• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

British National Anthem

If I was going to the game, and felt that strongly, I'd just wait below for the tribute to finish before going to my seat

MrSwerve said:
Chief said:
Amazing how many people think its just a song and just accept everything thrown their way.

It’s not the time nor place for this stuff.

If you’re happy to give our club a bad name then carry on. A couple of boos in the stands won’t abolish our monarchy.

Why isn't it the time or the place? Charles and the firm are already making political appointments and maneuvers despite being in this period of mourning so now its fair game sorry. They haven't waited, why should we?

3swan said:
If I was going to the game, and felt that strongly, I'd just wait below for the tribute to finish before going to my seat

Which I'll do if it is just that - a tribute. A tribute would be a minutes silence to the deceased queen.

GSTK isn't a tribute because he hasn't reigned yet - that's a pledge of allegiance and measure of control for the future.

Again people seem to be deliberately mixing the two separate events up.

"Again people seem to be deliberately mixing the two separate events up."

No mention of Charles or King

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swansea-city-mark-passing-queen-elizabeth-ii

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-efl-schedule-to-resume/

Was it music or words to the Anthem that will be played at other grounds?

Whatever the argument or counterargument I just hope it happens in the right manner tonight

3swan said:

Whatever the argument or counterargument I just hope it happens in the right manner tonight

Yes indeed, no mention of an anthem, I don't see why it's on thread specifically relating to the UK anthem.

Well that's subjective, the right manner in my opinion would be to boo the hell out of that anthem.

MrSwerve said:
Amazing how much people get wound up by a bloody song. If you don’t agree with it, stand there in silence, or stay sitting down if you’re really that against GSTK…why on earth would you feel the need to boo it.

Shut up for a minute or two, don’t damage our club and watch the damn game.

Amazing how much people get wound up by bloody booing. If you dont agree with it, stand there and sing anyway. If you're really that much of a bootlicker, why would you feel the need to sing it when you are going to watch a game of football.

I assume that all the same people who cried "I'm not racist - I just don't like politics in football. I go to watch the game" over players taking the knee are making the same points today about both a minute's silence for a dead political figure and what is essentially a political song.

ARQS said:
MrSwerve said:
Amazing how much people get wound up by a bloody song. If you don’t agree with it, stand there in silence, or stay sitting down if you’re really that against GSTK…why on earth would you feel the need to boo it.

Amazing how much people get wound up by bloody booing. If you dont agree with it, stand there and sing anyway. If you're really that much of a bootlicker, why would you feel the need to sing it when you are going to watch a game of football.

I assume that all the same people who cried "I'm not racist - I just don't like politics in football. I go to watch the game" over players taking the knee are making the same points today about both a minute's silence for a dead political figure and what is essentially a political song.

Yes a fair few caught out this week, no BLM (or any awareness of racism gestures that followed that didn't bear those 3 letters) but definitely GSTK is fine.

KeEp PoLiTiCs OuT oF fOoTbAlL

Yea until its a cause you don't agree with.

ARQS said:
MrSwerve said:

I never have and never will sing GSTQ/K...which is fine. Booing an old lady's death who has been one of the most important monarchs in our history doesn't show any class at all.

Chief said:
3swan said:

Yes indeed, no mention of an anthem, I don't see why it's on thread specifically relating to the UK anthem.

Well that's subjective, the right manner in my opinion would be to boo the hell out of that anthem.

It’s not subjective, booing another country’s anthem is pig ignorant. Full stop. I wouldn’t dream of singing it but wouldn’t boo it anymore than I would have booed the French anthem when it was played before our game after the terrorist attacked in Paris.

I don’t imagine for one minute the club will play it anyway. They’d be mad to do so as people would prefer to drag our club’s name through the mud than to shut up for two minutes. Although Sheffield fans will sing it and it will be booed then I guess.

The reason I was glad the fixture was cancelled on Saturday is GSTK would have definitely been played as we were away and it would have been carnage,

If they did play it, the correct behaviour is to shut up for it, have it played in absolute silence, then for the whole stadium to sing our own anthem as loudly as possible. That would be far more powerful than booing like morons.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Chief said:

It’s not subjective, booing another country’s anthem is pig ignorant. Full stop. I wouldn’t dream of singing it but wouldn’t boo it anymore than I would have booed the French anthem when it was played before our game after the terrorist attacked in Paris.

I don’t imagine for one minute the club will play it anyway. They’d be mad to do so as people would prefer to drag our club’s name through the mud than to shut up for two minutes. Although Sheffield fans will sing it and it will be booed then I guess.

The reason I was glad the fixture was cancelled on Saturday is GSTK would have definitely been played as we were away and it would have been carnage,

If they did play it, the correct behaviour is to shut up for it, have it played in absolute silence, then for the whole stadium to sing our own anthem as loudly as possible. That would be far more powerful than booing like morons.
If they play GSTK, itll be drowned out by Hymns and Arias. If the club don't think/realise that then we have some serious brain fcks in charge.

sainthelens said:
Londonlisa2001 said:

If they play GSTK, itll be drowned out by Hymns and Arias. If the club don't think/realise that then we have some serious brain fcks in charge.

Hymns and Arias is not the appropriate response anyway.

It would be our anthem. Which should be sung after silence for theirs.

Bloody hell. I’ve sat in football stadiums where the Russian anthem is played (a great anthem btw). And no one bats an eyelid.
Booing GSTK doesn’t further the cause of either republicanism or independence. It just makes our club look bad. If our supporters don’t realise that then we have some serious brain f*cks in our ground.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Chief said:

Well it's interesting that you refer to it as another country's anthem - that removes the excuse some are making that we are all British and should all respect it.

And it's a national anthem in name only - it's a monologue to a rather strange, unsavoury character who has recently been told he's the latest beneficiary of a title (through birth) that entitles him untold privileges and wealth (partially siphoned off from us).

And being aware of history, politics and the symbolism of that anthem is the complete opposite of ignorant. The people who'll sit there quietly while it's played like nodding dogs (the types who say Boris did his best) are the ignorant ones brushing things under carpet and kicking the can down the road.

Londonlisa2001 said:
sainthelens said:

Hymns and Arias is not the appropriate response anyway.

It would be our anthem. Which should be sung after silence for theirs.

Bloody hell. I’ve sat in football stadiums where the Russian anthem is played (a great anthem btw). And no one bats an eyelid.
Booing GSTK doesn’t further the cause of either republicanism or independence. It just makes our club look bad. If our supporters don’t realise that then we have some serious brain f*cks in our ground.

You're pretending that GSTK would have been played as part of a sporting international contest now to represent the country's of the two participants. Which is an entirely separate occasion and circumstance.

That's not what was planned or what could have occurred tonight.

Whether you are pro or against The Monarchy-I'm ambivalent, showing some respect for anyone who has passed after a lifetime of service with either a minutes silence or applause, is a basic mark of human dignity. Similarly, if GSTK is aired, booing it is disrespectful of our closest neighbour. Many of our fans and players are either English or have English relatives. I would expect anyone to respect our anthem if played for any ceremonial reason whether in a sporting contest or otherwise. Show some class not a massive chip on your shoulders. We have some very sad keyboard warriors.

I see Liverpool are terrified their fans are going to boo the anthem tonight (they have form for this apparently), so it's not just our fans who have objections.

For me, have a minute's silence of course out of respect for someone who has died (although it will probably become applause because there's always a few morons) and don't play the anthem (which has nothing to do with the Queen's death, so is not needed to pay respect to her). Job done.

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back