• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Benda to miss start of next season

DuffleCoat said:
Maybe he will, maybe he won’t.

If we took that attitude then we wouldn’t have signed the many wonderful loan players we have done throughout our history to get us to where we are now and where we have enjoyed being for the last 15 years.

Guehi signed on for a second season after an initial 6 month loan, he could have decided against it. How many have done it doesn’t matter, it’s the potential that it will again is what is important.

If he enjoys it and still behind all the top class keepers at Brighton then I don’t see why it wouldn’t extend beyond 12 months.

I’ve given many examples at all levels, including the one we face now (Championship hoping to go up) - where we signed Borini on loan and had a fair sniff of keeping him too.

This is no different. Don’t know what the fuss is about. A cracking keeper on loan for at least a season, yes please.

Not reality, as I say there's a time and a place for loans. I'm not against them per say, but I don't think this is a good decision when we have a capable player already in place (albeit currently injured).

Guehi was part of the go for broke policy (which nearly worked in fairness) alongside Woodman, Hourihane etc and we were left struggling once they all moved on.

Pretty sure Borini had already agreed a move elsewhere before coming to us on loan.

Chief said:
Not reality, as I say there's a time and a place for loans. I'm not against them per say, but I don't think this is a good decision when we have a capable player already in place (albeit currently injured).

Guehi was part of the go for broke policy (which nearly worked in fairness) alongside Woodman, Hourihane etc and we were left struggling once they all moved on.

Pretty sure Borini had already agreed a move elsewhere before coming to us on loan.

This is the perfect time for a loan. X2 keepers on the books, one struggling for confidence and the other injured for 6 months in the last year of his contract who hasn’t been a regular starter since he got here 4 years ago.

Guehi loan was fantastic for the club and got us to within a whisker of the EPL. Tell me what CB we could have got for the meagre cost of his salary at the time?

Borini was a key part of our promotion and even if that is true that he agreed to sign for Roma (conflicting stories there) that’s all the more reason to show how a short loan in a key position can be superb business.

Again, seems a silly discussion. We will see what the professionals do with the situation, we have a guy who has masterminded Luton’s rise from League 2 to the EPL at the helm.

I have a feeling he would disagree with your thinking on this.

DuffleCoat said:
This is the perfect time for a loan. X2 keepers on the books, one struggling for confidence and the other injured for 6 months in the last year of his contract who hasn’t been a regular starter since he got here 4 years ago.

Guehi loan was fantastic for the club and got us to within a whisker of the EPL. Tell me what CB we could have got for the meagre cost of his salary at the time?

Borini was a key part of our promotion and even if that is true that he agreed to sign for Roma (conflicting stories there) that’s all the more reason to show how a short loan in a key position can be superb business.

Again, seems a silly discussion. We will see what the professionals do with the situation, we have a guy who has masterminded Luton’s rise from League 2 to the EPL at the helm.

I have a feeling he would disagree with your thinking on this.

Already got 2 keepers yes. Who in 6 months could still be at the club. 1 short term loan to cover bendas injury I'd have no qualms about. If benda was spoken to and told he would be number 1 post recovery its entirely possible he'd sign a new contract.

The Cooper prestige loan gamble nearly did work yes. But ultimately it failed. We didn’t go up. Guehis competing that season was Bennett (who had no future at the club) and Lati (who was complete novice and never progressed much anyway). So again different situation.

Borini was the missing piece of the jigsaw brought in mid season that did elevate us to promotion. Unless we sign a whole host of other players capable of competing at the top end of the division (like Rodger's team did) then the comparison again doesn't work.

Time and place for loans. Plenty of people employed by the club over the years have made poor decisions so being employed can't be a prerequisite for faith.

Chief said:
Already got 2 keepers yes. Who in 6 months could still be at the club. 1 short term loan to cover bendas injury I'd have no qualms about. If benda was spoken to and told he would be number 1 post recovery its entirely possible he'd sign a new contract.

The Cooper prestige loan gamble nearly did work yes. But ultimately it failed. We didn’t go up. Guehis competing that season was Bennett (who had no future at the club) and Lati (who was complete novice and never progressed much anyway). So again different situation.

Borini was the missing piece of the jigsaw brought in mid season that did elevate us to promotion. Unless we sign a whole host of other players capable of competing at the top end of the division (like Rodger's team did) then the comparison again doesn't work.

Time and place for loans. Plenty of people employed by the club over the years have made poor decisions so being employed can't be a prerequisite for faith.

