• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Moving House

Darran said:
I was chatting Sumblers wife up in Port Talbot last week and believe me she was very angry.

You do tend to have that affect on many people ;)

The tale continues...

We had one couple do two viewings in the few days after the house went back on the market - they came back and put and offer in for the house. An offer that even the agent said was a joke offer. Oddly we turned it down and off they disappeared into the sunset.

The house we were buying is now back on the market and we have more viewings on ours this week.

Completely now in the "what will be will be" position - too much stress to think about it any other way

Good luck with the viewings of your house. I hope things work out well for you.
We’ve moved twice since buying our first house in 1977, and luckily sold each house in a matter of days and had offers accepted without any delays. Bear in mind we moved into our current house in 1986 and things were very different in those days. Think yourself lucky not having to deal with 17% mortgage rates. 🫣

Muteswan said:
Good luck with the viewings of your house. I hope things work out well for you.
We’ve moved twice since buying our first house in 1977, and luckily sold each house in a matter of days and had offers accepted without any delays. Bear in mind we moved into our current house in 1986 and things were very different in those days. Think yourself lucky not having to deal with 17% mortgage rates. 🫣

This much is very true - its all a bit strange when you think now about the moans about rates hitting 5/6%!

If it helps Phil, we have moved 6 times since 2012. One buyer took so long with conveyancing he had to reapply for his mortgage twice. The stress gets so much worse in a chain.

The most stressful things in life are:-

1. Death of a loved one
2. Divorce
3. Moving house
4. The Swans one up with 10 minutes to go

And so as the year comes to an end the light at the end of the tunnel shines bright and yesterday evening -just after all the solicitors closed for their Christmas and New Year break - we agreed the sale of ours and the continuation of the one that we were buying.

Still all the paperwork to do and until those contracts are safely exchanged anything could yet go wrong but everything happens for a reason and it does appear that at least now it was meant to be!

PSumbler said:
And so as the year comes to an end the light at the end of the tunnel shines bright and yesterday evening -just after all the solicitors closed for their Christmas and New Year break - we agreed the sale of ours and the continuation of the one that we were buying.

Still all the paperwork to do and until those contracts are safely exchanged anything could yet go wrong but everything happens for a reason and it does appear that at least now it was meant to be!

Christmas present a few days early then.

PSumbler said:

Good news, hope all goes well this time. 👍

Pentyrchjack said:
Presumably the energy cost of running a home is much lower there because of the warm climate most of year, except for the cost of heating the pool?

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I've only just noticed it.
Yes, less house heating is required because of the climate. And energy costs less. We use electric for everything, backed up by a log burner in the lounge. We have a three bedroom villa with pool, our leccy bills have been fairly steady at around 75€ a month for the past year. That includes domestic hot water, airco, pool pump and all the usual appliances. A load of logs, 175€, lasts the whole winter.
Our council tax including rubbish collection is about 380€ a year. Water about 360€ for the year. Insurances including car are much the same as the UK, road tax is 79€ pa for a modern Skoda Octavia diesel. The government have been subsidising fuel at 20 cents/litre, now reduced to 15c, for a year. This week, after subsidy, I filled up with diesel for 1.40€/litre, about £1.25. Food is cheaper here, especially fruit and veg, booze is very cheap, eating out is cheap.
In summary, it's a lot cheaper to live here and the quality if life is so much better, because they haven't had to put up with pointless Tory austerity for 12 years. Income tax is a little higher than the UK but not much, and I'm glad to pay it. The health service here (free to access as a UK pensioner) is outstanding. As is the fire service, the ambulance service, the police service. There are council employees regularly out sweeping the local roads, trimming the verges, keeping the drains clear. We have attended free language lessons provided by the local council for four years.

On the subject of property sales, the system here is that if you make an offer on a house which is accepted, you move pretty quickly to a contracted deposit which you pay to the seller, typically 5 or 6,000€. If you drop out for any reason you forfeit the deposit. If the seller drops out for any reason, they are legally obligated to pay you TWICE the deposit. Stops a lot of feckin' around.

Moving day Thursday - contracts finally exchanged, much stuff in boxes - away we go 🤣

PSumbler said:
Moving day Thursday - contracts finally exchanged, much stuff in boxes - away we go 🤣

Where you moving to ?

I've done a few jobs near to where I think you are now, but I'm probably wrong :D

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back