• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Official Derby County v Swansea City Match Thread

What will the result be against Derby?

• Derby win

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Swans win

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
Derby County v Swansea City
Pride Park Stadium, Derby
Wednesday December 16 2020, 5.30pm Kick Off

This match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports football - please note the earlier kick off time

Sky-Sports-Football-2020-logo-250.png

The Swans travel to a Derby side with just one win since the first weekend in October on Wednesday as we look to complete a successful two games on the road following the easy win at the Cardiff City Stadium on Wednesday night. The Rams are yet to win at home this season in nine attempts whilst Steve Cooper's side have 15 points from 9 games on the road

Steve Cooper will be looking to keep his side in the promotion hunt against their hosts who know that they need points to ease off what are becoming some severe relegation worries - they are already 8 points adrift of 18th placed Coventry City with the bottom 6 in danger of losing touch with those above them.

As ever on Planet Swans we have for you some of the most comprehensive pre-match coverage in our matchday thread that will bring you all we need to know over the next few days.

LAST TIME OUT AT LIBERTY STADIUM
Swansea City 2 Derby County 3
Sky Bet Championship
8th February 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG44uOxaBA

LAST TIME OUT AT PRIDE PARK
Derby County 0 Swansea City 0
Sky Bet Championship
10th August 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDos8PEIm9s

LAST TIME OUT FOR DERBY
Derby 0 Stoke 0
Saturday December 12 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1OGbEDerHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztj7dJmos4

LAST TIME OUT FOR THE SWANS
Cardiff City 0 Swansea City 2
12 December 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwzoIRc0byE&t=236s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlm50rqACBg&t=31s

MEET THE REF

Wednesday's ref is Gavin Ward

Gavin Ward will take charge of the Swans for the second time this season. He was the man in the middle for the 0-0 draw at home to Birmingham back in September, a game that saw him issue just one yellow card (click here for the Ref's watch from that game) It was a match remembered for a half-time incident involving Swans coach Alan Tate who was later charged and punished by the FA for the incident that went unpunished on the day by Ward.

Tate Brum.jpg

His only appearance taking control of Derby this season is in their 1-0 home defeat to QPR in November and in total, in 10 Championship Games this season, he has produced 27 yellow cards and 2 reds - one for Adam Idah of Norwich and the other for Ryan Yates of Nottingham Forest.

Ward has been an EFL official for 13 years and was appointed to the Select 2 Group officials ahead of the 2018/19 season after over ten years as an EFL referee in League One and League Two.

During that time, he took charge of the 2017/18 EFL Trophy Final between Shrewsbury Town and Lincoln City, as well as being the Fourth Official for the FA Vase Final in 2011.

Ward will be assisted by Shaun Hudson and Mark Pottage while Leigh Doughty is the fourth official.

Ward.jpg

BLAST FROM THE PAST
Derby County 0 Swansea City 1
20 February 2010

"He was crying on the television"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZM8HPOGbv8

The Planet Swans match report- courtesy of sheffieldjack

A great away win for the flying Swans, passionately backed by about 1,474 Jacks. The game was played on a terrible pitch which did not suit our passing style of play and overseen by a totally inept referee.

The first half was scrappy but the referee allowed Derby to get away with far too much. There was a dangerous tackle on Orlandi after about ten minutes which the ref totally ignored and which resulted in Orlandi having to be substituted a few minutes later. Time after time the Derby centrebacks were climbing all over Kuqi but nothing was given.

But the ref seemed intent on gifting Deerby a goal and kept giving freekicks a few yards outside the penatly area against Swansea players when the ball was whacked against them from about three yards. Ridiculous! Fortunately their freekicks either hit our wall or sailed high and wide. Savage got a fair bit of stick, but played the part of the pantomine villain as usual.

The ref compounded his inept performance early in the second half when he only gave a yellow card to the Derby player who tried to break Joe Allen's leg with an even worse tackle than the Orlandi one in the first half. 

Thne there were four defining moments. The first was the sending off of the Derby fullback marking Dyer. He had struggled with Dyer's pace in the first half and been booked for a foul. Midway through the second half he took Dyer out when Dyer had skinned him and the ref had no option but to send him off.

The second was a well taken goal by Kuqi who flicked on a header from a free kick which went in off the inside of the post in front of the jubilant away support.

The third was the sending off of Pintado for a strong tackle on Savage - but the injustice was that earier two far worse tackles had not resulted in red cards and in the ruck that followed Pintado's tackle the Derby goalie violently retaliated and should clealrly have been sent off too. What did the ref do? Nothing!

Pintado Savage.jpg

The fourth was the dreaded 87th minute jinx! This time things went our way when a Derby freekick hit the underside on the crossbar but bounced back into play and was cleared to safety. After that we held on comfortably and earned a well-deserved three points!

Believe! The Jacks are going up!

View attachment Kuqi.jpg

Robbie Savage - 22 February 2010

That was a career-ending tackle without a doubt - and I think he did it on purpose,

I heard him coming, if I hadn't seen him and I was planted, I'd have broken my leg. I don't know what he was doing, probably looking to make a name for himself.

It's a man's game, I expect tackles, but not as bad as that. It was a ridiculous, idiotic challenge, not just two-footed, it was a lunge. Now he gets a three-match ban - I hope he appeals and gets another one.

Gorka Pintado - 02 May 2020

I didn't know he was a player, and as I have told you - if I have to bite, I bite

After one foul he called me a f****** c***.

At that time I did not speak much English but I understood him and told him 'You're going to kiss the floor!'

And he did!

He was crying on television. That's how I found out who he was."

swansea-citys-gorka-pintado-is-pushed-over-by-derby-county-goalkeeper-picture-id805897720

If we keep our performances up from the last 2 matches then we will get something. Suspect Cabango Dhanda and Palmer may start this one !

Ringwood Jack said:
If we keep our performances up from the last 2 matches then we will get something. Suspect Cabango Dhanda and Palmer may start this one !

Cabango for Naughton I can definitely see happening, not sure he will make more changes beyond that.

If we can pick up four points now from the next two games as a minimum then that will make for a nice league table going into the Christmas period

Big test this for Cooper and the players. After the emotions of a derby win and fab performance, very easy to lose focus and concentration. I think we'll pass this test though, and secure another 3 points. 0-2 to the mighty Swans.

Jinxy said:
Big test this for Cooper and the players. After the emotions of a derby win and fab performance, very easy to lose focus and concentration. I think we'll pass this test though, and secure another 3 points. 0-2 to the mighty Swans.

The simple fact that they have yet to win at home this season worries me alone.

:lol:

PSumbler said:
Jinxy said:

The simple fact that they have yet to win at home this season worries me alone.

:lol:

Relax Phil - hopefully the swans curse will have a night off eh!

Haven’t beaten them for a few years. That game at home last year when they came back to beat us with a 25 yarder was sickening. 1-0 they don’t score many

I have 2 memories of Derby.
Savage chasing after but not getting anywhere near the young Joe Allen.
And
The tackle of the decade when Gorka took the ball from Savage quite fairly but caused blondie's mates to riot.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back