But why do we want to make Benda number 1 when it’s not obvious he should be? Why make promises we may not wish to keep? That’s not a way to run a club.

I’m sure he’s been told it cannot be guaranteed, and his performances certainly haven’t pointed to that being any way unreasonable. He’s been “fine”, no more than that.

The Cooper loans didn’t fail, we got to the play offs twice. Signing players permanently who weren’t good enough such as under Martin and Potter, failed.

I’d rather a crack at the playoffs than mid table nothingness.

If Bennett had no future at the club and Lati wasn’t going to play then the option was to being someone permanently in - I’m glad we didn’t, Guehi was class and don’t see who we could have got in for less to give us the same output.

We have signed important loans most seasons. Again right back to Britton, Cutler and Tate, to Gomez and Borini, to Gylfi, De Guzman and Abraham to Guehi and Brewster.

All played their part in the success story of the last 20 years.

Getting a class keeper in and selling an injured one that has never been a nailed on starter is the epitome of sense. It being undertaken by professionals with superb track records only adds weight to that.

I’ll be delighted to get in Rushworth and get some sort of a fee for Benda before his contract expires. Not sure how it can be argued.

Tough one for the lad, got some potential and will definitely improve under Margetson.
If my memory serves me right didn't he try and play on for a bit after he went down injured and received treatment?
Hope that didn't compound the injury...

People seem to be assuming Benda wants to sign a new contract? Maybe another club has come in for him where him, his family etc, would prefer the move? Who knows?

But as a club surely we can't let players to continue to walk on a free? If this is true, any fee we can get him for would be a bonus now, it's a shame he's got injured, it has more than likely lowered any fee we would have got otherwise, but that's football.

Edit - and Rushworth is a very good replacment, who has worked with Margetson before I assume, Fisher is a decent #2, plus Webb and the lad Mitchell to cover in any emergencies.

Forget the Rushworth part

We need a better keeper than either Benda or Fisher. I think this discussion gets skewed by thinking Benda is better than Fisher but we saw enough of him last season to know he is not the keeper we need. IMO.

DuffleCoat said:
But why do we want to make Benda number 1 when it’s not obvious he should be? Why make promises we may not wish to keep? That’s not a way to run a club.

I’m sure he’s been told it cannot be guaranteed, and his performances certainly haven’t pointed to that being any way unreasonable. He’s been “fine”, no more than that.

The Cooper loans didn’t fail, we got to the play offs twice. Signing players permanently who weren’t good enough such as under Martin and Potter, failed.

I’d rather a crack at the playoffs than mid table nothingness.

If Bennett had no future at the club and Lati wasn’t going to play then the option was to being someone permanently in - I’m glad we didn’t, Guehi was class and don’t see who we could have got in for less to give us the same output.

We have signed important loans most seasons. Again right back to Britton, Cutler and Tate, to Gomez and Borini, to Gylfi, De Guzman and Abraham to Guehi and Brewster.

All played their part in the success story of the last 20 years.

Getting a class keeper in and selling an injured one that has never been a nailed on starter is the epitome of sense. It being undertaken by professionals with superb track records only adds weight to that.

I’ll be delighted to get in Rushworth and get some sort of a fee for Benda before his contract expires. Not sure how it can be argued.

Are you Dr P from the Swansea Independent site?

A4Jack said:
I don't believe it is...

It obviously is.

He's called this spot on imo, we need to utilise the loan market, and we can't let people leave on frees.

Risc said:
It obviously is.

He's called this spot on imo, we need to utilise the loan market, and we can't let people leave on frees.

He certainly bears all the hallmarks of sherrifadz/dimi/dr p.

I also agree he's right on this. If Benda isn't going to sign a new deal, we'll have to try and sell him. Loans are vital to a club in our financial situation. As much as it would be nice to only make permanent signings, it's not realistic.

PSumbler said:
Forget the Rushworth part

We need a better keeper than either Benda or Fisher. I think this discussion gets skewed by thinking Benda is better than Fisher but we saw enough of him last season to know he is not the keeper we need. IMO.

Agree, don’t mind Benda and wanted him as our starter last season. But we are pushing to try and get in the EPL, I think we need to be aiming for better.

He will undoubtedly want assurances, assurances that we can’t (and shouldn’t) give him. My guess is that he will get offers from lower ranked teams to be their number 1, but will opt for the cash and EPL 3rd choice somewhere.

Where as someone like Rushworth, if we go up this season - then I’m earmarking that one to make permanent and I think he would excel with us. We need to be thinking bigger, and we are doing just that with this one.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back