• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Benda to miss start of next season

Chief said:
Is he realistically going to be signed by anyone when he won't play for months? Would he pass a medical?

Yep, I’m pretty sure he will go.

DuffleCoat said:
Yep, I’m pretty sure he will go.

This is worrying. Have we even tried to get him to renew? Our squad is threadbare without losing more depth.

So much for learning lessons and moving on from the unsustainable loan model.

Chief said:
This is worrying. Have we even tried to get him to renew? Our squad is threadbare without losing more depth.

So much for learning lessons and moving on from the unsustainable loan model.

I don’t think he wants to be a sub keeper, can’t blame him.

I’d be more than happy going into next season with Rushworth and Fisher on the bench.

DuffleCoat said:
I don’t think he wants to be a sub keeper, can’t blame him.

I’d be more than happy going into next season with Rushworth and Fisher on the bench.

Well Benda shouldn't be second choice to Fisher or to a loan.

But then Rushworth goes and we're stuck with just Fisher.

Benda is injured, he’s not any number choice.

Currently we have Fisher and will have Rushworth (who is top class).

Pointless keeping Benda for the off chance that Rushworth gets injured towards the end of the season and forego what we could get for him now.

The chances of that scenario happening (and then Benda actually being able to help with such little game time), is slim.

DuffleCoat said:
Benda is injured, he’s not any number choice.

Currently we have Fisher and will have Rushworth (who is top class).

Pointless keeping Benda for the off chance that Rushworth gets injured towards the end of the season and forego what we could get for him now.

The chances of that scenario happening (and then Benda actually being able to help with such little game time), is slim.

What I'm saying is that should we be signing a loan keeper to be our number 1? I don't mind signing a keeper until January to cover Benda by which time he should be fit.

But signing this keeper on loan and selling one of most promising players when we're already short seems very short sighted in my opinion.

Disappointing if this happens.

I don’t see why not.

Someone of the calibre of Rushworth doesn’t come along that often. It gives us 12 months to look for a longer term replacement.

It’s possible he comes back to us next season too, which is then no different to signing someone on a 2 year contract.

Not to mention if we go up, we may be able to then be in a position (probably the driving seat) to make it permanent.

Benda is decent, but we can do better.

DuffleCoat said:
I don’t see why not.

Someone of the calibre of Rushworth doesn’t come along that often. It gives us 12 months to look for a longer term replacement.

It’s possible he comes back to us next season too, which is then no different to signing someone on a 2 year contract.

I doubt we can do better on a permanent signing unless we're willing to spend big money.

Going back to developing someone else's players and neglecting our own.

Really disagree with you DCoat. Football is a business for sure but you‘re writing off a perfectly good keeper on the basis of what? That he’s a liability because he’s injured and there’s someone else available ? Swans should be better than that.

Well, Rushworth is better for a start. They have just signed Bart Verbruggen which knocks him further down the pecking order.

I think there is a fair chance we can sign him permanently if he likes it down here and nobody from the Prem comes in.

Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me; and I’m sure it’s not a decision we will make.

https://planetswans.co.uk/2023/07/26/could-brighton-keeper-loan-mean-the-end-for-steven-benda/

DuffleCoat said:
I don’t see why not.

Not to mention if we go up, we may be able to then be in a position (probably the driving seat) to make it permanent.

You are Rushworth‘s agent and I claim my £ 10. 😂

DuffleCoat said:
Well, Rushworth is better for a start. They have just signed Bart Verbruggen which knocks him further down the pecking order.

I think there is a fair chance we can sign him permanently if he likes it down here and nobody from the Prem comes in.

Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me; and I’m sure it’s not a decision we will make.

If he's as good as you say he is he'll either be going back to Brighton or elsewhere after his spell with us.

Longlostjack said:
Really disagree with you DCoat. Football is a business for sure but you‘re writing off a perfectly good keeper on the basis of what? That he’s a liability because he’s injured and there’s someone else available ? Swans should be better than that.

I’m not writing anyone off, certainly didn’t call him a liability.

I said he’s a decent keeper but we can do better, I don’t think he’s any better than a sub keeper at our level (a team with EPL ambitions).

He’s in the last year of his contract (injured for half of it) and wants guaranteed first team football.

Everything about the above says move him on if we get a decent fee. Especially when we have a player of Rushworth’s calibre coming in.

I don’t think people realise just how good this guy is.

Borini coming in on loan was the difference between championship football and EPL football back in the day. I didn’t see many wanting to send him back and instead play Scott Donnolly.

Same can be said for DeGuzman and what his loans meant to us, not to mention Gylfi.

There is every chance Rushworth can end up coming to us full time and if not, then impart his quality on this side to make a real difference.

Chief said:
If he's as good as you say he is he'll either be going back to Brighton or elsewhere after his spell with us.

Who else would he go to though? Keepers in his stage of career want to play. He won’t get minutes at Brighton, they are stacked.

So then you look at other EPL teams, who is after a first team keeper? Not many choose youngsters like Rushworth.

We have plenty of examples of players we have signed on loan who have succeeded to the point we have either signed them back on loan or taken them permanently.

What’s the point in the loan system if it isn’t used? We have built our success on the loan system right back to Leon Britton and Alan Tate in League 2.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back