• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Grimes

The non-football types are being shown up tragically on this thread.

Those of us lucky enough to be part of the Swanseaway system from a young age were taught to treasure possession, to pass and move in triangles up and down the pitch, with pace and precision, to always play heads-up, to think 3-4 moves ahead - and everyone from Centre Half through to Centre Forwards played that way, all of us rotating positions in training to appreciate proper perspective.

It’s in the Club’s dna.

Gavin Levey (and Paul Watson)are on it. They’re implementing an alignment programme (using the same consultants used by Man City) to reinforce the Swanseaway ethos - from the juniors right through.

Proper Jacks know.
You may want to pass the news on to Luke Williams 😉

Those of us lucky enough to be part of the Swanseaway system from a young age
Ah, that's very revealing.

You're too close to the club to be objective about what we're seeing now, which is a pale imitation, a watered down/diluted attempt to recapture what we had 2007-13.

It's understandable you can't see the wood for the trees, especially re Grimes.

Those of us lucky enough to be part of the Swanseaway system from a young age were taught to treasure possession, to pass and move in triangles up and down the pitch, with pace and precision, to always play heads-up, to think 3-4 moves ahead - and everyone from Centre Half through to Centre Forwards played that way, all of us rotating positions in training to appreciate proper perspective.

It’s in the Club’s dna.

Gavin Levey (and Paul Watson)are on it. They’re implementing an alignment programme (using the same consultants used by Man City) to reinforce the Swanseaway ethos - from the juniors right through.

Proper Jacks know.
You are Matty Grimes and I claim my £5.

It’s in the Club’s dna.

Proper Jacks

I’m sorry I don’t buy into that statement. Does that mean I’m not a proper Jack? Even though I’ve been a regular since 1985?

Those of us lucky to have watched, and been a die hard Jack, for times before 2010, know that the Swanseaway is absolutely not in our DNA. We have been successful with differing styles over the years. Jesus, Kenny Jackett was successful and was a penalty away from a double promotion to the Championship. His style was definitely not this fucking Swanseaway. The Toshack period was not Swanseaway either. Nor was Hollins or Yorath. Yes, we passed the ball well but not like the excruciating Swanseaway of today. If you think it's in our DNA then you're an idiot with no sense of history and can't see past the late 2000's. Like the clowns who seem to think football started with the Premier League.

Those of us lucky to have watched, and been a die hard Jack, for times before 2010, know that the Swanseaway is absolutely not in our DNA. We have been successful with differing styles over the years. Jesus, Kenny Jackett was successful and was a penalty away from a double promotion to the Championship. His style was definitely not this fucking Swanseaway. The Toshack period was not Swanseaway either. Nor was Hollins or Yorath. Yes, we passed the ball well but not like the excruciating Swanseaway of today. If you think it's in our DNA then you're an idiot with no sense of history and can't see past the late 2000's. Like the clowns who seem to think football started with the Premier League.

Tbf, in football you can start a "DNA" anytime, and for us that was when Roberto took over. Everything since then has been measured on those terms, whether we like it or not. There seems to be a misunderstanding about where the "Swansea Way" started, but there's no question it was back then, in 2007. Prior to that we never really had a solid, consistent footballing identity.

That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge periods prior to that where we also played nice football. Me, I thought Frankie Burrows's sides were a cracking watch, the first Swans team I fell in love with was 92/93, old fashioned 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, hard working midfield and no nonsense CBs. Some really brilliant stuff that year. Jan Molby's time was also great fun, we played really enjoyable football under him, bit like Keegan's Newcastle you score 3 we'll score 4. Flawed but fun. Bits and pieces under Jackett were quite good too, esp the play off season.

But those eras should not be confused with the Spanish/Dutch "Barca" model that Roberto remodelled the club around. People can argue as much they like but as far as our modern history goes, that was our Year Zero, our reference point for everything since. Anyone claiming otherwise doesn't really know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
The problem with 4-4-2 is that a lot of teams at the moment either play 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 so your 2 in midfield would always be outnumbered.

