• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Womens European Championships

I can't stand England winning no matter the sport or gender. Just so much hype for months afterwards. Only us the Scots and the Irish can relate to how tiresome it is.

Great to see the women's game getting stronger, but could do without the months of England love in that's to come.

I don't mind who wins out of ENG and GER. Woud have preferred SWE or NED. World Cup next. Congratz to ENG. Bit of a no frills style which suits the athletes available to the coach.

I’d swap that England manager for Russ any day. Constantly found solutions during games throughout the tournament. Very impressive lady.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62375750

Peak of 17 million.

Incredible.

Fantastic stuff. Will give the women's sport such a boost, and will inspire young girls in Wales just as much as England. Far too few girls take up sport, or are supported in doing so. In fact I'd say they are actively discouraged and put down, always by men trying to keep control. It was ever thus, which is why women's football started so many years behind.

Netball took off after the commonwealth games win in 2018 and hopefully those girls will come up trumps again this year. It would be lovely to see the cricketers humping the Oz one day too.

This is all good in substance, no matter the rather sad way they will be used by politicians and jingoinstic flag shaggers.

On a side note, it will make it sweeter when the ever more overhyped mens team crash and burn again as this simply heaps more pressure on them.

monmouth said:
Fantastic stuff. Will give the women's sport such a boost, and will inspire young girls in Wales just as much as England. Far too few girls take up sport, or are supported in doing so. In fact I'd say they are actively discouraged and put down, always by men trying to keep control. It was ever thus, which is why women's football started so many years behind.

Netball took off after the commonwealth games win in 2018 and hopefully those girls will come up trumps again this year. It would be lovely to see the cricketers humping the Oz one day too.

This is all good in substance, no matter the rather sad way they will be used by politicians and jingoinstic flag shaggers.

On a side note, it will make it sweeter when the ever more overhyped mens team crash and burn again as this simply heaps more pressure on them.

Great post.

Along with many here, I normally want England to lose at absolutely everything. But in this case, the benefit for women’s sports outweighs the rivalry for me. Incidentally, the audience both in the stadium and in the seems to suggest that it’s far from the ‘niche’ attraction some would have us believe. Over 17 m is a phenomenal TV audience for any sport in this country, whether men or women.

The men have been bringing football home for decades.

In the end the women went and got it for them.

Londonlisa2001 said:
monmouth said:

Great post.

Along with many here, I normally want England to lose at absolutely everything. But in this case, the benefit for women’s sports outweighs the rivalry for me. Incidentally, the audience both in the stadium and in the seems to suggest that it’s far from the ‘niche’ attraction some would have us believe. Over 17 m is a phenomenal TV audience for any sport in this country, whether men or women.

Wasn't it a record stadium attendance for a Euro's final as well, men or women?

Add that to Barcelona women getting over 90k in the Nou Camp for 2 CL ties this year, what an incredible year for the sport.

It’s worth a mention that the two lead commentators for this tournament, Robyn Cowens on BBC TV and Vickie Sparkes on radio 5 Live, were both also excellent. Expect to see/hear a lot more of both of them from here on in.

exiledclaseboy said:
It’s worth a mention that the two lead commentators for this tournament, Robyn Cowens on BBC TV and Vickie Sparkes on radio 5 Live, were both also excellent. Expect to see/hear a lot more of both of them from here on in.

They were. I found the co commentator last night a bit irritating, as she was too biased with decisions. I find that irritating in all football. I can’t listen to Wyndham bless him.

Btw - as in many things, Ian Wright was a class act.

https://twitter.com/gunkle2/status/1554147086861537286?s=21&t=ycvzgKs0-tzMIpo8PIhV_Q

Heard that Wales ladies have sold 5.5k tickets for their next match so hopefully the England success will lift the Welsh team too

VoodooQueen said:
Heard that Wales ladies have sold 5.5k tickets for their next match so hopefully the England success will lift the Welsh team too

They've broken their own sales ecord and are aiming for 10k

I would have preferred to see them sell out Parc Y Scarlets but it is what it is, its likely to be a winner takes all clash.

They have to do a job away in Greece first.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back