• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Benda to miss start of next season

DuffleCoat said:
Well, Rushworth is better for a start. They have just signed Bart Verbruggen which knocks him further down the pecking order.

I think there is a fair chance we can sign him permanently if he likes it down here and nobody from the Prem comes in.

Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me; and I’m sure it’s not a decision we will make.

„ Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me“

It‘s what decent teams do. Win win for player and team. The devil is always in the detail of the contract. How long have you been supporting the Swans DCoat ? As Coleman said we we all need to stick together.

Longlostjack said:
„ Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me“

It‘s what decent teams do. Win win for player and team. The devil is always in the detail of the contract. How long have you been supporting the Swans DCoat ? As Coleman said we we all need to stick together.

Good teams hang on to average players in the last year of their contract? It’s always been an annoyance of mine and I don’t think it’s good practice at all.

Sticking together doesn’t mean allowing everyone to run their contract down. It means everyone coming together to do what makes sense for the club.

In this case what makes sense is Benda is moved on for the good of his career and for the financial sense of our club.

DuffleCoat said:
Well, Rushworth is better for a start. They have just signed Bart Verbruggen which knocks him further down the pecking order.

I think there is a fair chance we can sign him permanently if he likes it down here and nobody from the Prem comes in.

Hanging on to an averagely decent injured keeper in the last year of his contract who wants first team football seems an odd one to me; and I’m sure it’s not a decision we will make.

He’s not played above League 1. I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment, can’t you tell us about what you’ve seen in him whe; you’ve watched him play ?

Rushworth is valued at about £1m by Transfermkt, I can’t see anyway the Swans will shell that kind of cash out. If he comes here and has a stormer, his value is going 1 way and the Swans will be priced out.

DuffleCoat said:
Good teams hang on to average players in the last year of their contract? It’s always been an annoyance of mine and I don’t think it’s good practice at all.

Sticking together doesn’t mean allowing everyone to run their contract down. It means everyone coming together to do what makes sense for the club.

In this case what makes sense is Benda is moved on for the good of his career and for the financial sense of our club.

What are you talking about- running a contract down? That’s not the case here. An injured player and the club should - to use US management bullshit „ reach out“. Your use of the word average too - bizarre and frankly arrogant. Again- how long have you followed the Swans? You come across as a spreadsheet expert.

DuffleCoat said:
Who else would he go to though? Keepers in his stage of career want to play. He won’t get minutes at Brighton, they are stacked.

So then you look at other EPL teams, who is after a first team keeper? Not many choose youngsters like Rushworth.

We have plenty of examples of players we have signed on loan who have succeeded to the point we have either signed them back on loan or taken them permanently.

What’s the point in the loan system if it isn’t used? We have built our success on the loan system right back to Leon Britton and Alan Tate in League 2.

Well if he's going to be here a season he'll have a championship season under his belt. So he might not have a permanent takers now but then who knows maybe a bigger fish will sign Brightons number 1 or a promoted team signs him on loan for next season. If he's as good as you say he is.

Have many stayed recently? Our position now can't be compared to when we signed Tom Carroll or DeGuzman when we were an established prem team.

And it's completely different to our desperation facing relegation to non league when playing the players we had would have seen us disappear into oblivion. Non comparable.

I'm open to loans too, when used properly. Don't think this situation is that when we are short in other areas.

MajorR said:
He’s not played above League 1. I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment, can’t you tell us about what you’ve seen in him whe; you’ve watched him play ?

I know a lot of people in the football world who rave about him.

At Walsall he was voted players player of the year, at Lincoln he has a 77.6% save percentage, top 3 outside of the EPL.

He was also deemed good enough to be part of the quality England U21 squad who won the Euros.

Excellent with his feet and solid with the gloves. Will be our best keeper since Fabianski.

Longlostjack said:
What are you talking about- running a contract down? That’s not the case here. An injured player and the club should - to use US management bullshit „ reach out“. Your use of the word average too - bizarre and frankly arrogant. Again- how long have you followed the Swans? You come across as a spreadsheet expert.

I’m talking about a player who wants first team football, something we have never been able to guarantee him… having less than 12 months left on his contract who is injured for half of it.

There is nothing arrogant about stating facts, no manager we have had has deemed him an automatic starter. He’s played 27 times in 4 years.

I’ve followed Swansea for decades, don’t know what difference that makes to Benda and the financial sense to sell him.

DuffleCoat said:
I’m talking about a player who wants first team football, something we have never been able to guarantee him… having less than 12 months left on his contract who is injured for half of it.

There is nothing arrogant about stating facts, no manager we have had has deemed him an automatic starter. He’s played 27 times in 4 years.

I’ve followed Swansea for decades, don’t know what difference that makes to Benda and the financial sense to sell him.

I call bullshit.

Chief said:
Well if he's going to be here a season he'll have a championship season under his belt. So he might not have a permanent takers now but then who knows maybe a bigger fish will sign Brightons number 1 or a promoted team signs him on loan for next season. If he's as good as you say he is.

Have many stayed recently? Our position now can't be compared to when we signed Tom Carroll or DeGuzman when we were an established prem team.

And it's completely different to our desperation facing relegation to non league when playing the players we had would have seen us disappear into oblivion. Non comparable.

I'm open to loans too, when used properly. Don't think this situation is that when we are short in other areas.

Maybe he will, maybe he won’t.

If we took that attitude then we wouldn’t have signed the many wonderful loan players we have done throughout our history to get us to where we are now and where we have enjoyed being for the last 15 years.

Guehi signed on for a second season after an initial 6 month loan, he could have decided against it. How many have done it doesn’t matter, it’s the potential that it will again is what is important.

If he enjoys it and still behind all the top class keepers at Brighton then I don’t see why it wouldn’t extend beyond 12 months.

I’ve given many examples at all levels, including the one we face now (Championship hoping to go up) - where we signed Borini on loan and had a fair sniff of keeping him too.

This is no different. Don’t know what the fuss is about. A cracking keeper on loan for at least a season, yes please.

A traffic cone is more reliable than Fisher.. loan or permanent, get one in

DuffleCoat said:

His lack of game time though is probably more of a result of a number of factors and not an indictment on him.

1 he was probably considered too young when we first came down&had 2 much more experienced keepers on the books (that no one else was realistically going to take off our hands and had to persist with).

2 the Cooper built on sand loan philosophy which backfired on the club.

3 the Martin Fisher experiment which again didn't work. Martin did see sense eventually.

Benda has had loan spells during this time though so not like he's been twiddling his thumbs.

Longlostjack said:
Let’s start with Swansea and decades and work backwards. Nos da mwsh.

Sure, well I was just referring to the loans of Alan Tate and Leon Britton, 21 years ago.

Let me know which one is next.

Chief said:
His lack of game time though is probably more of a result of a number of factors and not an indictment on him.

1 he was probably considered too young when we first came down&had 2 much more experienced keepers on the books (that no one else was realistically going to take off our hands and had to persist with).

2 the Cooper built on sand loan philosophy which backfired on the club.

3 the Martin Fisher experiment which again didn't work. Martin did see sense eventually.

Benda has had loan spells during this time though so not like he's been twiddling his thumbs.

Meaning all the managers chose other keepers when they had Benda there, seeing him every day in training.

He’s decent, but let’s not pretend he’s some kind of Championship keeping God. I’ll be surprised if he leaves for a first team spot at this level or higher.

He will either have to go to Germany or settle for a back up (or third choice) spot for a better team, maybe lower EPL, and get more cash.

He’s been decent when called upon, but by no means someone I’d be fighting tooth and nail to keep and making promises we likely can’t keep.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back