Of course, with proper coaching this could be avoided (getting your spare CB to step up into midfield or one of your strikers to drop back) but then you're effectively back in the same situation, either playing a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1.

Our formation at the moment tends to be a 3-3-3-1 with Grimes dropping in as a third CB, both full backs pushed on, then the two wingers and number 10 playing behind the single striker. The main problem we have is the 6 more defensive players keep the ball amongst themselves and are far too slow to get it to the 4 attacking players
How does 4 in midfield equate to 2 for you?

Tbf, in football you can start a "DNA" anytime, and for us that was when Roberto took over. Everything since then has been measured on those terms, whether we like it or not. There seems to be a misunderstanding about where the "Swansea Way" started, but there's no question it was back then, in 2007. Prior to that we never really had a solid, consistent identity.

That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge periods prior to that where we also played nice football. Me, I thought Frankie Burrows's sides were a cracking watch, the first Swans team I fell in love with was 92/93, old fashioned 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, hard working midfield and no nonsense CBs. Some really brilliant stuff that year. Jan Molby's time was also great fun, we played really enjoyable football under him, bit like Keegan's Newcastle you score 3 we'll score 4. Flawed but fun. Bits and pieces under Jackett were quite good too, esp the play off season.

But those eras should not be confused with the Spanish/Dutch "Barca" model that Roberto remodelled the club around. People can argue as much they like but as far as our modern history goes, that was our Year Zero, our reference point for everything since. Anyone claiming otherwise doesn't really know what they're

Well I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.
I don't get how I can't point to previous periods of success before Martinez and get told I'm not supposed to. Whereas you can take now and point to previous periods of success under RM but that's okay. Your argument is a contradiction.
The bizarre thing is, by reading your previous posts, we seem to be on the same wavelength. The problem is all about this bloody swanseaway moniker that hangs over the club.

And to anyone who thinks that the swanseaway brought everyone together as a club they either missed 1985 and 2001 or have very short memories

And to anyone who thinks that the swanseaway brought everyone together as a club they either missed 1985 and 2001 or have very short memories
1985 - Bristol City, last game of the season and the nil-nil was like we had won promotion. After the game I went to the Cardiff arms (or whatever it was called) on the Strand and found out I had won a bottle of whisky in the raffle in my office's party. What a night.
Jimmy Rimmer what a keeper.

Teams at all levels of the game that dominate possession tend to outperform their competitors. Think Barrow when they won promotion from the National league (dubbed unimaginatively Barrowcelona). Or Williams' Notts County scoring a ridiculous number of goals in winning promotion from the National league. Or Bolton under Ian Evatt. I could go on...

The point is that teams that dominate possession get to set the agenda more than their opponents. Man City have evolved under Guardiola but they still dominate possession. Likewise Barcelona and Spain, just less so than in the past.

Another consistent thread between Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup was the short sided triangles. If there is one thing that was largely absent from Martin's reign it was that, similarly with Williams. I hope the penny drops for Williams, because at the moment we're looking to hit the flanks too often, even though Ronald isn't a very good dribbler. We need more variety and tempo. But we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, by neglecting taking care of the ball.
Is that the Bolton who flunked their big day out at the play-off final with 65% possession? They were well and truly worked out before a ball had even been kicked.

Ah, that's very revealing.

You're too close to the club to be objective about what we're seeing now, which is a pale imitation, a watered down/diluted attempt to recapture what we had 2007-13.

It's understandable you can't see the wood for the trees, especially re Grimes.
He’s been as close to the club as you or I have.

NeathoM8, with respect you’re coming at this from the wrong place - try looking at it not from your perspective but from the Club’s, the players who have been a part of it time immemorial, the new players who came here to be a part of it, recognising it’s lure.

Look at the Alignment Programme the Club is currently implementing - alignment to the Swanseaway and everything that means, with our clear footballing identity at its core.

It’s most certainly in our dna. And it’s now in the process of being reinvigorated. Enjoy.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back