeping our own "baggage" in check, constantly badgering me to Chuck stuff out so the kids won't have to deal with it. It's a PITA.

Ever thought of moving to a civilised country in your old age, Monny. Brexit has made it more difficult but not impossible. Basically you need to demonstrate an annual income of around 34,000€ for a married couple, that and a couple of minor requirements like having private medical insurance for a year.
With the equity release in your property, you could probably manage that and buy a nice gaff here in the sun.

I like moving house from time to time because it’s like a breath of fresh air for me. It helps to get some things out of my system, change the environment, and feel that life is not that stationery. I feel stagnation every time I stay in one place for more than a year, and I don’t know why, probably because I am such a person.
Moving might be tricky, but there are some tips to make it easier and be less stressed about it. I always make a list of all my belongings, not forgetting anything, and I also attach lists of things to the boxes they are in to know where they are. It’s also a good idea to check the new place properly and ensure there are flaws in the building you don’t know about. You might even order a sjonessurveying.co.uk report to be sure you won’t get any problems with the house later.

Jestixty said:
I like moving house from time to time because it’s like a breath of fresh air for me. It helps to get some things out of my system, change the environment, and feel that life is not that stationery. I feel stagnation every time I stay in one place for more than a year, and I don’t know why, probably because I am such a person.

If I was doing that I would never unpack half the boxes!!

Jestixty said:

Do you steal, I mean collect, scrap

I can understand your feelings because, from personal experience, I know how hard and annoying moving can be. Of course, there are situations where people aren't stressed at all during the move, but it's obviously not about me. It was one of the most terrible experiences in my life because I had to let go of a crazy amount of our things. But in the end, I'm very happy that we decided to change our lives and buy a new house. Now we're doing repairs there and waiting for the doors from doorsdirect2u.co.uk company to be delivered. The next step would be the furniture and new bathroom, so we have a long way of work ahead.

Pegojack said:
Ever thought of moving to a civilised country in your old age, Monny. Brexit has made it more difficult but not impossible. Basically you need to demonstrate an annual income of around 34,000€ for a married couple, that and a couple of minor requirements like having private medical insurance for a year.
With the equity release in your property, you could probably manage that and buy a nice gaff here in the sun.

Presumably the energy cost of running a home is much lower there because of the warm climate most of year, except for the cost of heating the pool?

So after weeks of decluttering and being ready for a planned move today the people buying our house decided on Wednesday morning they didnt want to buy it any more.

No contracts exchanged so two mad days having to cancel everything we had in place for the move

And many many choice words uttered!

Oh man. I'm sorry to hear this. I daresay it's a little like being left at the altar. Were they at the end of the chain or did they lose their buyers? Not that it makes a difference to you.

My prospective son-in-law has been in a chain of six for most of this year and what with all the interest rate hikes, lenders withdrawing deals, I was convinced he'd miss out on his new flat but thankfully he completed last Friday, just weeks before his mortgage offer expired.

Conveyancing is a total ball-ache.

I would imagine there is a big increase in people pulling out of moves , with rising interest rates and forecasts of house prices falling by 12 percent in 2023 , fear of affordability and negative equity

PSumbler said:
So after weeks of decluttering and being ready for a planned move today the people buying our house decided on Wednesday morning they didnt want to buy it any more.

No contracts exchanged so two mad days having to cancel everything we had in place for the move

And many many choice words uttered!

That’s terrible news.
We were in a situation this year in May with builders pulling out last minute.
Two weeks before due to start an extension after getting planning permission, building control, architect, structural engineer, Welsh Water permissions and new boiler paid for, new kitchen paid for, the builder pulled out.
We looked for another builder who was available asap, found one and started everything again. This builder called in many times and we were told on the Tuesday “I’ll be getting the skips delivered on Thursday and the Portaloo”. This was July. Nothing turned up and no answer on his phone. We’ve not heard from him since, despite numerous attempts by us .
Back to looking for another builder, bearing in mind prices of materials escalating and builders availability decreasing, we at last contacted another via a recommendation by some friends and lo and behold, he started the job last Monday. 👍
Each of the builders took us to jobs they had finished and the owners couldn’t speak highly enough about them and were advertising on Facebook with photos to show work, so reputable (?) apparently.
Fingers crossed 🤞 for you .
Must be us they didn’t take to. 🙄

Squarebear said:
Oh man. I'm sorry to hear this. I daresay it's a little like being left at the altar. Were they at the end of the chain or did they lose their buyers? Not that it makes a difference to you.

My prospective son-in-law has been in a chain of six for most of this year and what with all the interest rate hikes, lenders withdrawing deals, I was convinced he'd miss out on his new flat but thankfully he completed last Friday, just weeks before his mortgage offer expired.

Conveyancing is a total ball-ache.

They were at the end of the chain just pulled out - chain was only four.

Everything is much slower than it used to be - interest rates dont help but some of the issue is people home working on some days so things that used to take a minute seem to wait a couple of days until two people are back in the office together

In so many ways we have adapted to working at home but not everyone manages it as well as it should be

Not that it would have made any different when people pull out

Best_loser said:
I would imagine there is a big increase in people pulling out of moves , with rising interest rates and forecasts of house prices falling by 12 percent in 2023 , fear of affordability and negative equity

I can see that bit happening for certain

Muteswan said:
That’s terrible news.
We were in a situation this year in May with builders pulling out last minute.
Two weeks before due to start an extension after getting planning permission, building control, architect, structural engineer, Welsh Water permissions and new boiler paid for, new kitchen paid for, the builder pulled out.
We looked for another builder who was available asap, found one and started everything again. This builder called in many times and we were told on the Tuesday “I’ll be getting the skips delivered on Thursday and the Portaloo”. This was July. Nothing turned up and no answer on his phone. We’ve not heard from him since, despite numerous attempts by us .
Back to looking for another builder, bearing in mind prices of materials escalating and builders availability decreasing, we at last contacted another via a recommendation by some friends and lo and behold, he started the job last Monday. 👍
Each of the builders took us to jobs they had finished and the owners couldn’t speak highly enough about them and were advertising on Facebook with photos to show work, so reputable (?) apparently.
Fingers crossed 🤞 for you .
Must be us they didn’t take to. 🙄

The most frustrating part of that is the silence that greets it - we had similar last year with some work we wanted doing, would get in touch, someone would price it and then not be interested when we wanted to take them up on the price. Suspect its because they find a better job but still most of that kind of business is built on reputation!

AT least its underway for you now - hope it goes well

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back