• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Russell’s bitterness to Swansea

This is an odd thread. Surely we all agree that Levien (is Kaplan actually still kicking around in any meaningful way?) has been the puppet master behind repetitive disastrous transfer windows and dealings?

For what it’s worth, to synthesise both arguments, perhaps they had decided that they weren’t going to indulge Martins crap choices after the three MK cons, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t want to strengthen, they just decided it would be their picks, and then just horsed it up with their legendary f**keittery and incompetence. It’s just about the only thing that could explain the horrific farce that is Karlan Grant…just about the last thing we actually needed, and surely not a Martin pick.

monmouth said:
This is an odd thread. Surely we all agree that Levien (is Kaplan actually still kicking around in any meaningful way?) has been the puppet master behind repetitive disastrous transfer windows and dealings?

For what it’s worth, to synthesise both arguments, perhaps they had decided that they weren’t going to indulge Martins crap choices after the three MK cons, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t want to strengthen, they just decided it would be their picks, and then just horsed it up with their legendary f**keittery and incompetence. It’s just about the only thing that could explain the horrific farce that is Karlan Grant…just about the last thing we actually needed, and surely not a Martin pick.

So we could say that Levien/the owners decided they were going to choose what players we signed in January given Martin's patchy record on signings, then fucked their choices up as well because they're even worse at their jobs than Martin was at his?

Seems fair.

Edited to say that while the dig from Martin was a pretty good one, it does show a lack of class. Cooper would have more reason than Martin to be unhappy with the club, yet he's managed to avoid making similar comments (as far as I'm aware).

We all were annoyed at that January window but looking back not many clubs made signings most only made 1 loan.

JackSomething said:
So we could say that Levien/the owners decided they were going to choose what players we signed in January given Martin's patchy record on signings, then fucked their choices up as well because they're even worse at their jobs than Martin was at his?

Seems fair.

Edited to say that while the dig from Martin was a pretty good one, it does show a lack of class. Cooper would have more reason than Martin to be unhappy with the club, yet he's managed to avoid making similar comments (as far as I'm aware).

Yep, Grant indicates neither they nor Martin have a clue about players and the owners are typical Yankee ‘negotiators’ but much worse at it. We’ve seen it throughout. Jenkins, for all his faults in this area (Ayew, Bony 2.0), made us millions on Dan James by ignoring the Doodles. I thought that’s why we were getting Watson, but it seems with Piroe that fat stateside fingers were all over it. I’d be surprised if we got as much as we imagine for JP.

@monmouth

If the rumours are true that Watson was sidelined or cut out from the Piroe negotiations, then we have problems there, he won't be about very long. And it will serve as proof that despite them putting a so-called new structure in place, in reality K&L are still calling the shots.

We were linked with around a dozen players in the January transfer window. Some of them went to other clubs, some stayed where they were. Hardly any of them - Keys and Wolf aside - seemed particularly exciting to me. In at least one case, we offered more than they finally went for, so for some reason we were seen as the less attractive club on offer to the player. Overall, it seems like a mixed bag where some deals may have failed because the de jure chairman failed to approve the deal or overplayed his hand in negotiations, but by no means all.

However, if I recall correctly, Martin went on record as saying that all proposed transfers failed because the final decision went to Levien. Directly contradicting Levien’s own account of what happened.

Either could be true, but not both. And only one of them had a strong motive for spinning the facts, given that he was almost certainly looking for a new job at the time.

JackSomething said:

Seems fair.

Total lack of class, but Martin seems to have thin skin so not surprising.

Guidolin probably has the most reason to feel bitter - sacked on his birthday for Bob Bradley :lol: He was unbelievably gracious about it too.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Total lack of class, but Martin seems to have thin skin so not surprising.

Guidolin probably has the most reason to feel bitter - sacked on his birthday for Bob Bradley :lol: He was unbelievably gracious about it too.

That sacking of Guidolin was one of the worst I’ve seen. Then to parade Bradley through the room whilst Guidolin was there was disgraceful.

Muteswan said:
That sacking of Guidolin was one of the worst I’ve seen. Then to parade Bradley through the room whilst Guidolin was there was disgraceful.

Yep. Guidolin actually hung around to help with the handover didn’t he. We didn’t deserve him. Imaging being a respected coach in the European game and then being replaced by Bobley! He was a gent, and not the worst manager we had in that spell by a long way.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Yep. Guidolin actually hung around to help with the handover didn’t he. We didn’t deserve him. Imaging being a respected coach in the European game and then being replaced by Bobley! He was a gent, and not the worst manager we had in that spell by a long way.

Totally agree.

Well this is quite a swerve, thread-wise.

I’ve spent quite a lot of time trying to unearth the facts of what happened with Guidolin’s sacking, and what I’ve come up with is:
- He was dismissed on his birthday (not cool, but when you are in your 50s, birthdays aren’t such a big deal and would it really have made a big difference if it was the day before, or the week before… sacking sucks, the timing is just a magnifier)
- The club didn’t know he was back in Swansea to collect his stuff when they held the press conference at the Marriott to unveil Bradley (as the usual room for press conferences at the Liberty was unavailable). It was an unfortunate accident.
- Guidolin is the only manager in recent years who has not wished the club well on his departure. Bradley did, Potter did, Cooper did. Not sure about Martin. Guidolin definitely did not.
I am confused as to where this idea comes from that he was a ‘gent’ who was ‘hard done by’.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back