• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Our Next Manager

• Thread starter Darran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 308
  • Views: Views 28,761
Magic_Michu said:
The person I know in the club says terms have been agreed with Chris Davies… just sorting things out with Spurs… should all be done by the weekend.

Happy days, nothing in the Maloney odds tumbling then.

Swansea93 said:
Happy days, nothing in the Maloney odds tumbling then.

It’s such a small betting market that £50 on Maloney can move the odds massively.

Magic_Michu said:
The person I know in the club says terms have been agreed with Chris Davies… just sorting things out with Spurs… should all be done by the weekend.

Let's hope it works because if he doesn't sort out the squad we could well go down this season.

Magic_Michu said:

Guessing there's some movement needed to add backroom staff as well? Imagine he will want an assistant that he knows as well as maybe one other if not keeping both Kris O Leary and Sheehan. Did any other staff leave with Duff like recruitment or sports science or analysts that would need to be filled as well?

SwansInTheLake said:
Guessing there's some movement needed to add backroom staff as well? Imagine he will want an assistant that he knows as well as maybe one other if not keeping both Kris O Leary and Sheehan. Did any other staff leave with Duff like recruitment or sports science or analysts that would need to be filled as well?
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Toshack come in with him.

Swansea93 said:
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Toshack come in with him.

Problem with double acts like that, there needs to be guy who has the final say. Unless they really know each other/get on...it won't work.

sainthelens said:
Problem with double acts like that, there needs to be guy who has the final say. Unless they really know each other/get on...it won't work.

Yeah good point, I’m going off assuming they know each other from their time here together, maybe Pascoe will come out of hibernation.

Wigan Today stating he says he knows nothing about it.

True? Who knows?

Swansea93 said:
Yeah good point, I’m going off assuming they know each other from their time here together, maybe Pascoe will come out of hibernation.

When Brendan went to Lerpwl, he took with him Chris Davies, Colin Pascoe and Glen Driscoll. No idea what Pascoe is doing now. Driscoll followed Brendan to Celtic and Leicester with Davies, but is now back at Celtic. Not sure if any of them have any desire to 'get the band back together' with Davies here. I assume not and all have moved on and he'll look to bring in fresh faces (if he's actually coming here..)

FearOfAJackPlanet said:
When Brendan went to Lerpwl, he took with him Chris Davies, Colin Pascoe and Glen Driscoll. No idea what Pascoe is doing now. Driscoll followed Brendan to Celtic and Leicester with Davies, but is now back at Celtic. Not sure if any of them have any desire to 'get the band back together' with Davies here. I assume not and all have moved on and he'll look to bring in fresh faces (if he's actually coming here..)

Sure I heard that Pascoe has a burger van. Or putting the cones in its parking spot...I dunno.

sainthelens said:
Sure I heard that Pascoe has a burger van. Or putting the cones in its parking spot...I dunno.

According to wiki he works in a Cotton Traders in Rhyl, mad.

Swansea93 said:
According to wiki he works in a Cotton Traders in Rhyl, mad.

😂

He's having an easy life, helping out with his lad who is into a lot of things......business out in Spain, renting the Bar Gallois down Aberavon beach front etc.

Can't see him wanting a return, happy with the quiet life and out of the picture.

Amused by the Cotton Traders bit, I searched google and found an article from 2021 in The Athletic about him: https://theathletic.com/2381816/2021/02/12/colin-pascoe-from-coaching-in-the-bernabeu-to-owning-the-welcome-to-town-pub/

For those without a subscription, I've copied and pasted it below; decent read:

The bars of Madrid are rammed with Liverpool supporters.

It’s November 2014 and excitement abounds. The club are back in the Champions League after a five-year absence.

On the walk to the Bernabeu a recent addition to the travelling Kop’s catalogue of songs booms across the Spanish capital.

“Oh, his name is Colin Pascoe.

“He puts the cones out for the team.

“He wears shorts when it is fucking freezing.

“We don’t care ‘cos his legs are a dream.”

It was repeated again and again.

Colin Pascoe was Brendan Rodgers’ assistant manager. The Welshman’s humility and humour — coupled with his penchant for wearing shorts 365 days a year — endeared him to fans.

That night in Madrid he was barking orders from the touchline, trying to make himself heard above the din of an 80,000-strong crowd, in a bid to negate the threat of Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.

On a daily basis at Melwood, he was tasked with putting the likes of Steven Gerrard, Philippe Coutinho, Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling through their paces. Until the previous summer, he had also worked with Luis Suarez, whom he described as “fantastic, a maverick”.

However, within seven months of that infamous Champions League group defeat to Carlo Ancelotti’s Real Madrid, Pascoe was sacked.

An end-of-season review conducted by owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) into why a dismal 2014-15 campaign had descended into chaos with the 6-1 defeat to Stoke City on the final day led to both Pascoe and first-team coach Mike Marsh being relieved of their duties.

