• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The summer of test cricket - Ashes 2023

Furthermore you have a 'lunch' break now for something that hasn't even started, any player would have eaten in the last 1 hour 40 mins if they had wanted to do so!

Certain things have to move on.

Swanjaxs said:
plus there is already 3 ODI's and 3 T20's coming up after this test series! Lovely jubbley 🫡💪💥

No there isn’t. Not against Australia anyway. :lol:

JustJack said:
Furthermore you have a 'lunch' break now for something that hasn't even started, any player would have eaten in the last 1 hour 40 mins if they had wanted to do so!

Certain things have to move on.

Yep. Equally they knew this weather was 99% likely to happen this weekend. So why not allow longer days play when the weather was better at the start of the Test when they knew they'd lose large chunks or all of Days 4 and 5?

I don't want to harp on it, as England have benefitted from bad weather in the past. However, Test cricket is for me the best form of the sport and they're not helping themselves by refusing to adapt in sensible ways.

Imagine if you were Australia on Friday evening, 110-4, still 160 behind and the umps say “lads it’s gonna piss down for the next couple of days so we’re going to play on tonight till it’s too dark”. I know what I’d say. :x :lol:

That'll be 4-0 to the Engurland then, as Wazball always wins, even when it loses the ashes.

exiledclaseboy said:
Imagine if you were Australia on Friday evening, 110-4, still 160 behind and the umps say “lads it’s gonna piss down for the next couple of days so we’re going to play on tonight till it’s too dark”. I know what I’d say. :x :lol:

Agreed, which is partly why I'm not trying not to whinge about it in this instance particularly. There's been plenty of occasions that it's been England players and fans praying for rain to prevent a defeat.

It's something that would have to be looked at and decided before the start of play on Day 1 of any Test. Then there's no way of knowing who it would benefit.

JackSomething said:
Agreed, which is partly why I'm not trying not to whinge about it in this instance particularly. There's been plenty of occasions that it's been England players and fans praying for rain to prevent a defeat.

It's something that would have to be looked at and decided before the start of play on Day 1 of any Test. Then there's no way of knowing who it would benefit.

Ok, it’s 10,30am on Wednesday. Umps say “look lads, it’s gonna piss down at the weekend so we’re playing an extra hour each day for the first three days to try and get a result”.

Pat Cummins, Aussie captain, 2-1 up needing only a draw to retain the ashes with all the momentum with England after Leeds. Again, I know what I’d say. :lol:

exiledclaseboy said:
Ok, it’s 10,30am on Wednesday. Umps say “look lads, it’s gonna piss down at the weekend so we’re playing an extra hour each day for the first three days to try and get a result”.

Pat Cummins, Aussie captain, 2-1 up needing only a draw to retain the ashes with all the momentum with England after Leeds. Again, I know what I’d say. :lol:

'Ok fair dinkum Sheila, we play fair, especially Dave and Steve, bring it on?'

What they could do of course is have a sixth day scheduled in reserve to make up any time lost to weather. This has been in place for the last two WTC finals and was used in 2021 when NZ wrapped up a win over India on day six.

exiledclaseboy said:
What they could do of course is have a sixth day scheduled in reserve to make up any time lost to weather. This has been in place for the last two WTC finals and was used in 2021 when NZ wrapped up a win over India on day six.

What would happen then if there was no winner on Day 5, after 5 perfect days of weather?

JustJack said:
What would happen then if there was no winner on Day 5, after 5 perfect days of weather?

It’s a draw. The sixth day is purely to make up any time lost to the weather.

exiledclaseboy said:
It’s a draw. The sixth day is purely to make up any time lost to the weather.

So if it rained for 30 minutes on Day 1, then they'll get it back on Day 6?

I'm quibbling but its frought with difficulty isn't it? Surely you have to play the full day out until the end.

JustJack said:
So if it rained for 30 minutes on Day 1, then they'll get it back on Day 6?

I'm quibbling but its frought with difficulty isn't it? Surely you have to play the full day out until the end.

Well 30 minutes would usually be made up at the end of the day in question, but it’s not about time as such, it’s lost overs. There are 450 overs in a test match (in theory anyway, slow over rates usually make it fewer than that). If you lost say 60 of those either through one or multiple weather breaks over the five days you could make them up on day six. The maximum you could make upon day six would be 90 overs of course. It’s not difficult at all.

exiledclaseboy said:
No there isn’t. Not against Australia anyway. :lol:

My bad for assuming there would be a white ball series after the Tests 😒
Suppose you can thank the crap 100 for that! Heard this could be the last one too, a revamp for next season by all accounts...

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back