• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Official Swansea City v Barnsley Match Thread

What will the result be against Barnsley?

• Swans win

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Barnsley win

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
Swansea City v Barnsley
The Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Saturday December 19 2020, 3.00pm Kick Off

The Swans play their last match before Christmas on Saturday when we welcome Barnsley to the Liberty Stadium.

The joy of a derby day victory over Cardiff last Saturday was quickly ended with the totally inept performance at Derby in midweek that saw us beaten 2-0 - the Rams first home league win of the season.

Steve Cooper will be keen to make sure that the Swans put that behind them before having a rare seven days away from league action before returning on Boxing Day.

Barnsley arrive in South Wales on the back of three wins in their last four outings and having not drawn a game since October (7 wins, 4 defeats) so it doesn't promise to be an easy afternoon although our recent home form should give us good cause for optimism.

As ever on Planet Swans we have for you some of the most comprehensive pre-match coverage in our matchday thread that will bring you all you need to know over the next few days ahead of the game on Saturday.

Why not also share your views on what changes Cooper needs to make following the debacle in midweek and how can we ensure we go into Christmas on the back of a morale boosting win.

The match will be broadcast live on Swans TV.

View attachment Swans TV 2.jpg

LAST TIME OUT AT LIBERTY STADIUM
Swansea City 0 Barnsley 0
Sky Bet Championship
29th December 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNDy1eS_5eY

LAST TIME OUT AT OAKWELL
Barnsley 1 Swansea City 1
Sky Bet Championship
19th October 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Xf8uCh7n8

BARNSLEY'S LAST MATCH
Barnsley 2 Preston North End 1
Tuesday December 15 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1jL7Ecqx1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTb_wilrJAY

SWANSEA'S LAST MATCH
Derby 2 Swansea 0
Wednesday December 16 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkwRgm6MSDo

MEET THE REF

Saturday's Ref is Andy Davies

Andy Davies Swansea.jpg

Andy Davies will take charge of the Swans game against Barnsley on Saturday. Davies, who originates from Hampshire, is best known for being the only Football League referee to previously having been contracted as a player having spells at Gillingham, Portsmouth and Yeovil before injury cut short his playing career at the age of just 28.

He started his career as a referee in 2004/5 and was appointed to the league list in 2012/13 and the Select 2 group of referees in 2016/7 and he now has more than 200 EFL refereeing appearances to his name.

Saturday will be his 8th Championship appearance of the season with the previous 7 games seeing him award 21 yellow cards and 1 red together with 4 penalties. He is yet to take charge of the Swans this season but did referee Barnsley in their 1-1 draw at Millwall back in October.

His last game in charge of the Swans was back in February where he oversaw a 3-1 win at the Liberty over Huddersfield and this will be his 5th game in charge of the Swans overall.

Davies will be assisted by Graham Kane and Mark Russell whilst Tom Reeves will be the fourth official.

View attachment Andy Davies Referee.jpg

BLAST FROM THE PAST
Swansea City 2 Barnsley 2
The Football League One Play-Off Final
The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
27 May 2006
Barnsley win 4-3 on penalties

For this week's "Blast from the past" we take you back to a painful day in the capital where the Swans hopes of a second win inside two months at the Millennium Stadium were ended with a play off final defeat in the cruellest of fashions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJiKm7FhPk&t=534s

The Planet Swans Match Report

Having experienced the pain of a play off final defeat before I thought nothing could ever eclipse a last minute free kick as the worst way to lose. I was wrong. Seeing your season end on a penalty shoot out to deny you a place in the next division up is plainly extremely painful and not something I want to dwell on for too long in our shortened close season.