Rodgers replaced them with Sean O’Driscoll and Gary McAllister and promoted Liverpool under-16s coach Pep Lijnders to the senior set-up. The Northern Irishman limped on for a further four months before being shown the door himself. He was doomed the moment that Jurgen Klopp made it clear to the Anfield hierarchy that he was ready to cut short his sabbatical after leaving Borussia Dortmund.

Both Rodgers and Marsh swiftly bounced back. Rodgers revived his reputation with a clean sweep of domestic honours at Celtic before returning to the Premier League with Leicester City where over the past two years he has continued to showcase his abilities as an elite coach.

Marsh was soon back in work as part of the backroom staff at Huddersfield Town. He then helped Steve Cooper guide England Under-17s to World Cup glory in India. He is now assistant to Cooper at promotion-chasing Championship outfit Swansea City.

But what about Pascoe? More than five and a half years after leaving Liverpool, he hasn’t had another job in football.

The 55-year-old hasn’t spoken publicly since he left about his time at Liverpool and the hurt caused by being pushed aside. Interview requests have always been politely turned down. He told close friends that he found out he had been sacked in June 2015 after his daughter phoned him to say she had seen it on Sky Sports News.

The former Wales international remains a popular figure at Swansea having made more than 300 appearances for the club across two spells during his playing career before moving into coaching. He was part of Rodgers’ staff who helped the club win promotion to the Premier League in 2010-11.

When I saw him in the media room before Liverpool faced Swansea at the Liberty Stadium around a year after his time at Anfield had ended, he explained that he had been “busy doing the garden”.

“I do miss the buzz of coaching and I am looking to get back into it. We’ll see what comes up and if the phone rings,” he said. I suggested that an interview would be a good way to get his name out there and he said he would think about it. A message arrived a few days later to say that he appreciated the offer but he had decided not to do it.

He was working for a South Wales radio station that day but that never became a regular gig. Swansea City’s hospitality department reached out in the hope that he would agree to be a guest speaker in their suites on matchdays but he wasn’t keen on the idea.

Pascoe lives just 10 miles away from the Liberty Stadium in the town of Port Talbot with his wife Maureen. They have three children, Theo, Tyler and Molly.

“Colin is a private guy and he’s just stepped right out of it,” a friend of the former Liverpool assistant tells The Athletic. “The family businesses take up a lot of his time and that keeps him busy. How things finished at Liverpool hurt him. I don’t think he’s spoken to Brendan since.

“How do you go from coaching Coutinho and Suarez to dropping off the radar? You would have thought having Liverpool on your CV would lead to offers coming in as Colin was a highly respected and experienced coach. He’s still got a lot to offer.”

The Pascoes run The Welcome pub on Station Road in Port Talbot and Bar Gallois nearby on Victoria Road. They also have a bar in the town of Adeje in Tenerife.

When Brendan Rodgers made the move from Swansea to Liverpool in the summer of 2012 he brought three key members of staff with him. Along with Colin Pascoe, there was Glen Driscoll as head of performance and Chris Davies as head of opposition analysis. Driscoll is now first-team fitness coach at Leicester City and Davies is assistant manager there.

Pascoe had been part of the staff at Swansea since 2005 but was promoted to the role of No 2 by Rodgers in 2010 and their double act blossomed.

“Colin is in tune with how I want to build and play and knows exactly what the model is,” Rodgers said in 2012. “He is a very talented coach. Colin was an outstanding international player so has experienced the highs and lows. He was a loyal servant to Swansea and importantly he knows how I work and we get on well professionally and personally.”

pascoe-gerrard
Pascoe with Steven Gerrard and Kolo Toure (Photo: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Pascoe, who relished the opportunity to work at such an elite level, added: “Brendan and I share similar beliefs and we hit it off straight away. When he arrived at Swansea, we talked through the philosophy of the style Brendan wanted to play.

“Our ideas were similar and it’s great to work with someone who likes the team to get the ball down, pass it and move it, but also work hard off the ball too. It was a dream come true to come here. I am sure there are exciting times ahead.”

Young striker Adam Morgan was part of the squad in Rodgers’ first season in charge.

“When I think about Colin Pascoe, I think about his song,” laughs Morgan.

“’He wears shorts when it is fucking freezing!’. We’d be going out to train in the middle of winter and I’d be looking at him thinking: ‘Why haven’t you stuck a pair of trackie bottoms on?’. He was tough. That was a sign of his character and mentality.

“I didn’t work with him for as long as I’d have liked but he was a good coach. I learned a lot from him. He was very knowledgeable and approachable. He enjoyed a laugh and a joke with the lads.

“Brendan always led the way with training. Brendan was the most hands-on manager I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t a situation where the manager watches on as the assistant takes the sessions. Colin and Marshy would just say a few things.

