• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Grimes

The last time his contract was running down he got into the last six months where other clubs were able to talk to him and agree terms on a free transfer. There was no serious interest then either. Somehow he managed to wangle that into a payrise and extended deal.
He's Swansea's very own version of Rasputin.

Not only that though:

When sides get relegated from the PL and come down with loads of parachute money, they usually look to sign a Championship-level "sure thing", a seasoned performer who knows the league inside out, someone they can hang their hat on to help get them promoted straight back. You'd think Grimes would surely fit that profile, nearly 300 games now.

6 years since we came down. All that money burning a hole in clubs much bigger than us (like Sheffield United, West Brom etc), scouting reports aplenty, and they've never even had a sniff at Grimes. Think the closest we've come was some very sketchy interest from Fulham about 4 years ago, but even then they never put in a formal bid.

It tells you everything you need to know about how he's regarded outside of Swansea.
Also, the midfielders are so piss poor at the club that not playing Grimes would leave us with a 30 minute Joe Allen or Fulton. They could give Abdulai a shot in there . But i do agree with a lot on here , that if he was really that good someone would have come calling for him. I mean Flynn Downes was here for 1 season.

Leeds sussed him out pretty quickly. When he’s asked to actually play facing forward at pace, he’s done.

Fulton would give his role a shot and, quite probably, would look a much better player for it.

Also, the midfielders are so piss poor at the club that not playing Grimes would leave us with a 30 minute Joe Allen or Fulton. They could give Abdulai a shot in there . But i do agree with a lot on here , that if he was really that good someone would have come calling for him. I mean Flynn Downes was here for 1 season.
Great example. You could see from the first half a dozen appearances that Downes was our best DM since Leon. Class act.

Other clubs are not stupid. These days they all have a highly professionalised scouting department, they all crunch the numbers, they know everything there is to know about individuals and teams. They have all concluded that Grimes is an average player in an average team.

His sole redeeming feature is fitness and availability, but clubs will never come in for a player just on the strength of that alone.

Last edited:
So reading from above, the consensus is that he’s best dropped.
Why is that none of the managers we’ve had since relegation have binned him?
The crux of our problems is the midfield of which Grimes is the central fulcrum
Because this club can't or won't spend money on quality players so we have to rely on low grade footballers like Grimes, Cullen, cooper ect.

He is still only 29. Could have to put up with another 3 - 5 years of it, even longer if we get the drop

Have said for the last few years, Grimes shouldn't be Captain.
Wycombe, where players were out for an evening stroll around the stadium, Grimes not leading, geeing up players, is the perfect example of why not.
That's not the first or I believe the last time that Grimes fails as a Captain.
Him and Fulton should never play in the same midfield- play becomes totally static.
We have gone from being midfield rich, to midfield bankrupt/ in debt.

Think LW really needs to be brave and drop Grimes for a couple of games. Can always bring him on as a sub.
We need a new playing captain- leave Grimes as the club captain. We've done it before with 2 captains.

Have said for the last few years, Grimes shouldn't be Captain.
Wycombe, where players were out for an evening stroll around the stadium, Grimes not leading, geeing up players, is the perfect example of why not.
That's not the first or I believe the last time that Grimes fails as a Captain.
Him and Fulton should never play in the same midfield- play becomes totally static.
We have gone from being midfield rich, to midfield bankrupt/ in debt.

Think LW really needs to be brave and drop Grimes for a couple of games. Can always bring him on as a sub.
We need a new playing captain- leave Grimes as the club captain. We've done it before with 2 captains.
No idea why he's captain. The lack of leadership on the pitch is alarming.

To many players getting a free ride. It's all to friendly between them. Watch when we concede, they just pick the ball up and stroll to the centre circle.

I can't remember the last time I saw players calling each other out let alone our captain given anyone a rollocking.

They do have a nice huddle on the pitch before each game though, literally a few minutes after they've all been in the changing room together. I'd love to know what they say in those huddles:

Grimes: "So remember the tactics lads, pass the ball to me"
"Ok Matt, how do we know where you'll be?"
"I'll be where I always am, standing just behind Ben and Harry"

They do have a nice huddle on the pitch before each game though, literally a few minutes after they've all been in the changing room together. I'd love to know what they say in those huddles:

Grimes: "So remember the tactics lads, pass the ball to me"
"Ok Matt, how do we know where you'll be?"
"I'll be where I always am, standing just behind Ben and Harry"
Almond milk lattes on me if we win.

Said it before and say it again, the amount of leaders we had when we got promoted was a luxury, we had Dorus, Tate, Monk, Williams, Rangel, Britton, Pratley all easily could have captained the side and all showed qualities with leadership, we literally have none of that now.

He's a wet nurse for a team that isn't very good. It happens every game when players pass it him instead of making their own decisive forward move or forward pass.

Grimes is the receptacle of the team's collective inability to break the line.

It's a horrendous analogy but they cleave his comfort in the same way a baby cleaves the maternal nipple for comfort and safety.

The most infuriating thing for me is on the odd occasion when he's actually in midfield, he'll sprint towards whichever defender has the ball, they'll pass it to him and without even taking a look over his shoulder to see if he can turn, he'll pass it straight back to them first time. No doubt thinking "that's another completed pass"

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back