• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: Swansea v Brentford, Championship Play Off Final Match Thread

Who is going to win the play off final ?

• Swansea City

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Brentford

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fireboy said:
I dont know why people reply to this prick.

Minehead is in Somerset isnt it? One of the biggest cnts on their forum is Minehead Bee.Real whiney one eyed simpleton. I wonder if the two are related?

monmouth said:
Thomas Frank said:
Again, safe journey and enjoy the weekend.

Same to you, sensible bee.

It could go either way. Not one of us knows, and not one of us can influence the outcome. One set of us will be ecstatic, one set dismayed. That’s sport.

I wouldn’t begrudge you it, your shot at the prem, that’s for sure. Sport is an endless cycle and no matter what happens, next season will bring more ups and downs. Three better teams than ours (or certainly on a par) have all got less than 30 points this season. Hardly a joy ride. Neither of us is a Leeds. Plus we know, surviving more than one season can turn out a long term curse as your cost structures and footballing principles go out the window, all for filthy lucre, that gives no benefit to your club.

I’m sure whichever of us wins on Saturday will be beyond ecstasy, put the prognosis already has overwhelming odds against.

For me, I just want a shot at the Prem. I know what it stands for and I much preferred life not caring much about the football, peeing in the rain in the toilets at Saltergate, enjoying copious pints in pubs in Hartlepool, freezing my balls off at Boundary Park, and getting the bloody hell out of Ninian Park as a bunch of nutter Soul Crew come up over the hill that faced the away exits. Stuff like that gave football character, and the significance of football gave way to enjoying days out with mates. But just one shot at the Prem, to give those sterile big club fans the finger. I know what happens should we survive up there. It's not for me, but I'll never give up my Brentford, but maybe I'll just stop going to away games thereafter.

Fireboy said:
Thomas Frank said:
Wotcha. Just wanted to wish you a safe trip to London on Saturday and may the best team on the day win.
Bees fans' view is not representative over a few posters on our forums, as you should know. It is a case of a positive mindset, as we've gone into previous playoffs with a negative mindset and it's not been very helpful. This time, we're all trying to be more positive, because we've suffered so many defeats and there's no other way to be for us anymore. We always predict a defeat for ourselves, and we just want to think differently this time round. But anyway, read into it what you will.
And of course we predict a win, because it's what we want to see. Much like yourselves, you'll have a lot of confidence knowing that you are well set-up, very organised, and can score goals, especially with Ayew in the team. He's a proven matchwinner and a Prem player imo.
Likewise, we're pretty decent ourselves when we're on our game, but the difference being is that we're tougher to beat than in previous seasons, so when we're not playing well, we still don't concede too many.
Regardless, majority of Brentford fans will be very very nervous because of our previous record. We've NEVER turned up and given the opposition a game in a playoff final, and all we really ask for is to give it everything. If we lose by giving everything, we can be fairly happy in defeat.

Prediction on my side is a 1-1 draw at 90 minutes. Don't want to even think about predicting what happens thereafter, as anything can and will happen.

Again, safe journey and enjoy the weekend.

At last a decent bee supporter, just like you lot used to be 👍

Shame about your username 🤣

Most of us still are decent. We've been through it in the same way most of you older fans know what it's like in the lower divisions.
I don't know about you lot, but we have attracted "new" fans to Brentford in recent years and they don't have a clue about what life is like in Division 4, especially the good bits about being a lower league club.

I'll guarantee you that when we next face each other and you're in the local pubs, the same old Brentford fans are still there. Self-deprecating, gallow-humoured, pessimistic, and welcoming to all away fans.

Thomas Frank said:
Fireboy said:

Most of us still are decent. We've been through it in the same way most of you older fans know what it's like in the lower divisions.
I don't know about you lot, but we have attracted "new" fans to Brentford in recent years and they don't have a clue about what life is like in Division 4, especially the good bits about being a lower league club.

I'll guarantee you that when we next face each other and you're in the local pubs, the same old Brentford fans are still there. Self-deprecating, gallow-humoured, pessimistic, and welcoming to all away fans.

Yeah we all know that we both have alot of really good fans, you seem to have attracted a few pretentious fans just like we did going up the leagues, it's when the going gets tough you see who are solid.

Im sorry to say but we jacks just can't help turning against your lot, it's the way your manager seems to have changed from being a decent bloke to be an angry they are all against bloke, bloody shame.

Anyway for you and you only I wish you luck for saturday but not much😁👍

Thomas Frank said:
For me, I just want a shot at the Prem.

That’s fair. By the time we went down, most of us were heartily sick of it, but still want to get back. We (or us oldies, or those that have been around the block, anyway) are hoping that the money is used to stabilise and reset, and we don’t try and spend our way to stay up, if we make it. To be Frank, Thomas, not having a rich benevolent owner, we could do with the money.

What will be, will.

