• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Meltdown Thread

Swanjaxs said:
PSumbler said:
Someone asked yesterday whether we would be where we are this season if crowds were allowed in and for me simply the answer is no.

The ease at which the crowd would jump on the backs of both the manager and the players would just add to the pressure and we have won games this season that I don't believe we would have had there been a crowd. Last season was a good example of this as our away record up to crowds stopping was better than our home record and that - I think - proves the point that I am trying to make.

So the answer to the question is that I think if we don't go up Cooper will stay but as crowds return he probably won't stay long as people get on his back. And to be fair the chances of us sacking him after (as an example) two play off defeats are quite remote and probably rightly so.

It was suggested somewhere that we have assembled one of the strongest squads in the Championship yet five minutes later we have no real options and we don't have the players we need. That was the very same poster making both those points. That is why - for some people - Cooper will never do right for doing wrong and even if we went up those same people would want him sacked by September.

And I say that from a position where I would say that I am not a fan, he has much to learn, but it is very difficult to argue with his record in almost 80 league games in charge of Swansea City
But the fact is we do have a strong squad, the frustration comes because Cooper is over reliant on the same core of players week in week out.
We have been playing 3 games a week all season, use the squad, and when the pitches start firming up towards the end of the season we should be in a good place to push on for automatic 👍

You've come up a theory there and becoming quite a popular one on the forums. But if you look at it closer, it doesn't really stand up:
1) all our competitors in this division are reliant on the same core of players. Brentford, Norwich, Watford, the scum, play their same key players every week when available.
2) he did make 1 change besides the enforced ones.
3) Who else could have come in to play? The defence was already disrupted by injuries, up front after the injuries to Morris&Cullen were stuck too as Cooper said this week Whittaker isn't yet up to speed. Smith maybe could have come in? Would he alone have made a noticeable difference?
4) Presumably you think he should change things to stop the team getting tired? But that doesn't stack up either really as that starting 11 was strong enough to create chance after chance, force 3 penalty shouts, get their wingback sent off, miss an open goal, force several superb saves.

A lot people are trying to apply the same criticisms they've been tabling at Cooper for a while now to this match, but if they'd watched the match, its obvious they simply aren't relevant to this particular game.

Chief said:
Swanjaxs said:
But the fact is we do have a strong squad, the frustration comes because Cooper is over reliant on the same core of players week in week out.
We have been playing 3 games a week all season, use the squad, and when the pitches start firming up towards the end of the season we should be in a good place to push on for automatic 👍

You've come up a theory there and becoming quite a popular one on the forums. But if you look at it closer, it doesn't really stand up:
1) all our competitors in this division are reliant on the same core of players. Brentford, Norwich, Watford, the scum, play their same key players every week when available.
3) Who else could have come in to play? The defence was already disrupted by injuries, up front after the injuries to Morris&Cullen were stuck too as Cooper said this week Whittaker isn't yet up to speed. Smith maybe could have come in? Would he alone have made a noticeable difference?
4) Presumably you think he should change things to stop the team getting tired? But that doesn't stack up either really as that starting 11 was strong enough to create chance after chance, force 3 penalty shouts, get their wingback sent off, miss an open goal, force several superb saves.

A lot people are trying to apply the same criticisms they've been tabling at Cooper for a while now to this match, but if they'd watched the match, its obvious they simply aren't relevant to this particular game.

Absolute bolloxs, we were blowing out of our asses after an hour and still we let the game drift by, also, I'm not advocating a raft of changes every match, but just to use, what is in my opinion, a very useful squad, again 3 games a week since the start of the season, think about it.

Swanjaxs said:
Chief said:

Absolute bolloxs, we were blowing out of our asses after an hour and still we let the game drift by, also, I'm not advocating a raft of changes every match, but just to use, what is in my opinion, a very useful squad, again 3 games a week since the start of the season, think about it.
I agree, also this not up to speed crap, if he’s not up to speed leave him the house.if he’s in the squad he’s ready. 20 yr old Whittaker is dying to get on the pitch as are all the subs but Cooper does not trust them. He should be making 1 or 2 changes every game to keep them all sharp

I think the answer is simply not to invest so much emotion into the team and to just accept the reality as it is. If we go up great if we don't then great. If getting promoted the Shangri-la we all crave.

My criticism of Cooper is that he just will not make changes when the game is in progress if it is clear from how things are going that they are neccessary.
It was obvious to me yesterday and I imagine everyone else that for about 10-15 minutes after we scored, we let the tempo drop and we completely lost midfield. If you look at the matchday comments, I said at this point that Dhanda was completely ineffectual and he should be changed for Fulton. Coops does nothing. Five minutes later they equalise, and five minutes later he makes the change I suggested. Too feckin late, Coops, too feckin late. Find the courage to make timely changes, or it's the playoffs for us - if we're lucky.

