• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 21/22: The Official Swansea City v QPR Match Thread

What will the result be against QPR?

• Swans win

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • QPR win

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually one other point I meant to make. Why on Earth did we bring Piroe off? Didn’t seem injured, half an hour to go, nil nil,

Didn’t do it as a send off thing as it was a double substitution and no one even really noticed him going. I don’t get that at all. I realise he will leave, but leaving him on to at least try to win the final game of the season seemed sensible? If we were that concerned about a knock, why start him at all?

Has to be rated as one of out worse home performances of the season, so boring to watch.

I’m off fishing for the summer, hope you all have a good one.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
sainthelens said:
This.
I kinda said the same few weeks back. The ONLY saving grace could be that we'll have more time to get faces in. Naughton not getting younger...the defence is a fckn shambles. Instead of this process thing accompanied by endless passing at the back, we need some muscle in there.
But like many, I've proper doubts Russ will get us the play offs next year.

Playoffs? I’m more worried about the other end of the table. This looks like a side that could struggle if (when) we lose a couple of key players. There’s going to be huge pressure to get the recruitment spot on and replace Piroe’s goals somehow. Bring in a new foreword who turns out to be crap and we could really be in the crap.

Or we could add a few of players to really strengthen the back and better link play and we could be very good. When we’re on our game we can be excellent- we’re in a really odd place. Capable of ripping teams apart but can also be utter sh*te and weak as piss.

There were plenty who said we'd be bottom 4/5 at the start of this season. Whilst I don't feel Russ will get us top 6, I honestly don't think he'll take us down either. A proper pre season, time to get new faces( not last minute ffs) and who knows. Just think we'll be same next year tho.

Mediocre.
If we keep Martin as gaffer we are toast.

No one fears us.

sainthelens said:
LeonWasTheDog's said:
Playoffs? I’m more worried about the other end of the table. This looks like a side that could struggle if (when) we lose a couple of key players. There’s going to be huge pressure to get the recruitment spot on and replace Piroe’s goals somehow. Bring in a new foreword who turns out to be crap and we could really be in the crap.

Or we could add a few of players to really strengthen the back and better link play and we could be very good. When we’re on our game we can be excellent- we’re in a really odd place. Capable of ripping teams apart but can also be utter sh*te and weak as piss.

There were plenty who said we'd be bottom 4/5 at the start of this season. Whilst I don't feel Russ will get us top 6, I honestly don't think he'll take us down either. A proper pre season, time to get new faces( not last minute ffs) and who knows. Just think we'll be same next year tho.

The thing about getting new faces in early depends completely on our owners attitude to selling. They will want top dollar as they are money people but if nobody meets our valuation of Piroe quickly, they might decide to hang on to him in the hope that someone eventually does which may be end of June or early July by which time, any players we are interested in now, may have been snapped up.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Actually one other point I meant to make. Why on Earth did we bring Piroe off? Didn’t seem injured, half an hour to go, nil nil,

Didn’t do it as a send off thing as it was a double substitution and no one even really noticed him going. I don’t get that at all. I realise he will leave, but leaving him on to at least try to win the final game of the season seemed sensible? If we were that concerned about a knock, why start him at all?

Protecting our resale value whilst still giving him a good run out, possibly. Imagine if he’d done a Latti on 85 mins.

If only we'd had a full pre-season.....we might have gone down!

sainthelens said:
LeonWasTheDog's said:

That’s all true enough. I can’t call it and think we may be at a bit of a crossroads and it could go either way. We need the individual quality however we play as a team, and I’m a bit worried we may struggle to sign quality with our owners. Like this year losing Guehi and never replacing him. But then Piroe and Obafemi have been great additions, so maybe we can keep unearthing cheap players.

I like that we’re trying to be different as we have to find a way to be better as a team than other clubs who have more cash. Not quite working at the moment though. But the again we can be excellent. Had Piroe slotted home today after that glorious pass from Obafemi we’d all be putting about how good we are. Congreve’s turn and set up for Christie was top class too. So we can do it in spells, but just need to wake the deck up a bit and play it out from the back with a bit of purpose.

Londonlisa2001 said:
That game was a pretty good reflection of our season. Some pretty play, lack of ruthlessness, some aimless passing around at the back, high possession stats where it doesn’t much count and some lacklustre defending leading to them scoring on one of their first real attempts. And only a few of our players seeming to give much of a toss about any of it.

Oh well. If that’s what passes for exciting, engaging football then so be it.

So where do we go from here? Not sure really. Despite Martin actually inventing passing out from the back it doesn’t seem to be working particularly well with this formation (a formation known as randomly playing players anywhere to little effect).
There is some real talent in the squad (if we keep any of it, that’s a different matter). But I’d love to see us revert to a shape where we use actual defenders, have pace and skill on the wings (with actual full backs behind them) and a creative player at both the midfield anchor and the space just behind the front man. I suspect we won’t revert to that as Martin doesn’t seem to like it very much. So we have to wait to see if we can find players (for very little money) that can actually make this work. Let’s hope we can. We have quite a lot of them to find IMO as there are weaknesses all over this team at the moment.
If I have one hope, it would be that we sell Piroe early and build in good time. Because if we don’t, I can see another season of ‘we didn’t have a proper pre season together ’ being trotted out.