Thomas Frank said:
Fireboy said:

Fair play.

In many ways, Brentford really aren't the enemy, but right now you really are I'm afraid. I can't bring myself to like your manager, and the majority of fans i've come across have been pious, brash and cocky.

That said, it's been a tough 12+ months for everyone and for those going to the games with friends and family for the first time in ages (or watching it in pubs and TVs), I hope both sets of supporters get something from that regardless of result. Maybe I'm going soft in my old age.

I do think we'll spring a surprise though. Villareal were the same odds as Swans ;-)

Yo Yo ing is the way forward, Theres money in it, just keep the squad together.

Fireboy said:
Thomas Frank said:

Yeah we all know that we both have alot of really good fans, you seem to have attracted a few pretentious fans just like we did going up the leagues, it's when the going gets tough you see who are solid.

Im sorry to say but we jacks just can't help turning against your lot, it's the way your manager seems to have changed from being a decent bloke to be an angry they are all against bloke, bloody shame.

Anyway for you and you only I wish you luck for saturday but not much😁👍

Fans like giving it the big 'un when we're actually pretty decent!!! It's part of the nature of fans' behaviour. Especially for us. It's the first time since...ever...that we've actually been half decent. We know that we're still a small club, batting way above our average, but we're enjoying it. From being completely insignificant ("Brentwood?...oh Brentford...what division are you in?), to then being the plucky little club in the Championship ("we can't lose to a club like Brentford"), to now being the arrogant little upstarts who threaten to actually consistently good. Probably not too different to how you felt when you were doing well in the Prem. In all honesty, I doubt any lower league fan (like ourselves) weren't supporting your efforts, as watching the smaller clubs beat the bigger clubs is genuinely a pleasure.

So, I don't blame anyone from turning against Brentford a bit. We are a threat, and in my opinion, our fans are revelling in it. We should do, shouldn't we?

The main thing is that we're all decent human beings outside of the ferocity of football rivalry, and the unwritten football rivalry rules very much are irrational, but...enjoyable!!!

monmouth said:
Thomas Frank said:
For me, I just want a shot at the Prem.

That’s fair. By the time we went down, most of us were heartily sick of it, but still want to get back. We (or us oldies, or those that have been around the block, anyway) are hoping that the money is used to stabilise and reset, and we don’t try and spend our way to stay up, if we make it. To be Frank, Thomas, not having a rich benevolent owner, we could do with the money.

What will be, will.

To be fair, there's no point even competing unless you want your team to win and play the highest level. But you're absolutely right, should we go up, spending money is not the way forward, and the last 7-8 years of our owner's management has proven that with investment in the right areas, it's possible to eventually implement a strategy that can work for smaller clubs. Buy low, sell high. We were buying players for £300,000 and selling at £6 million a few years ago, and now buying at £5 million and selling at £25 million. Ok, not every signing, but you get the picture. Our owner put in money to build the infrastructure and the fans bought into the vision. Despite the summer meltdowns when we were selling our players, our recruitment team kept coming up with better and better signings, and the fans have confidence that if we sell, we will continue to buy quality. We already know that promotion to the Prem won't see us live beyond our means, and that means we'll likely come down again. But, the chances of getting back into the Prem will be that little bit higher, as the management is running our finances very well.

AlarchAlmaenig said:
Thomas Frank said:

Fair play.

In many ways, Brentford really aren't the enemy, but right now you really are I'm afraid. I can't bring myself to like your manager, and the majority of fans i've come across have been pious, brash and cocky.

That said, it's been a tough 12+ months for everyone and for those going to the games with friends and family for the first time in ages (or watching it in pubs and TVs), I hope both sets of supporters get something from that regardless of result. Maybe I'm going soft in my old age.

I do think we'll spring a surprise though. Villareal were the same odds as Swans ;-)

lol. Of course we're the enemy for now. As are you to us! As I explained in another post, our fans are going to come across like that because
a) we're actually half-decent for the first time since before World War 2,
b) we're collectively trying our best to actually be positive for the first time in a long time, and
c) we're football fans. We're hardly going to go round being little shrinking violets letting people pat us on the head. When you were in the Prem, beating some of the bigger clubs, I'll bet you lauded it over them, and quite rightly so.

But you're right, a sense of perspective is needed too. It's been a tough time for everyone, and despite the rivalry for this game, despite the fact that one set of fans are going to be devastated on Saturday evening, and despite the comments (on both sides) that are pretty irrational, we're nearly all decent people and would 99% enjoy each other's company with a pint in a pub and decent footy chat, especially some of us older ones who know what lack of success means.

And yes, I noticed Villareal's odds. This is precisely why I'll be positive about our chances, but it really is no more than a 50:50 game on Saturday. Nervous anticipation and excitement for Saturday. Same as you I'll bet.