“Brendan and Colin seemed like they were best mates. I was surprised to hear they had stopped working together.”

Pascoe featured in the opening episode of the TV documentary Being: Liverpool when Rodgers revealed to the cameras that Pascoe’s son Theo was dating Rodgers’ daughter Mischa.

“We don’t think about it much,” Rodgers told the Fox crew. “It just happened for some reason.” Theo had worked as a model for retail brand Hollister.

When Rodgers was struck down by norovirus in December 2012, Pascoe took charge of Liverpool’s Premier League trip to struggling Queens Park Rangers. Luis Suarez scored twice before Daniel Agger’s header wrapped up an emphatic 3-0 victory.

Pascoe was forced to deliver his pre-game and half-time team talks on a series of scribbled notes handed to Marsh after he also started to feel unwell.

“What I remember about that game is being sat on the bench urging Colin to bring me on,” Jamie Carragher tells The Athletic.

“I was getting close to 500 Premier League games for Liverpool and I desperate to be out there. We were well on top and I got on with a few minutes to go.

pascoe-rodgers
Pascoe in conservation with Brendan Rodgers on the bench (Photo: Stu Forster/Getty Images)
“Colin was a nice fella. He used to take the warm-up before matches but Brendan was always the main man when it came to putting on training sessions and doing team talks. Looking back Brendan probably took on a bit too much responsibility.

“Chris Davies was a good lad. You could tell back then he had something about him and he’s gone on to have an even bigger role alongside Brendan at Leicester.”

Pascoe was there throughout the 2013-14 season when Liverpool produced an unexpected and thrilling title challenge as Suarez and Daniel Sturridge ran riot. After Steven Gerrard’s cruel slip against Chelsea, he was also there to help Rodgers try to pick up the pieces.

The following season things quickly unravelled. Liverpool made a hash of replacing Barcelona-bound Suarez as they ended up signing Mario Balotelli. They also squandered £20 million on Lazar Markovic. Sturridge’s injury nightmare started and there was the Sterling contract saga.

That night in the Bernabeu when Pascoe’s name was chanted by the away fans proved to be one of many low points. The pre-game excitement soon turned to anger when the teamsheet dropped. Rodgers controversially left out Gerrard, Coutinho, Henderson, Sterling, Balotelli and Glen Johnson with one eye on the following league game against Chelsea.

Having worked so hard to get the club back on to the biggest of stages, key players were fuming about missing out. The heroics of Simon Mignolet helped keep the score down to 1-0 against Real Madrid but Chelsea won 2-1 at Anfield four days later.

Any lingering hope that something could be salvaged from the season was ended by a dismal display in the FA Cup semi-final against Aston Villa at Wembley.

But the final chapter proved to be the worst. Liverpool’s spineless capitulation to Stoke was the club’s heaviest defeat for more than half a century. They were 5-0 down at half-time. The fact it was Gerrard’s farewell game made the manner in which Rodgers’ side threw in the towel even more difficult to stomach.

“Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong,” Gerrard wrote in his autobiography. “There was no fight, no balls, no character, no passion. I couldn’t believe I was in a Liverpool team.”

colin-pascoe
Pascoe wearing shorts in the dugout in January next to Brendan Rodgers (Photo: Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Liverpool finished sixth with a dozen league defeats under their belt. Suddenly, Rodgers was fighting for his job.

The following week, he sat down with FSG president Mike Gordon and club chairman Tom Werner for an extensive end-of-season review.

The outcome was that Rodgers survived but on the basis that the staff around him changed. Marsh’s contract wasn’t renewed and the final year of Pascoe’s deal was paid up.

Some viewed them as sacrificial lambs, convenient scapegoats for what had gone wrong.

“I’m very disappointed,” midfielder Joe Allen said at the time. “He’s been a huge part of my career and a massive help to me on a personal level. Without someone like Pasc’s help, I doubt I’d be playing at a club like Liverpool.”

Rodgers always insisted the changes were his decision rather than something forced upon him by the owners.

“That was difficult morally because they’re both good guys,” he said.

“However, I felt I just needed to change the dynamic within that side of it. I just felt that we needed to move in a different technical direction. That was a decision that was purely made by myself.”

O’Driscoll, who replaced Pascoe, had one of the shortest coaching stints in the club’s history. Having arrived for pre-season in July, he was gone along with Rodgers by early October. By the end of that season, the former England Under-19s coach had also been sacked by Walsall. He has since coached in the academies at Wolverhampton Wanderers and Portsmouth.

McAllister was kept on as a club ambassador after Klopp’s appointment and is now Gerrard’s trusted assistant at Rangers. Rodgers was right to believe Lijnders had huge potential, with the Dutchman having taken on extra responsibility and been massively influential in the success Liverpool have enjoyed under Klopp.

As for Pascoe, he’s still waiting for that phone to ring.

Swansea City v Stoke City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back