• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Pink Floyd

WxmJax said:
I was at Pompeii a few weeks ago and the number of old blokes walking around wearing Dark Side Of The Moon t -shirts was weird (and a bit sad).

You are aware that Pink Floyd did a live performance of 'Echoes' from the Meddle album in the Pompeii colosseum, without audience, in the early 70s, which was filmed and is available on U Tube?
One of the most amazing prog rock performances you will ever see. Check it out.

Pegojack said:
You are aware that Pink Floyd did a live performance of 'Echoes' from the Meddle album in the Pompeii colosseum, without audience, in the early 70s, which was filmed and is available on U Tube?
One of the most amazing prog rock performances you will ever see. Check it out.

So that's what all those Pink Floyd posters underneath the amphitheatre saying that they'd played there in 1972 was all about. Good job they were there or I'd never have known 😜

I just can't imagine someone saying "I'll take my old Pink Floyd t-shirt on holiday just in case we go to Pompeii". It's not as if they even went to the show. Although I did wonder beforehand if I'd see anyone wearing one.

Dave Gilmour was there again in July in an amazing open theatre. That would have been good to see. Been drinking Aldi Zinfandel so you could say that I'm comfortably numb.

Darran said:
A lot of great bands are influenced by The Beatles.

IMG_1555.jpeg

You're getting The Beatles and The Tweenies mixed up again 😜

legoman said:
I think The Beatles certainly broke new ground as nothing of their ilk had been produced before. I believe that allowed others the room to write and perform stuff that was new and different.

So whether I like the Beatles or not is irrelevant to that argument. As it happens I thought early Beatles stuff was excellent but I'm not quite old enough to think that everything they did was top notch.

Fair comments Lego. The distinction is between "influenced by" in the musical sense and "inspired by" in the creativity sense and significantly, the headline of that article does actually say "inspired". There is no doubt that the global success and social phenomenon of the Beatles inspired a whole generation of musicians and young hopefuls and helped to make popular music acceptable in social and cultural areas where it previously hadn't.

karnataka said:
I'm far from convinced early Pink Floyd were influenced by The Beatles. PF were formed in 1965 and it wasn't really until mid-late '67 that the Beatles started to produce their ground breaking stuff like Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Strawberry Fields etc by which Time, Pink Floyd had already recorded Piper at the Gates of Dawn so couldn't have been influenced by the Beatles' most influential stuff. There were signs of a slightly more experimental approach on Revolver in 1966 but much of that was prompted by George Martin rather than The Beatles themselves but up until then, IMO their albums were collections of decent songs, albeit including some classic pop songs. (BTW, not a lot of people know that they didn't write 'Twist and Shout'.) The Who released 'My Generation' in October '65 and I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that was influenced by the Beatles' output up to that point such as it was.

TBF, you did say that "most people of that era that came after The Beatles were influenced by The Beatles" but I don't think artists like Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix came after The Beatles, IMO they evolved independently, alongside The Beatles and probably would have done even if The Beatles hadn't existed or just hadn't been quite so successful.

I have some sympathy with this and Barrett’s style was very much idiosyncratic.

The Beatles pushed the boundaries in a number of different areas.

I think the big difference between the Beatles and the rest was the volume. They just made phenomenal record after phenomenal record. Where as many of the others had great tracks and some good albums.

They also pushed boundaries in more areas. There wasn’t really a style they didn’t pull off.

I mean Helter Skelter is a great example. That is like a heavy metal track before it became a thing. Black Sabbath were huge fans of the Beatles.

That late 60s period is crazy though when you think of the talent that was around then. A lot of that stemmed from a completely different era though. Completely different world now.

Darran said:
Could a moderator kindly delete the highly amusing above post aimed at me please?

I've kindly corrected that for you, no need to thank me ! :lol:

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back