• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Official Homemade Curry Thread

Cooperman

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Do you like curry?

I like to experiment with home made curry although I have never quite reached the levels of a good takeaway despite using the onion sauce base mixture and ghee in my cooking. What are your own recipes that you recommend?

My ideal Friday night these days is cooking a good curry whilst partaking in a few Staropramen.

I chop up onion and fry it, blend in garlic and ginger then fry a bit more and add cinnamon, turmeric, chile, coriander, cumin and paprika mixed it all in and add tomato puree and water, let it simmer for about half an hour and had lemon juice, fenugreek and garam masala. Lovely

Give this one a try, it's a particular favourite.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/node/105278
If you like it with a bit more of a kick bung in a few more chillies to taste.👍

I am by no means a vegetarian, but the wife makes a sweet potato and roasted cauliflower madras that is out of this world

I bought a Pat Chapman curry bible off ebay the other day along with a Thai and 2 Japanese cook books

Jack2jack said:

Excellent, not seen that so will give it a try. Looks like a straightforward recipe.

Jack2jack said:

That's the one I normally use, as you say if you want it hotter then add more chillies :eek:

Due to dietary requirements in our house I make up a spice blend minus nightshades.

You can do it all with dried herb and leaves. Heap it all in to a glass jar and use whenever you fancy tandoori style - turmeric, cumin, coriander leaf, cilantro, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, black pepper, cloves, star anise, curry leaves, nutmeg, cardamom.

Chicken thighs works best. Chuck em in a big bowl, pour on plan Greek yoghurt and add a chopped onion. Pour on the spice mix until it’s all covered and leave in the fridge over night if you can afford the time. Cook in a metal oven dish under a hot grill, approx 15 mins.

To serve, chop up an onion and cucumber, pour over lime and a tiny bit of mint sauce. Also mixing in a teaspoon of mint sauce with Greek yoghurt goes nicely.

You can also add the spice blend to basmati rice and some cardamom pods to make pilau or slow cook chicken and rice to make biryanis.

Get a proper masala blend which is easy to get online (I like Rajah Masala for Chicken). Stick a good whack in a bowl. Blend with some lemon juice (vinegar works too), ginger and garlic. Mix in with yoghurt. Not sure how easy it is to get but I buy a litre bucket of Lancashire Farm (which is British Asian owned). Stick in a container with chicken (thigh is best). Leave in fridge overnight. Chop onions and add to oil. then bung in the rest and fry for about 10 mins. Add in a tin of tomatoes and a tin of water. Cover and good on low heat for an hour. Season to taste and add a little Garam Masala for the aromatics with lid off until as thick/dry as you wish. Bung in some coriander (I use frozen chopped leaves). I usually serve with basmati (Long basmati is even better) which I use a rice cooker for (20 quid Von Shef off eBay-perfect for 2/3 portions). Usually also have a paratha-get a pack of frozen and cook in a few mins on a hot frying or griddle pan. This is pretty close in taste and texture to a Bradford chicken curry.

I modify around this adding veg, creme fraiche, using other meats. A dash of red wine helps beef and pork and not adverse to adding a stock cube for a rich beef curry too.

jack_lord said:
I chop up onion and fry it, blend in garlic and ginger then fry a bit more and add cinnamon, turmeric, chile, coriander, cumin and paprika mixed it all in and add tomato puree and water, let it simmer for about half an hour and had lemon juice, fenugreek and garam masala. Lovely

Als kitchen on YouTube for an authentic Restaurant level homemade curry.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AlsKitchen

alltjack said:
I am by no means a vegetarian, but the wife makes a sweet potato and roasted cauliflower madras that is out of this world
Have you tried Butternut squash and chickpea, as an alternative, it's really good👍

Cooperman said:
Jack2jack said:

Excellent, not seen that so will give it a try. Looks like a straightforward recipe.
It is really tasty, takes me about an hour to cook, mind you I know it off by heart now. Step by step instructions are simple.
Hope you enjoy.👍

I do a mean Thai curry

Slow cooker - add chopped red onions, garlic cloves, grated ginger, chopped chicken, tablespoon of peanut butter, heaped teaspoon of Thai green paste, tin of coconut milk and allow to cook for 4 hours on high heat setting. Add hot flakes

For the next hour add strips of red and/or yellow pepper and tenderstem brocoli (take the lid off). Add chopped coriander when serving

waynekerr55 said:
I do a mean Thai curry

Slow cooker - add chopped red onions, garlic cloves, grated ginger, chopped chicken, tablespoon of peanut butter, heaped teaspoon of Thai green paste, tin of coconut milk and allow to cook for 4 hours on high heat setting. Add hot flakes

For the next hour add strips of red and/or yellow pepper and tenderstem brocoli (take the lid off). Add chopped coriander when serving

I guess that adds up to a lot of peppers over the course of an hour. How many would you say, 30? 40? 50 even?

Jack2jack said:
Cooperman said:
Jack2jack said:

It is really tasty, takes me about an hour to cook, mind you I know it off by heart now. Step by step instructions are simple.
Hope you enjoy.👍

Cheers, will let you know.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back