Thomas Frank said:
AlarchAlmaenig said:
Fair play.

lol. Of course we're the enemy for now. As are you to us! As I explained in another post, our fans are going to come across like that because
b) we're collectively trying our best to actually be positive for the first time in a long time, and
c) we're football fans. We're hardly going to go round being little shrinking violets letting people pat us on the head. When you were in the Prem, beating some of the bigger clubs, I'll bet you lauded it over them, and quite rightly so.

But you're right, a sense of perspective is needed too. It's been a tough time for everyone, and despite the rivalry for this game, despite the fact that one set of fans are going to be devastated on Saturday evening, and despite the comments (on both sides) that are pretty irrational, we're nearly all decent people and would 99% enjoy each other's company with a pint in a pub and decent footy chat, especially some of us older ones who know what lack of success means.

And yes, I noticed Villareal's odds. This is precisely why I'll be positive about our chances, but it really is no more than a 50:50 game on Saturday. Nervous anticipation and excitement for Saturday. Same as you I'll bet.

You're last part is an interesting one as I don't have any nervousness and not a huge amount of excitement. In 2011 I could barely sleep for days leading up to the final and was the proverbial kid on Xmas Eve.

This isn't a dig but we spent 7 years in the Premier League. 3 or 4 of those were brilliant and times I will never forget, the last 3 were dreadful experiences where we spent half our time trying not to lose by too big a margin where in the early years we firmly believed we could beat just about anyone. And we did, winning at the Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and pretty much everywhere including Wembley and Europe.

I believe my lack of excitement is knowing that if we go up we will spend most of next season getting roundly beaten by these teams and in twelve months time will be back down here just hopefully considerably richer for the experience. The Premier League made the football club quite corrupt and poisonous last time and we have just got back our identity off the pitch recently, I would hate to see that disappear.

Already I am hearing rumours that our American owners are coming over for the game on Saturday - we haven't seen them since we were relegated, the very definition of glory hunters.

I do though get your excitement and nervousness so as I said don't take it as a dig but I would certainly say this game means more to you than us as fans (not saying my cynical view is the same as everyones mind :lol: )

PSumbler said:
I do though get your excitement and nervousness so as I said don't take it as a dig but I would certainly say this game means more to you than us as fans (not saying my cynical view is the same as everyones mind :lol: )

#metoo

Where I really admire Brentford is that they went all out for Moneyball and when it initially turned out meh, they persevered and made it work. This IMO is why we recruited Scott and is the whole Lowe/Whittaker approach. Dont ask me about Freeman mind 🤣

PSumbler said:
Thomas Frank said:

You're last part is an interesting one as I don't have any nervousness and not a huge amount of excitement. In 2011 I could barely sleep for days leading up to the final and was the proverbial kid on Xmas Eve.

This isn't a dig but we spent 7 years in the Premier League. 3 or 4 of those were brilliant and times I will never forget, the last 3 were dreadful experiences where we spent half our time trying not to lose by too big a margin where in the early years we firmly believed we could beat just about anyone. And we did, winning at the Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and pretty much everywhere including Wembley and Europe.

I believe my lack of excitement is knowing that if we go up we will spend most of next season getting roundly beaten by these teams and in twelve months time will be back down here just hopefully considerably richer for the experience. The Premier League made the football club quite corrupt and poisonous last time and we have just got back our identity off the pitch recently, I would hate to see that disappear.

Already I am hearing rumours that our American owners are coming over for the game on Saturday - we haven't seen them since we were relegated, the very definition of glory hunters.

Haha, as you say, I definitely agree that it means loads to us. At the same time, we're so used to being disappointed that we'll take it on the chin. Last season, we couldn't attend the final, so this time round, we are all getting way over-excited about this, and you understand this from your 2011 memories.

I'm sorry that your American owners are only surfacing now. It's not right, but that's the way football has become, totally indistinguishable from football when it used to be a sport.

In the meantime, I'll go back to filling my thoughts about (hopefully) winning on Saturday, as there's really not much else going on in my head at the moment!

Best ones

PSumbler said:
Thomas Frank said:

Have to agree Phil.. the Reading playoff game was a huge build up and great day out 45K of us revelling in the sun and at half time is completely disbelief that the reality of promotion was upon us and bringing back party memories from Preston 1981. I share your mood with this game Saturday as the majority of Jacks know what potentially is around the corner again if we get promoted but Brentford fans are where we were 10 years ago so you can understand their excitement for this. Would we have all gone if this was a full capacity game yes we all would but would we have the same desire as 2011 to get promoted probably not although some might disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us win and have another year in the Premier League. But the fact is that it's been much more enjoyable watching young players like Roberts, James, McBurnie, Cabango, Rodon, Grimes, Fulton, Cullen, etc being brought through into the first team over the last three years than it was watching mercenaries like Shelvey steal a huge wage in the Premier League, not to mention the fact that we win far more games in the Championship than in the Premier. The journey is so much better than actually being there.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back