• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 24/25 | The Official Match Thread | WBA v Swansea City | The EFL Championship

Another thought from yesterday.

During the warm up Margetson was giving Vigouroux a hard time and didn't seem happy with him. Even when there was an injury and the players were taking drinks he was still having a go.

Not a good sign when you have to train a keeper during a warm up and game
He's the least of our problems!

We could do with a break by the sounds of it.
Just looking at our stats for this season, other than one, you’d think we were a top 4 team. Unfortunately, like last year, that stat is touches in the opposition box, which is kind of a biggie.
Hopefully the new boys can click.

I really want him to do well. Changing managers is expensive and disruptive, and I'd much prefer to not have to do it. Far better if they're successful.

Sadly he's not exactly covering himself in glory at the moment. Too many obvious mistakes, too many decisions that make zero sense. Too many basic failings in team setup, organisation and motivation.
Same here, I just want him and some of the players to start performing, and getting stuck in to doing a job.

I am slowly coming round to the idea that some others on here mooted the other day that this is a football club stuck in a time warp, fetishising the Roberto/Brendan/Laudrup era whilst incrementally getting further and further away from what it is we're trying to recapture.

We're a bit like a pier side Elvis impersonator - it's all a little bit out of its time, a bit tragic to watch.

I am slowly coming round to the idea that some others on here mooted the other day that this is a football club stuck in a time warp, fetishising the Roberto/Brendan/Laudrup era whilst incrementally getting further and further away from what it is we're trying to recapture.

We're a bit like a pier side Elvis impersonator - it's all a little bit out of its time, a bit tragic to watch.
Those days are long gone mate. Never to be recaptured. On a personal level, I just want a team that tries it's best, plays attacking football and has pride in what it does. My favourite era's were 78-82 and 86-89 but I only want the spirit recaptured. I think the so called "Swansea way" has become our downfall. That's all people want. It's from a by gone era and our recent attempts to copy it have failed miserably as the players, managers, coaches and tactics are just not up to it. Like your last "Elvis" paragraph quire eloquently says.

We didn't spend a fortune during our rise up the leagues. It was down to superb recruiting and a manger with a distinctive style of play which was effective and gave the fans something to get excited about.

Not sure why wanting to adopt that approach once again is tragic.

Maybe it's not fashionable enough for the football hipsters of today.

Those days are long gone mate. Never to be recaptured. On a personal level, I just want a team that tries it's best, plays attacking football and has pride in what it does. My favourite era's were 78-82 and 86-89 but I only want the spirit recaptured. I think the so called "Swansea way" has become our downfall. That's all people want. It's from a by gone era and our recent attempts to copy it have failed miserably as the players, managers, coaches and tactics are just not up to it. Like your last "Elvis" paragraph quire eloquently says.
This Swansea way of playing football is a myth. It's some kind of fable which has been adopted since our days in the premier league.

I can't forget about it. I'm still reliving the lowlights, two hours later.
Why didn't Vip give that ball that came to him, unmarked eight yards out, a toepoke? Anything? And when it rolled to Eom, why didn't he take a touch and shoot? He had the whole feckin goal to aim at, but he took two or three touches and allowed the keeper to come out and tackle him. Might have been a penalty but the tv was inconclusive. The ref didn't think so anyway.
But that's not the point. Why didn't the fecker SHOOT??? Do we only sign players who don't have basic football skills and instincts? That's what it seems like, watching that shitshow.
OK, I've got to revisit my post in the interests of fairness after watching the 'highlights'. Eom didn't take two or three touches, he only took one touch but it was a bad one which took the ball too close to the keeper, inviting him to come for it and challenge. Was it a penalty? Still don't know.

OK, I've got to revisit my post in the interests of fairness after watching the 'highlights'. Eom didn't take two or three touches, he only took one touch but it was a bad one which took the ball too close to the keeper, inviting him to come for it and challenge. Was it a penalty? Still don't know.
It looked to me that the keeper won the ball, judging by the direction it travelled after the challenge

We didn't spend a fortune during our rise up the leagues. It was down to superb recruiting and a manger with a distinctive style of play which was effective and gave the fans something to get excited about.

Not sure why wanting to adopt that approach once again is tragic.

Maybe it's not fashionable enough for the football hipsters of today.
Don't think anyone would disagree with your first paragraph, I certainly wouldn't. But not quite sure what that's got to do with anything. I'm talking purely about the type of football we are trying to play on the pitch.

The reason we are tragic now is because we are trying to recapture something that worked 10-15 years ago, whilst the rest of football has long since moved on. When we were doing it, it was new for its time - most teams didn't have a clue how to high press, so we caught a lot of people out. In the 10-15 years since, football has moved on. Teams know exactly how to approach it when they play a tippy tappy side like us - you press as high as you can and you stop them playing out. We haven't responded. We're stuck in a time warp.

It's not about fashion or being a "hipster" it's about being honest about where we are as a football club.

Don't think anyone would disagree with your first paragraph, I certainly wouldn't. But not quite sure what that's got to do with anything. I'm talking purely about the type of football we are trying to play on the pitch.

The reason we are tragic now is because we are trying to recapture something that worked 10-15 years ago, whilst the rest of football has long since moved on. When we were doing it, it was new for its time - most teams didn't have a clue how to high press, so we caught a lot of people out. In the 10-15 years since, football has moved on. Teams know exactly how to approach it when they play a tippy tappy side like us - you press as high as you can and you stop them playing out. We haven't responded. We're stuck in a time warp.

It's not about fashion or being a "hipster" it's about being honest about where we are as a football club.

The most successful businesses have an operating model they stick with that evolves over time. The downfall of our success was when we moved away from that operating model and replaced it with having absolutely no model whatsoever.

This tippy tappy football some of our fan base are obsessed with is what is stuck in the past when the rest of the footballing world has moved on, that's the hipsters for you though, all about stats and having more possession.

Currently watching Brendans Celtics tearing Rangers a new arsehole, if wanting us to play like that is tragic, then so be it.

I'll take scoring more goals than the opposition every day of the week 👍🏼

Watched back that Vigs pass out to the Albion player a few times.... who exactly was he trying to pass too?

Another thought from yesterday.

During the warm up Margetson was giving Vigouroux a hard time and didn't seem happy with him. Even when there was an injury and the players were taking drinks he was still having a go.

Not a good sign when you have to train a keeper during a warm up and game
So far he's definitely a down grade from Rushworth. His ball distribution is gash, another LW buddy signing

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back