• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Official Barnsley v Swansea City Match Thread

What will the result be against Barnsley?

• Barnsley win

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Swans win

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
Barnsley v Swansea City
Oakwell Stadium, Barnsley
Saturday January 16 2021, 7.45pm Kick Off

This match will be broadcast on both Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football

View attachment sm_skysportsmainevent.gifView attachment skysportsfootball.gif

It is a bit of a rarity for the Swans next weekend as we return to the important matter of our promotion push but we do so with a 7.45pm Saturday kick off in South Yorkshire against Barnsley.

It's the first time the Swans have been scheduled to play at this time and whilst it would normally be a great time for maybe some pub football watching, lockdown restrictions mean that The Masked Singer on ITV will have to take a back seat to Saturday evening football as we look to continue our push for the Premier League.

The FA Cup tie against Stevenage will have been seen as a little distraction as we come head to head with Barnsley for the second time in four weeks after we beat them 2-0 at the Liberty on December 19 (Match report here and the start of another double header away from home as we travel to Blackburn on Tuesday 19th.

As ever on Planet Swans we have for you some of the most comprehensive pre-match coverage in our matchday thread that will bring you all we need to know over the next few days as well as all the chat during the match together with every post match follow up you would wish to read (and maybe even more!)

A cracking chippy before the game but missed out on the Birch pint.
Barnsley strong at the end of games recently. Take a point but 3 would be nicer.

LAST TIME OUT AT OAKWELL
Barnsley 1 Swansea City 1
Sky Bet Championship
19th October 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Xf8uCh7n8

LAST TIME OUT AT THE LIBERTY STADIUM
Swansea City 2 Barnsley 0
Sky Bet Championship
19th December 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC438ia12R8

LAST TIME OUT FOR BARNSLEY
Barnsley 2 Tranmere Rovers 0
FA Cup 3rd Round
10th January 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4spmP9o0hA

LAST TIME OUT FOR SWANSEA
Stevenage 0 Swansea City 2
FA Cup 3rd Round
9th January 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4XhmocSJIo

LAST TIME IN THE LEAGUE - BARNSLEY
Norwich City 1 Barnsley 0
02 January 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_50TD6M0v4

LAST TIME IN THE LEAGUE - SWANSEA
Swansea City 2 Watford 1
02 January 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc6K7jjGarQ

I remember the 3-1 win in the League Cup in 2012. Mark Gower came on for one of his last appearances for the team (only played in 3 games that season before leaving) and I remember deciding to keep a tally of his stats because someone on Planetswans was bound to slate him.

Sure enough someone did that evening, claiming he'd given the ball away loads after coming on. I can't remember who it was (definitely not Perch for once), but they got very offended when I supplied his passing stats, demonstrating he only actually failed to complete 1 pass. :lol:

Bournemouth dropping points tonight is good news, as is Brentford having games off because of Covid. They could end up with a big fixture pileup at the end of the season.

JackFish said:
Bournemouth dropping points tonight is good news, as is Brentford having games off because of Covid. They could end up with a big fixture pileup at the end of the season.

Said exactly the same to my eldest, great innit.

A very positive result for us last night - was expecting us to drop out of the top 2 especially after Bournemouth went ahead.

Meet the referee

View attachment Jeremy Simpson.JPG

Saturday's referee is Jeremy Simpson

Jeremy Simpson will take charge of the Swans for the first time this season after he was appointed as the referee for Saturday evening's clash at Barnsley.

With 31 yellow cards and 2 red cards in 10 previous Championship appearances this season (both reds coming in the same game between Sheffield Wednesday and Bournemouth) we can expect some card waving in the Sky encounter in what will be his first time in charge of the Swans since December 2019.

That game was against Blackburn in a 1-1 draw at the Liberty, an entertaining encounter that saw both sides have a player dismissed (Tom Carroll for the Swans and Bradley Dack for Blackburn) and left Steve Cooper in no doubt that the referee missed two penalty decisions for his side.

“I’ve seen the penalty decision back for handball and it’s just a massive error from the referee,” Cooper told Wales Online.

View attachment Simpson Swans.jpg

“Because he knows he made the error he’s then made the poor red card decisions and he’s lost his composure really. I didn’t think either was a red card because I’ve looked at them back.

“He’s made four major decisions and he’s got them fundamentally wrong. I’m only being honest. I am criticising him, but I’m saying it as I thought at the time and I’ve seen the decisions back.

“I’ve been to see him as well. He knew the ball hit his (Dack’s) hand so he said that but his hand isn’t next to him, it’s out. I get it if there are loads of players around him, but it’s travelled 15 yards before it has hit his hand. “He is going to be embarrassed when he sees it back on TV.

“He’ll probably be refereeing in the conference now. I think he lost composure because he knew he’d made some big errors. He was nervous. I was very respectable afterwards because I knew he was uncomfortable with his night.

“He’s a professional and I want him to progress, but we have to be honest and unfortunately he’s going to get marked down.”

View attachment Simpson Swans 2.jpg

Opposite number Tony Mowbray agreed with some of the comments made by Cooper "Dack's second yellow is embarrassing. He just stuck his backside into the lad.

"It felt like it was just evening things up a little bit - he (referee Simpson) wasn't sure he'd got the first sending off right."

View attachment Dack sent off.JPG

There’s a fair bit of snow oop thar. More forecast for Saturday as well as very low temperatures. Hope the bus can make it safely!

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back