• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Winter fuel allowance could be removed for most pensioners to pay for triple lock

TheLoneRanger

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
"Rishi Sunak is considering removing the winter fuel allowance from all but the poorest pensioners as a way of clawing back some taxpayer funds from the elderly as he prepares to fight the next election on a pledge to keep the pension triple lock despite its spiralling costs."

https://news.sky.com/story/winter-fuel-allowance-could-be-removed-for-most-pensioners-to-pay-for-triple-lock-12972246

TheLoneRanger said:
"Rishi Sunak is considering removing the winter fuel allowance from all but the poorest pensioners as a way of clawing back some taxpayer funds from the elderly as he prepares to fight the next election on a pledge to keep the pension triple lock despite its spiralling costs.

https://news.sky.com/story/winter-fuel-allowance-could-be-removed-for-most-pensioners-to-pay-for-triple-lock-12972246

TheLoneRanger said:
"Rishi Sunak is considering removing the winter fuel allowance from all but the poorest pensioners as a way of clawing back some taxpayer funds from the elderly as he prepares to fight the next election on a pledge to keep the pension triple lock despite its spiralling costs."

The pm wants to cut tax in the run up to the election” what an odius repugnant cvnt!

I have to say though, I always thought that the winter fuel allowance should have been means tested. When my mother went into a care home (where she spent the last 3 years of her life) she continued to get the allowance. I contacted the DWP the first time she got it after she moved in as I assumed it must have been an error - they knew she had moved into care. I was told it was correct yet clearly mum was not having to pay increased energy bills through the winter in the home. Just didn't seem right to me.

legoman said:
I have to say though, I always thought that the winter fuel allowance should have been means tested. When my mother went into a care home (where she spent the last 3 years of her life) she continued to get the allowance. I contacted the DWP the first time she got it after she moved in as I assumed it must have been an error - they knew she had moved into care. I was told it was correct yet clearly mum was not having to pay increased energy bills through the winter in the home. Just didn't seem right to me.
I agree in part there LG, my only concern is what the cut off point will be, it's usually folk right in the middle,put at a disadvantage, by being just able to afford their Bill's. Sunaks plan as per usually just
is just taking from one hand and giving with the other. I wonder what it means in real terms. Any one crunched any numbers.

Triple lock shouldn’t be in place.

Those on Pension credit should get up rates but that’s it. Way too loaded towards pensioners.

I agree with means testing as well.

However no mainstream party would consider questioning that policy because of grey vote.

rockinj said:

Those on Pension credit should get up rates but that’s it. Way too loaded towards pensioners.

However no mainstream party would consider questioning that policy because of grey vote.

I agree with almost all of this. The problem with means testing is and has always been that it disadvantages those who need help most and often struggle with a lack of support amd filling in forms etc. means testing is great in theory, like a lot of things. In practice it doesn’t always work out well for many.

rockinj said:

"Way too loaded towards pensioners." Disgusting comments from you as usual!

Yeah people who have worked all their lives, shouldn't benefit from all their paid up contributions to society and should live hand to mouth is it and let the Tories have yet more money to waste, typical comment from a tory voter.
Has Sunak replaced Boris's photo on your wall?

No Government in history has raised more taxes than this Government, they had to, to make up the massive shortfall from the trillions that they have wasted.

Niigata Jack said:
"Way too loaded towards pensioners." Disgusting comments from you as usual!

Yeah people who have worked all their lives, shouldn't benefit from all their paid up contributions to society and should live hand to mouth is it and let the Tories have yet more money to waste, typical comment from a tory voter.
Has Sunak replaced Boris's photo on your wall?

No Government in history has raised more taxes than this Government, they had to, to make up the massive shortfall from the trillions that they have wasted.

Disgusting comments haha

It’s literally a Tory policy but let’s ignore that element.

I happen to believe there are lots and lots of very affluent pensioners who are getting up rates they simply don’t need and this money would be better transferred to helping those most in need.

If it had been a “double lock” for a few years this would have raised billions, this could have pumped money into services that old people need and more especially poorer pensioners.

exiledclaseboy said:
I agree with almost all of this. The problem with means testing is and has always been that it disadvantages those who need help most and often struggle with a lack of support amd filling in forms etc. means testing is great in theory, like a lot of things. In practice it doesn’t always work out well for many.

I do get that argument but it that’s a problem of administration than the objective which to me makes sense.

rockinj said:
I do get that argument but it that’s a problem of administration than the objective which to me makes sense.

Yes, the principle is fine if there’s a way of administering it that doesn’t disadvantage those most in need.

I get the winter fuel allowance and I don’t need it. The first year I got it was last year and I gave it straight to our daughter who’s bringing up two children on her own on a teacher’s salary and is struggling financially.

It wouldn’t be that difficult to target those on pension credit with the winter fuel allowance.

J_B said:
I get the winter fuel allowance and I don’t need it. The first year I got it was last year and I gave it straight to our daughter who’s bringing up two children on her own on a teacher’s salary and is struggling financially.

It wouldn’t be that difficult to target those on pension credit with the winter fuel allowance.

Thank you. This is precisely what I’m getting at.

rockinj said:
Disgusting comments haha

It’s literally a Tory policy but let’s ignore that element.

I happen to believe there are lots and lots of very affluent pensioners who are getting up rates they simply don’t need and this money would be better transferred to helping those most in need.

If it had been a “double lock” for a few years this would have raised billions, this could have pumped money into services that old people need and more especially poorer pensioners.

Old people be fucked, everyone gets old, if they are lucky you looking forward to being Old?

A tory policy, yeah rightio, a Tory government that has wasted trillions over the last ten years or more on policy failure after failures

You can believe what you like, but not all pensioners, have had decent businesses, well paid job's with very good retirement plans, I see it everyday in my working week, pensioners afraid to run their boilers for fear of not being able to pay the next bill, or those who don't have the money to top their pre-payment meters up, you wouldn't see it in the tory circles that you probably move in.

"If it had been a “double lock” for a few years this would have raised billions, this could have pumped money into services that old people need and more especially poorer pensioners."

You're an expert then?

You can butter it up all you like, but its about time people who have worked all their lives receive the benefits they deserve, not all can or could afford to have private pensions, or have worked in an environment that enables them to receive final salary pensions.

Millions have worked in hard physically demanding jobs and are suffering from ill health, arthritic joints etc they haven't all sat behind a desk looking out of the window of their offices and drinking coffee all day, their stress levels must be off the scale bless them :roll: yet most can look forward to a decent pension if not a final salary one and yes they still exist.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back