• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Grimes

Mostly Grimes is crap, but yesterday he was excellent. There is a good player in there, it's just we don't see it much.

Never injured, as he always plays safe. Never attracted any interest by any other managers, including ones who he's played for says it all.

It amuses me how such a nondescript player as Grimes arouses such passions. Let’s face it, he’s neither brilliant nor awful. He’s mostly just there. An asset. Sometimes. Other times a liability. Your typical championship footballer.

Going to wade in here.
Grimes is a superb player and capable of so much more on times....i think this is what irritates people and they then lose sight on how good he is for us.

Just keep Grimes and Fulton apart from starting.

Grimes is far more effective when he’s not languishing between the CB’s. When twenty yards further forward his influence on the game is much more noticeable, yesterday being the classic example. Whether this is is tactics thing or Grimes taking the comfort route and dropping deep is not clear to me, it’s surely a tactics thing. That said, his free kicks are ‘effin terrible and he should not take another one, ever.

“Grimes is a superb player”

And there it is again. He isn’t. Neither is he awful. He’s a decent, championship level midfielder. If he was a “superb player” he’d be long gone from Swansea City by now.

“Grimes is a superb player”

And there it is again. He isn’t. Neither is he awful. He’s a decent, championship level midfielder. If he was a “superb player” he’d be long gone from Swansea City by now.
What is he superb at? Let’s hear the answers from the audience.

It’s not his rate of assists, it’s not his goal scoring record, it’s not his free kick ability, it’s not his on field leadership.

Granted that his passing stats are very good, but then again when I’m playing tiki-taka in the back garden with the kids then so are mine.

What is he superb at? Let’s hear the answers from the audience.

It’s not his rate of assists, it’s not his goal scoring record, it’s not his free kick ability, it’s not his on field leadership.

Granted that his passing stats are very good, but then again when I’m playing tiki-taka in the back garden with the kids then so are mine.

Sums it up pretty nicely. Always available to receive ball, under pressure or not. Ask anyone who has managed him from Potter, to Luke now, they’d laugh anyone off the table if they talked some of the absolute nonsense you read on here to them.

Sums it up pretty nicely. Always available to receive ball, under pressure or not. Ask anyone who has managed him from Potter, to Luke now, they’d laugh anyone off the table if they talked some of the absolute nonsense you read on here to them.
My issue with stats is that you can use them to tell any story you want to fit a narrative.

I like Grimes, I also get extremely frustrated by how he often slows the play down and costs us momentum.

If he played the way he did yesterday week in week out the debate on his place in the side wouldn't be as fierce as it can often be.

That’s good, so he’s behind Tymon and Paterson in stats for key passes.

A progressive pass is generally defined as a pass which moves forward ten yards and/or covers 20% of the distance to the goal line. That’s made a whole lot easier when your laying so deep with an opposition that doesn’t press.

I'm not a Grimes hater; he rarely coughs the ball up and is always looking for work. The big difference this season to recent campaigns is that in Franco, he has a player alongside him who is also looking for work and not hiding, thus giving Grimes an outlet so his first instinct isn't always the sideways/backwards pass option.

That’s good, so he’s behind Tymon and Paterson in stats for key passes.

A progressive pass is generally defined as a pass which moves forward ten yards and/or covers 20% of the distance to the goal line. That’s made a whole lot easier when your laying so deep with an opposition that doesn’t press.
Well yeah he would be considering that’s what Pato’s job was to do, he was a ten.

Tymon plays as an attacking wing back with balls going into the box so he would too. Grimes dictates play, tackles, intercepts, links the defence and attack.

So again though, you could ask any player who has played with him, Flynn Downes said he was the best he’s ever played with, every manager, not just one, every manager, they know better than yourself, with all due respect.

Well yeah he would be considering that’s what Pato’s job was to do, he was a ten.

Tymon plays as an attacking wing back with balls going into the box so he would too. Grimes dictates play, tackles, intercepts, links the defence and attack.

So again though, you could ask any player who has played with him, Flynn Downes said he was the best he’s ever played with, every manager, not just one, every manager, they know better than yourself, with all due respect.
Flynn Downes made that statement when he was 22 years old and had just stepped up from Ipswich in League One, so whilst it may be true it’s also about context.

You haven’t actually said what ‘every manager’ has said, but I guess it’s that every manager thinks he’s the best midfielder they have ever managed. Russ must be included in there as well, that’s the Russ that gushed about him and signed him for Southampton.

You've got to ask the question why he doesn't generate much transfer interest, though.

I’m not saying he would be Makelele in the premiership etc, it’s a huge step up. Allegedly he’s on huge wages here too and Watford definitely wanted him when they got promoted but chose to stay here.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back