Who knows what goes on in Coops head. But wondering if he's now caught in 2 minds. With an element of not quite trusting in changes cos the 11 he starts have got us to where we now sit ( Hourahan the exception) and wanting to push with them for a top 2 spot or....should we now accept that it's the play offs and prepare for them with making those changes.
Just a thought.

There’s 45 points left to play for. We need 30 to stand a great statistical chance of auto. We shouldn’t settle for anything less than getting those points.

The biggest thing for me is that Steve doesn't manage the game very well, he sets his stall out b4 the game and if we are winning great but if we go behind its like he has no clue, contrast that with Pearson who saw within 40 minutes of the first half that it wasn't working, made a decisive change and his team were transformed for the second half.

monmouth said:
There’s 45 points left to play for. We need 30 to stand a great statistical chance of auto. We shouldn’t settle for anything less than getting those points.

Spot on mate!
Use the squad correctly, it's not about dropping players, it's about keeping them fresh, I keep banging on about 3 games a week since the start of the season, but it's taking its toll, its plain as day.
It's still all to play for and I for one haven't given up on a top two finish

The trouble with the championship, and its the same for most teams is a lot of the players are promoting themselves out of a job, so are they all giving all they can, the teams with the better players who are already equipped for the premier league like Leeds were are more motivated, looks like an auto spot is gone now, I don't feel good about the play offs
Happy sunday

Pegojack said:
My criticism of Cooper is that he just will not make changes when the game is in progress if it is clear from how things are going that they are neccessary.
It was obvious to me yesterday and I imagine everyone else that for about 10-15 minutes after we scored, we let the tempo drop and we completely lost midfield. If you look at the matchday comments, I said at this point that Dhanda was completely ineffectual and he should be changed for Fulton. Coops does nothing. Five minutes later they equalise, and five minutes later he makes the change I suggested. Too feckin late, Coops, too feckin late. Find the courage to make timely changes, or it's the playoffs for us - if we're lucky.

Yep, until half time Dhanda had been busy but ineffectual and his pass success ate must have been very low. I didn’t suggest a replacement by name but was calling fo a change, as were many others were, at half time.
Their first goal and subsequent drop off from us was all about Cooper failing to change personnel, incapable of changing his system and his perennial belief hat we should defend a one nil lead and soak up their response.
TBF their second and third had nothing to do with personnel just extremely poor goalkeeping.
I’ll be interested to see if the ‘drop Cabango’ gang will be calling for Chelsea’s Guehi to be dropped for Stoke.

Swanjaxs said:
Chief said:

Apologies but what exactly is bollox there? We may have been tireder second half, but to say they were that tired is false in my opinion. We still restricted them 1 actual shot on target besides their goals (2 of couldn't possibly be attributed to tiredness). We even had enough energy to create at least 2 golden chances after that time.

Cooper does change it up though? He did make an unforced change yesterday. So you think he should change even more? Despite our injuries and players not being up to speed?

Madridjack said:
Swanjaxs said:
I agree, also this not up to speed crap, if he’s not up to speed leave him the house.if he’s in the squad he’s ready. 20 yr old Whittaker is dying to get on the pitch as are all the subs but Cooper does not trust them. He should be making 1 or 2 changes every game to keep them all sharp

Well Cooper sees him in training every day and said this week that Whittaker isn't yet up to speed. Not sure why there'd be cause to discount those words or why he'd lie?

Again, Cooper did make a change didn't he?

Chief said:
Swanjaxs said:

Apologies but what exactly is bollox there? We may have been tireder second half, but to say they were that tired is false in my opinion. We still restricted them 1 actual shot on target besides their goals (2 of couldn't possibly be attributed to tiredness). We even had enough energy to create at least 2 golden chances after that time.

Cooper does change it up though? He did make an unforced change yesterday. So you think he should change even more? Despite our injuries and players not being up to speed?

In a word yes, yes he should change more often.
We have in my opinion enough strength in depth to rotate more, Bristol City were there for the taking yesterday, in all honesty we should have been out of sight by half time.
But the longer the game went on the clearer it became we were shot, he made his first sub on 78 minutes, way to late.
Again, I'm not advocating changing half the side every game, but surely you can see we need to use the very useful squad (in my opinion) we have at our disposal.

Nocountryforoldjack said:
The biggest thing for me is that Steve doesn't manage the game very well, he sets his stall out b4 the game and if we are winning great but if we go behind its like he has no clue, contrast that with Pearson who saw within 40 minutes of the first half that it wasn't working, made a decisive change and his team were transformed for the second half.

But then when you look at the facts in games where he's drastically changed it, like Derby boro hudds, it didn't work. We've gained far more points from sticking not twisting.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back