• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Pink Floyd

Swanjaxs said:
Mate of mine going to see the Australian Pink Floyd at Swansea Arena next Friday, they meant to be good.

I’ve seen them, they’re not very good.
They are absolutely superb!

I was at Pompeii a few weeks ago and the number of old blokes walking around wearing Dark Side Of The Moon t -shirts was weird (and a bit sad).

Niigata Jack said:
:shock: you need to start again, it might improve your mood :lol:

I’ll drop some off for you, see if they work for
you 🤣🙈🤣🙈🤣

exiledclaseboy said:
Exactly. When people say “that song/band/album/film/tv show/anything is crap” what they actually mean is they don’t like it. Which is fine obviously.

Yes, lesson learned, I say crap without thinking, but it is a pretty confrontational remark, towards the people who genuinely like it, only on the internet like, I would imagine in real life standing in a shopping queue at Asda, and someone said they liked Floyd, and I said 'no they are pile of crap', the conversation would go slightly different, to the way it went here. Hmm would I say they are crap, or not my cup of tea? I suppose my answer would be dependant on the size of the person saying they liked Floyd. :)

monmouth said:
Animals was the one for me.

They can be depressing though. 123 is right there.

I have all the Floyd albums from More through to The Wall amongst the 4000 or so tracks I have on permanent rotation in my car and in my kitchen and over the last decade or so, I have come to realise that Animals is definitely my favourite Floyd album.

Darran said:
That’s plain daft Paul there might not have been a Floyd without the influence of The Beatles.

? You might have to explain that one to me one day Darran, it sounds to me a bit like saying there might not have been any birds if it wasn't for fish! :lol:

karnataka said:
? You might have to explain that one to me one day Darran, it sounds to me a bit like saying there might not have been any birds if it wasn't for fish! :lol:

I think most people of that eta that came after The Beatles were influenced by The Beatles.

Darran said:
I think most people of that era that came after The Beatles were influenced by The Beatles.

I'm far from convinced early Pink Floyd were influenced by The Beatles. PF were formed in 1965 and it wasn't really until mid-late '67 that the Beatles started to produce their ground breaking stuff like Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Strawberry Fields etc by which Time, Pink Floyd had already recorded Piper at the Gates of Dawn so couldn't have been influenced by the Beatles' most influential stuff. There were signs of a slightly more experimental approach on Revolver in 1966 but much of that was prompted by George Martin rather than The Beatles themselves but up until then, IMO their albums were collections of decent songs, albeit including some classic pop songs. (BTW, not a lot of people know that they didn't write 'Twist and Shout'.) The Who released 'My Generation' in October '65 and I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that was influenced by the Beatles' output up to that point such as it was.

TBF, you did say that "most people of that era that came after The Beatles were influenced by The Beatles" but I don't think artists like Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix came after The Beatles, IMO they evolved independently, alongside The Beatles and probably would have done even if The Beatles hadn't existed or just hadn't been quite so successful.

karnataka said:
I'm far from convinced early Pink Floyd were influenced by The Beatles. PF were formed in 1965 and it wasn't really until mid-late '67 that the Beatles started to produce their ground breaking stuff like Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Strawberry Fields etc by which Time, Pink Floyd had already recorded Piper at the Gates of Dawn so couldn't have been influenced by the Beatles' most influential stuff. There were signs of a slightly more experimental approach on Revolver in 1966 but much of that was prompted by George Martin rather than The Beatles themselves but up until then, IMO their albums were collections of decent songs, albeit including some classic pop songs. (BTW, not a lot of people know that they didn't write 'Twist and Shout'.) The Who released 'My Generation' in October '65 and I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that was influenced by the Beatles' output up to that point such as it was.

TBF, you did say that "most people of that era that came after The Beatles were influenced by The Beatles" but I don't think artists like Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix came after The Beatles, IMO they evolved independently, alongside The Beatles and probably would have done even if The Beatles hadn't existed or just hadn't been quite so successful.

You make some very valid and interesting points there D.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/godlike-beatles-influenced-pink-floyd-debut-album/

WxmJax said:
I was at Pompeii a few weeks ago and the number of old blokes walking around wearing Dark Side Of The Moon t -shirts was weird (and a bit sad).

There's an old bloke on here that goes around looking like a wannabe ancient rockstar groupie, who wears all sorts of Cheap Trick gear, with a head full of grey hair half way down his back and facial hair to match down to his bollox, he's well weird very old, now that is proper sad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darran said:
You make some very valid and interesting points there D.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/godlike-beatles-influenced-pink-floyd-debut-album/

I think The Beatles certainly broke new ground as nothing of their ilk had been produced before. I believe that allowed others the room to write and perform stuff that was new and different.

So whether I like the Beatles or not is irrelevant to that argument. As it happens I thought early Beatles stuff was excellent but I'm not quite old enough to think that everything they did was top notch.

Niigata Jack said:
There's an old bloke on here that goes around looking like a wannabe ancient rockstar groupie, who wears all sorts of Cheap Trick gear, with a head full of grey hair half way down his back and facial hair to match down to his bollox, he's well weird very old, now that is proper sad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could a moderator kindly delete the highly abusive above post aimed at me please?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back