• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 21/22: The Official Swansea City v QPR Match Thread

What will the result be against QPR?

• Swans win

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • QPR win

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Darran said:
Wyndham Evans is a lovely fella I’ve met him several times and he was a fabulous player but who the f*ck keeps asking him back?

You didn't go today en?

3swan said:
There's always a positive.

It was the last game of the season

Strawberries and Joes Ice Cream all round Clive, although something a lot stronger is gonna be needed :D

Wasn't expecting much entertainment today. However that was less than I expected. I know Naughton had more touches than Barnsley earlier this season. I'm sure Fisher had more touches than QPR today. As mentioned earlier the only positive is no more games this season. We'll be picked off easier next season if we continue with this style.

Darran said:
Nocountryforoldjack said:
No doubt Martin will throw the players under the bus for this one and lessons will be learnt for next season yadda yadda. Jury is definitely still out on our manager for me. He needs to get a grip.

We’ll sell Cabango,Downes and Piroe and Christie and Wolf will go back to their clubs.
We’ll have five new players in the starting line-up and come October Russell will be saying it’s going to take time to jelly.
This.
I kinda said the same few weeks back. The ONLY saving grace could be that we'll have more time to get faces in. Naughton not getting younger...the defence is a fckn shambles. Instead of this process thing accompanied by endless passing at the back, we need some muscle in there.
But like many, I've proper doubts Russ will get us the play offs next year.

Can only see our decline gathering pace next season, not sure how much will be afforded for squad strengthening after the sale of Piroe, Downes etc but I suspect it won't be enough, the next level...

Niigata Jack said:
3swan said:
There's always a positive.

It was the last game of the season

Strawberries and Joes Ice Cream all round Clive, although something a lot stronger is gonna be needed :D

With over 60 years of watching some poor seasons, apart from very few bright spots, this season is up there with the ones that I'm just relieved the season is over.

There have been far too many games where a little bit of hope has been crushed.

Apathy has taken over game by game

Darran said:
Wyndham Evans is a lovely fella I’ve met him several times and he was a fabulous player but who the f*ck keeps asking him back?

Leave Wyndham alone, he gives some light relief in turgid games!

sainthelens said:
Darran said:
We’ll sell Cabango,Downes and Piroe and Christie and Wolf will go back to their clubs.
We’ll have five new players in the starting line-up and come October Russell will be saying it’s going to take time to jelly.
This.
I kinda said the same few weeks back. The ONLY saving grace could be that we'll have more time to get faces in. Naughton not getting younger...the defence is a fckn shambles. Instead of this process thing accompanied by endless passing at the back, we need some muscle in there.
But like many, I've proper doubts Russ will get us the play offs next year.

Playoffs? I’m more worried about the other end of the table. This looks like a side that could struggle if (when) we lose a couple of key players. There’s going to be huge pressure to get the recruitment spot on and replace Piroe’s goals somehow. Bring in a new foreword who turns out to be crap and we could really be in the crap.

Or we could add a few of players to really strengthen the back and better link play and we could be very good. When we’re on our game we can be excellent- we’re in a really odd place. Capable of ripping teams apart but can also be utter sh*te and weak as piss.

jacabertawe said:
Darran said:

Leave Wyndham alone, he gives some light relief in turgid games!

To much information. I wondered why Rob sometimes squeals during his commentary!

monmouth said:
Darran said:
What we worked on in training this week must have been Fisher coming out of his area to receive the ball off the fullback to confuse QPR.
Absolutely utterly bizarre.

And then he humped it aimlessly 70 yards straight back to them. It's pathetic.

Yeah, and that’s been getting worse. The midfield and fullbacks/wing backs have to do more there and be busy c*nts to find space and want the ball. Most stand there like statues. I almost feel sorry for Fisher as there’s nothing on for him half the time.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
monmouth said:
And then he humped it aimlessly 70 yards straight back to them. It's pathetic.

Yeah, and that’s been getting worse. The midfield and fullbacks/wing backs have to do more there and be busy c*nts to find space and want the ball. Most stand there like statues. I almost feel sorry for Fisher as there’s nothing on for him half the time.

Sounds like a job for Joe Allen 👍

That game was a pretty good reflection of our season. Some pretty play, lack of ruthlessness, some aimless passing around at the back, high possession stats where it doesn’t much count and some lacklustre defending leading to them scoring on one of their first real attempts. And only a few of our players seeming to give much of a toss about any of it.

Oh well. If that’s what passes for exciting, engaging football then so be it.

So where do we go from here? Not sure really. Despite Martin actually inventing passing out from the back it doesn’t seem to be working particularly well with this formation (a formation known as randomly playing players anywhere to little effect).
There is some real talent in the squad (if we keep any of it, that’s a different matter). But I’d love to see us revert to a shape where we use actual defenders, have pace and skill on the wings (with actual full backs behind them) and a creative player at both the midfield anchor and the space just behind the front man. I suspect we won’t revert to that as Martin doesn’t seem to like it very much. So we have to wait to see if we can find players (for very little money) that can actually make this work. Let’s hope we can. We have quite a lot of them to find IMO as there are weaknesses all over this team at the moment.
If I have one hope, it would be that we sell Piroe early and build in good time. Because if we don’t, I can see another season of ‘we didn’t have a proper pre season together ’ being trotted out.

I’d sell one of Grimes or Downes as well to be honest. What we’d get for them would be better used than having both of them in the same team. Paterson needs to go, and I don’t think Ntcham has worked out (he’s too expensive to have as a sub). Obafemi let’s hope we keep, he’s a real talent. Cabango as well. Wouldn’t keep Christie myself as he lacks pace for this system and god knows what’s happened to that left wing back from Shrewsbury.

Lot to do, particularly given we need a new person in charge of all that.

Still. We’ve had worse seasons. This division isn’t all that to get out of, look at Luton for Gods sake. All it will take is a couple of good or lucky performances and they’ll be up.

Fingers crossed for next year. Which will be here in a few weeks after all.

Swanjaxs said:
LeonWasTheDog's said:

Sounds like a job for Joe Allen 👍

Joe doesn't deserve to be put through the torture of Martins idiotic methodology surely.

Darran said:

I’m with you on this. I honestly find him excruciating to listen to. Loved him as a player, and as you say, generally regarded as a lovely, lovely bloke, but I hate him on commentary.

A season memorable for the double which is well worth celebrating and very little else.

I still fear that we continue to be a club in decline and that our next change of division will be down and not up.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back