• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Martin Speaks

The game didn't rest on Cabango having a pass intercepted, then Bennett getting sent off and them scoring a penalty as a result. The game was a bit one sided. I wouldn't say we have a bad squad. I would say we need to change our style of play. In that position, away from home and needing to cut out costly mistakes, Cabango should welly it and be encouraged to do it more. He has other strengths to play on.

"I wouldn't say we have a bad squad"

I'd say it's pretty mediocre and lacks guts.

Jacket said:
While Stoke deserve credit for the way they nullified us completely, and showed far superior physical fitness to us to completely obliterate our passing game by closing us down so quickly in a way that very few teams in this division have been able to do - West Brom tried a similar approach and fell flat for example, you have to say that Martin got it completely wrong in his team selection, his tactics and everything.

If you can see that a team is trying to pressurise the keeper as he passes it out from the back, to the degree that we're hardly getting out of our half, surely we should try and vary it, in much the same way as it was thrown out of the window when we went down to 10 on Saturday. We only got 40% of the possession last night, how much of that was passes between the keeper and the defenders and back to him?

I presume the defensive selections in midfield were due to the way Stoke did exactly the same in the home fixture, but let's have this said - Fulton and Smith should be a combination we never see again.

Fulton and a traffic cone would have more attacking intent.
At least a traffic cone would have tried blocking the path of a player running straight at it.
And if a beach ball can score a goal...????

I'm still in the area (getting a rougher, wider area, more general direction nowadays, every game,) of keeping Martin until we get to to the end of the season- defo can plan before the play offs this year.
But I'm still in the same place of this pass it out from the back no matter the situation. There are times it is just too dangerous and allows the opposition to mount attack after attack after attack.
Sooner or later it leads to a goal- Fulham and Mitrotwat are going to love it!!
At least in the Stroke game, we did use hoof (more in blind panic than planning IMHO) to clear the defensive lines.
Trouble is, the ball was hoofed infield so giving us no chance to regroup and get back in shape.

Grimes taking set pieces is a waste, as is these quick free kicks. That hasn't changed in the last 3 or 4 seasons.
May as well just give the ball to an opposition player and allow him to take it
Tactics? Bad training techniques? Favouritism?
Doesn't matter if it's ok in training, it hasn't worked in practice for more than 3 years.
And any manager should have picked up on that. We can see it, when can't they?

sainthelens said:
Ross said:
Thanks for telling me how I think lol. Honestly, what on earth were you expecting? An obliterated squad, owners not willing to invest and a new manager 4 days before the season started. Who, in your humble and patient opinion, could have done better? Changing the whole philosophy and playing squad is a process that doesn’t happen over night. If we’re in the same situation this time next year then I’ll be questioning the manager, but to question him after 6 months with all he’s faced so far is absolutely ludicrous.

Who would you have replace him out of interest?

After 45 yrs of seeing just about everything with us, yes...we had no pre season, yes...give the manager time, but contrary to what you say the squad is not obliterated. In my humble opinion I actually think we have some really decent players. You have to be totally blind not to see that he is struggling to improve these guys. There have now been way to many games where we look totally shot/shapeless and last Saturday apart....not motivated. Couple of months back I was prepared to give him the benefit of any doubt, but things are in no way improving. I want him to do well honestly as he talks a good game. Sadly he's being found out .

The squad was obliterated. How many players in the squad at Wembley last May are still here?

PSumbler said:
Ross said:
Thanks for telling me how I think lol. Honestly, what on earth were you expecting? An obliterated squad, owners not willing to invest and a new manager 4 days before the season started. Who, in your humble and patient opinion, could have done better? Changing the whole philosophy and playing squad is a process that doesn’t happen over night. If we’re in the same situation this time next year then I’ll be questioning the manager, but to question him after 6 months with all he’s faced so far is absolutely ludicrous.

Who would you have replace him out of interest?

Anyone who knows me knows I am no fan of the owners but the line that they haven't invested in the squad this season simply isn't true.

Ok maybe I should have worded it differently and said the owners aren’t willing to invest much. Of course they’ve invested in the squad, I am very much aware that we’ve signed players this year. Very weird to pull that one little thing out of everything I wrote lol.

Anyway, nice to see everyone who knee-jerk reacted in this thread seems to have come round to Martin (after 2 wins lol - shows how fickle most fans are)

Ross said:
Anyway, nice to see everyone who knee-jerk reacted in this thread seems to have come round to Martin (after 2 wins lol - shows how fickle most fans are)

We all hope you're right about Martin mate, but we've had a few good runs of form this season where we think we've turned the corner, then it all falls apart.

It's great to be 4 games unbeaten and he'll be forever remembered for the Cardiff result, but let's not crown him just yet. The next 3 games in particular are all very winnable, but so was Birmingham at home and they should have beaten us.

JackSomething said:
Ross said:

We all hope you're right about Martin mate, but we've had a few good runs of form this season where we think we've turned the corner, then it all falls apart.

It's great to be 4 games unbeaten and he'll be forever remembered for the Cardiff result, but let's not crown him just yet. The next 3 games in particular are all very winnable, but so was Birmingham at home and they should have beaten us.

Yeah I walked away from the Liberty after the Birmingham game thinking I can't watch much more of this so I'm still not convinced.
Good signs in the last 2 games undoubtedly but we had a good spell before Christmas & then regressed.
Hopefully it'll be a strong finish to the season & things will be looking up for next year.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back