I think that the worst thing about penalty shoot outs are they create villains where maybe there should be none. We were the better team over the 120 minutes and should have wrapped it up before it came to penalties but we didn't and that created the biggest pun as we paid the ultimate penalty.

s-l300.jpg

I would honestly love to give you a massive breakdown of the match - a minute by minute blow account - but I seriously can't as the game passed by in a haze of nail bitting, head in hands moments, sheer unadulterated joy at times and a period of clock watching. I will try but I can't promise chapter and verse

As expected, Kenny Jackett sent an unchanged side out from the one that triumphed so well at Brentford what seems like an eternity ago. One change on the bench saw the fit again Kevin McLeod back in the squad at the expense of Adrian Forbes

_41695858_fallon220.jpg

Big Willy

Tatey Stone Cold Monk Sam

Big Leon KOL OTJ Robbo

Ickle Leon Rory

Subs: Murphy, Macca, LT10, Bayo, Williams

As I said short of the goals, little stands out in the game because of the nerves but here goes with the goals

Swans 0 Barnsley 1 - A cross from Barnsley's right is flicked backwards by Austin in an attempt to clear but it falls nicely at the feet of Paul Hayes who strikes a clean crisp shot into the bottom corner to give them the lead

View attachment Barnsley celebrate.jpg

Swans 1 Barnsley 1 - The goal of the game. A ball in the air in the penalty area is met by a flying kiwi with a left footed scissors kick and back across the keeper and into the corner. Da Da Da Da Rory Fallon

Swans 2 Barnsley 1 - A poor shot from Robbo is inexplicable pushed into the back of his own net by Colgan and the Swans are ahead before half time.

Swans 2 Barnsley 2 - Nardiello hits a low free kick around the wall and within a cats whisker of Willy who cannot move in time to prevent the equaliser and the ground atmosphere is reversed with more noise for the time being from the red end

View attachment Bayo Misses.jpg

So that's about an hour of the game in the nutshell, now fast forward to five minutes to go and a cross from their left sees a Barnsley man ghost in at the back post surely to score the winner? Nope, his downward header is so downward it has time to bounce back up and over the bar. Phew sighs the black and white end

Two minutes later we watch Alan Tate latch onto a Britton (?) pass. Hit it Tatey, Hit it. This is our moment surely? Nope, high and wide and the game goes to extra time. Only fair to say here that there were more chances than the two described but they were the best non-goal chances for either side and the ones that stick out

Best chance in extra time falls to Trunds who screws wide from six yards after a typically mazy run. Penalties and the misses fall to Bayo who shoots over after pausing and Tate who sees his saved by Colgan which confirms Barnsley's place in the Championship next season and heartbreak for 34000 Jacks inside the ground.

View attachment Tatey misses.jpg

And so what started out as an adventure against Tranmere back in August ends with great pain in Cardiff on May bank holiday weekend. In just over three weeks the fixtures for the new season will be released and instead of scanning for trips to Sunderland, Cardiff and Coventry it's Scunthorpe, Crewe and Carlisle on the menu once again. Unlucky today lads, you really were.

This match report was first produced on Planet Swans on 27 May 2006

View attachment Barnsley win.jpg

Swansea manager Kenny Jackett

It's a bitter disappointment, particularly considering we had more chances and more of the play. I'm a little bit disappointed with the free-kick from which they scored. It looked like we offered the lad half the goal to sidefoot it into.

But we had more than enough chances to win the game, it was almost indicative of our season.

But what we will do is come back even stronger. We'll make sure the disappointment we feel now will drive us on to be a more successful club next season.

Barnsley manager Andy Ritchie

The players were absolutely magnificent and they deserve a great deal of credit. And the crowd were also absolutely superb and the character of the players showed through.

We always felt that we could get a goal back when we were 2-1 down and at half-time we got them to focus

We were under the cosh at the end and one or two of the players falling down with cramp and a few had injuries as well.

They were a bit quiet at half-time which worried me a little bit but it's absolutely tremendous. I can't put it into words

_41696408_swanseaend416.jpg

Barnsley goalkeeper Nick Colgan

I wanted the roof to open up and take me up after my mistake. But that's the nature of goalkeeping, one minute you are the villain and the next you are a hero.

If we'd lost 2-1 - no matter what has happened during the season - I would have been remembered for that reason.