I’d sell one of Grimes or Downes as well to be honest. What we’d get for them would be better used than having both of them in the same team. Paterson needs to go, and I don’t think Ntcham has worked out (he’s too expensive to have as a sub). Obafemi let’s hope we keep, he’s a real talent. Cabango as well. Wouldn’t keep Christie myself as he lacks pace for this system and god knows what’s happened to that left wing back from Shrewsbury.

Lot to do, particularly given we need a new person in charge of all that.

Still. We’ve had worse seasons. This division isn’t all that to get out of, look at Luton for Gods sake. All it will take is a couple of good or lucky performances and they’ll be up.

Fingers crossed for next year. Which will be here in a few weeks after all.

Had we scored a beautiful team goal it would have reflected the season perfectly. Sublime in parts, boring in large parts, soft underbelly.

The lack of width was very noticeable today; we were all talking about it. It hurt us at both ends, with no wide options for Fisher and then when we were belatedly attacking it got very congested centrally and there was no width up front.l (although what’s the point of width and crosses when no bugger attacks the ball in the box?).

And the coincidentally I pulled into the Texaco garage on the way home and who was at the next pump but Nathan Dyer; I’m not spiritual but that was a sign!

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Londonlisa2001 said:
That game was a pretty good reflection of our season. Some pretty play, lack of ruthlessness, some aimless passing around at the back, high possession stats where it doesn’t much count and some lacklustre defending leading to them scoring on one of their first real attempts. And only a few of our players seeming to give much of a toss about any of it.

So where do we go from here? Not sure really. Despite Martin actually inventing passing out from the back it doesn’t seem to be working particularly well with this formation (a formation known as randomly playing players anywhere to little effect).
There is some real talent in the squad (if we keep any of it, that’s a different matter). But I’d love to see us revert to a shape where we use actual defenders, have pace and skill on the wings (with actual full backs behind them) and a creative player at both the midfield anchor and the space just behind the front man. I suspect we won’t revert to that as Martin doesn’t seem to like it very much. So we have to wait to see if we can find players (for very little money) that can actually make this work. Let’s hope we can. We have quite a lot of them to find IMO as there are weaknesses all over this team at the moment.
If I have one hope, it would be that we sell Piroe early and build in good time. Because if we don’t, I can see another season of ‘we didn’t have a proper pre season together ’ being trotted out.

I’d sell one of Grimes or Downes as well to be honest. What we’d get for them would be better used than having both of them in the same team. Paterson needs to go, and I don’t think Ntcham has worked out (he’s too expensive to have as a sub). Obafemi let’s hope we keep, he’s a real talent. Cabango as well. Wouldn’t keep Christie myself as he lacks pace for this system and god knows what’s happened to that left wing back from Shrewsbury.

Still. We’ve had worse seasons. This division isn’t all that to get out of, look at Luton for Gods sake. All it will take is a couple of good or lucky performances and they’ll be up.

Had we scored a beautiful team goal it would have reflected the season perfectly. Sublime in parts, boring in large parts, soft underbelly.

The lack of width was very noticeable today; we were all talking about it. It hurt us at both ends, with no wide options for Fisher and then when we were belatedly attacking it got very congested centrally and there was no width up front.l (although what’s the point of width and crosses when no bugger attacks the ball in the box?).

And the coincidentally I pulled into the Texaco garage on the way home and who was at the next pump but Nathan Dyer; I’m not spiritual but that was a sign!

The last time I stood at the next pump to a Swans player after a match it was O’Leary…

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Londonlisa2001 said:

Funnily enough a few years back I was withdrawing money from the ATM outside Tesco Express by Swansea Central just before 10pm the night before we played West Ham in the PL, turned around and Nathan was stood behind me, I blurted out "are we gona win tomorrow" and he smiled and put both his thumps up 👍

It was a tough watch - it certainly felt like a dead rubber match with many of the team while not already on the beach were certainly in the middle of booking their flights there.

The defending was at times comical and Fisher's refusal to come out and claim crosses certainly adds significant pressure onto the defenders who are already lacking aerial presence with the injury to Cabango and later in the game Lati. I can only assume it is being coached into him not to come out but without aerial dominance we have to rely on our keeper to deal with pressure balls put into the box.

Londonlisa2001 said:
LeonWasTheDog's said:

The last time I stood at the next pump to a Swans player after a match it was O’Leary…

I’m trying to nab Leon. We always see him and his Lambo can’t do more that 4 miles to the gallon, so you’d think he’d practically live in petrol stations.

Unless he hasn’t got a bright green Lamborghini and I’ve been stalking the wrong person!

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back