_41696328_penaltysave416.jpg

Weather warning in place for the South Wales area tomorrow for heavy persistent rain, and more heavy rain forecast for Saturday, could end up being a lottery on that pitch 😳

Me thinks some people are playing funny buggers with the poll on this thread

No idea what it is achieving mind but so long as you're having fun, you carry on 🤣🤣

https://twitter.com/Screech19676719/status/1339634134591913984

https://twitter.com/JamesMyles3/status/1339628229888528385

In the opposition dug out

View attachment Valérien Ismaël.jpg

Valérien Ismaël

45 year old Ismaël was appointed Barnsley manager on 23 October 2020, his 7th managerial role following a playing career that saw him make over 330 appearances for 7 clubs including spells at Crystal Palace (1998) and Bayern Munich (2005-7)

Ismaël replaced Gerhard Struber who left in October to take charge of MLS side New York Red Bulls after just 11 months in charge and after the MLS side met a "substantial release clause" to appoint him. He had previously questioned the ambition of the Barnsley owners.

Twice as a player he won the league and cup double (Werder Bremen in 2003 and Bayern Munich in 2006) and represented France at Under-18 and Under-21 level. He never represented France at a senior level but did make himself available for Germany but was rejected by them and he himself rejected the chance to represent Togo at the 2006 World Cup despite qualifying through his wife's family.

Valérien Ismaël 2.jpg

Commenting on the appointment, Dane Murphy - CEO of Barnsley said:
In Valérien we have a young, ambitious coach who already possesses a wealth of footballing experience across the continent. Throughout the recruitment process, he was the standout candidate and his style of play will complement our philosophy.

Valérien is aware of the quality within our squad and with his guidance, the board believe that he is well suited to continuing our players’ development whilst simultaneously solidifying our position in the Sky Bet Championship.

At the time of his appointment, Ismaël himself said
I would like to thank Paul Conway and Dane Murphy for the open and productive dialogue that we've had up to this point, and for the great chance that they have given me to manage in English football as the coach of Barnsley FC.”

I feel a great deal of excitement about the new position and the new challenges that it brings, and I can't wait to get to know the team, my coaching staff, everyone who works at the club, and of course the Reds fans at Oakwell too, so that together we can get started and hit the ground running!”

Upon Ismaël's appointment Barnsley found themselves 21st in the table but have risen to 12th in the table under his leadership and now sit just four points outside the play off positions ahead of their game at the Liberty.

Following their midweek win over Preston (highlights here)
Victor Adeboyejo - scorer of the Tykes' winning goal - commented about the manager

I do feel like we’re a bit more direct as a team

He’s got us playing direct and aggressively. He’s also given us a lot of confidence by showing he’s willing to give anyone a chance.

Not that Gerhard (Struber) didn’t do that, but it’s something that’s clearly working.

Valérien Ismaël 4.jpg

ANDRE AYEW | DEFEAT IS DISAPPOINTING, BUT THINGS CAN CHANGE QUICKLY

Source: Official Site

“We are always disappointed to lose. Overall, it’s been a decent start, but that’s all that it is so far,” he said.

“There are so many games to play, even within the space of a week the table can change so much, but that’s the nature of the Championship and it’s what we have to deal with given the congested fixture list due to Covid.

“We have things we need to build on and things we need to improve on, I think that is the same for every side.

“I hope to bring my experience to help the team because, even though you will lose games, it is about how you handle those things.

“I think we have been good at that this season, we have to keep that going and make sure there are more good things than bad.”

You can check out the latest free digital matchday programme of the season as Swansea City host Barnsley at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

The 10th Jack Magazine of the 2020-21 campaign includes the usual head coach and captain’s notes, plus features from the first team and around the club.

We have a feature interview with Andre Ayew as the Ghanaian forward reveals the sense of responsibility to his family and to African footballers that has driven him during his career, and underlines why he desperately wants to get Swansea City back in the Premier League.

We also take a look back at a century in the Football League for the Swans, and bring you the latest news from our academy set-up.

We also bring you all the information on our opponents, and highlight the work of the club’s Community Trust.

We will also be embedding some video features within the programme, including match highlights and player features.

You can read the Swans v Barnsley Jack Magazine online for free HERE.

Swans-20-21-Programme-Issue-10-Web-V01.jpg

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back